MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 11-29-2004   #1
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Defi vs Autometer

I'd like to get some nice gauges for my 2g (boost, egt, oil pressure). I've been looking at Autometer's Cobalt series and the Defi gauges that black out when they're off. I know the Defi's are a little more expensive (retail) but are they any better than the Autometers? I know all the Defis come in metric (thats not a problem). Anyone out there happy with or have any complaints with the Cobalt or Defi gauges?
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Autometer is ok but from my experience not worth the money they charge... Ive had a boost guage fall apart and it read about 2 psi off of what it should have. If your going all out on nice guages get something else, like greddy or defi or some other brands.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Autometers are very cheap, basic gauges. I used them and had good luck with them, they got the job done. Defi gauges are very good quality (and quite spendy), and actually should be available in American units of measurement. I believe Defi and GReddy gauges are made by the same manufactuer with GReddy only available in metric.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #4
sleepydsm
Kevin

Oh I didnt know they made Defi in standard measurements. I'll have to look into that! And, yes I know they are spendy, and I could be putting the money towards "go faster" parts but who cares.
Old 11-29-2004   #5
SuperSleeper

Drives: 2012 Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to SuperSleeper
I love the Defi D-series gauges. They match factory DSM lighting, and they're definitely a better product than Autometer. I've personally had 2 Autometer boost gauges lose their calibration, so I probably won't ever buy another one. When it comes to warning devices such as gauges, it's important to have something you can rely on. The $$ is worth it.
SuperSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #6
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
If you like digital gauges, check out SPA. They are really nice and give you 2 gauges in one. They aren't real cheap, but not as bad as Defi's.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #7
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm
Just like everyone else. My boost gauge isnt the most accurate. My readings are off a couple psi and it started a week after I got mine. My brother in law has the Defi gauges and has that Defi Link system that works really well. You can control a few Defi gauges with that Link system, its pretty cool. Plus, the Defi looks way better..especially the black out ones. If I had the money, I would've gotten Defi. For now I'm just getting the cheap temporary stuff.

Last edited by 1slowdsm; 02-22-2005 at 10:10 AM..
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #8
Sean485

Tournaments Won: 6

I have had my autometer boost, egt, and oil pressure gauges for over a year now and they still read fine

The autometers are a budget gauge and will work fine, the defi and greddy gauges are leaps and bounds ahead of autometer in terms of build quality (all autometers I have are accurate but they are just "cheap" with the faces wanting to fall off and such) and "bling factor" but thier purpose is the same, just quite a price difference for a gauge that mainly just looks better...
Old 12-03-2004   #9
sleepydsm
Kevin

Yeah. The nice Defi gauges you have to buy the "Link" box which adds a few hundred to the bill, while I found some Autometer Cobalts on ebay for cheap (boost $199 msrp, $140 shipped ebay). I've got to ponder more.
Old 12-03-2004   #10
jpretz

Send a message via AIM to jpretz
Defi's are crazy cool gauges.

My autometers suck.
jpretz is offline   Reply With Quote