MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2010   #1
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
92 Talon Tsi

This is my fist fwd dsm, and its going to need a hand full of work to get this thing drivable. I bought the car on Monday night, and in the 2 days it took to get over there with gas and a dealer plate the AFC was stolen. So I jumped the maf wire and drove the thing home, the clutch does not release so I had to start the car in 1st and shift with out the clutch, which it did shift fine for the most part.

We managed to get the car into the garage last night and started to look it over, I already had a long list of issues when I looked at the car Monday.

Here is the list I know of now: The front suspension is done for, it bottoms out on everything and makes all sorts of banging and clunking noises, crappy lowering springs and blown out shocks. The lower alternator bolt is a home depot bolt with no nut, after hammering it back in it only worked its way out about 2" in 7miles. The water pump pulley was on backwards so it was eating the belt. the exhaust only had 1 nut holding it onto the o2 housing, and it was backed off about 1/2", so I took the m12x1.25 nut from the driver side motor mount and bolted that back up. Both front axels have blown out CV boots. The bolts holding the strut to the front knuckle were loose, and of the wrong size so they flopped around a lot. The front driver side break line was not attached to the strut and ended up under the drive side axel. The front motor mount cross bolt is missing the nut. The car was said to have a Evo 3 16g, but its just a normal mitsu big 16g. I see a few oil leaks that need to be fixed. When I looked at the car the starter was falling out, it was missing the top bolt and the bottom one was loose, and there is no spacer plate between the tranny and engine. The lug nuts are not the correct style, most of them are tapper seat nuts and the stock wheels are a shoulder style lug nut. The shifter cables are missing the proper clips to hold them on the brackets. The oil pressure gauge was not wired up at all, the sending unit is in the center counsel. The lower ball joints and tie rod ends need to be replaced. The exhaust needs to be fixed, it leaks all over and is dragging on the ground. There is a 2g TB elbo with some exhaust reducer to the stock 1g piping and a vented BOV. No PCV or crank vent lines hooked up. Its missing the metal plates that bolt onto the head for the timing belt cover. The clutch does not release, it seems to be a mix of clutch disk and hydraulics not working, a clutch maser and slave, new TO bearing, new clutch disk and pressure plate. The injectors were said to be PTE 550's, but they look like yellow top mitsu 550s. There are bare wires coming out of the fuse box on the passanger front fuse box, and a ton of extra wires under the dash.

I have a few ideas on what to do with the car. First I will fix everything that is wrong with the car, then either sell the Toyota I drive now or sell the dsm. If I keep the DSM I would have easy access to used parts for when stuff breaks, and it could be a fun car all said and done. There are only a few rust spots and I have access to the missing interior panels to make it more complete.

Here are some pics of the car:

about as much fail as you can contain in a small space.

More to come as I pull the tranny off today, then over the week put this back together and make it a drivable dsm.

~John