MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2011   #1481
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

I really don't think my car is going anywhere for the cruise, lol.

I'll update when there is something to update.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #1482
santa
Boost Spike

Drives: 93 talon Automagickinda....
Send a message via AIM to santa

Any update besides the weather?
Old 04-29-2011   #1483
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
Any update besides the weather?
He's updated the X forum thread but not this one, I see.

One of the rod bearings got pounded into a pancake. The last I heard was that DB had the motor out of the car but the tear down wasn't complete.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #1484
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
He's updated the X forum thread but not this one, I see.

One of the rod bearings got pounded into a pancake. The last I heard was that DB had the motor out of the car but the tear down wasn't complete.
Pretty much this...we still have no idea what went wrong.

I am waiting to hear from DB as to what went wrong. I haven't asked them this week so not sure where it is.

I guess good news is if I need a new crank, which is probable, Hotdog offered me one of his stock ones for free.

I didn't want to update as there isn't much to say yet.
Old 04-29-2011   #1485
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I guess good news is if I need a new crank, which is probable, Hotdog offered me one of his stock ones for free.
Wow that is epic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #1486
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Hotdog would give you a good crank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #1487
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Wow that is epic!
I thought so...I just PM'ed him to ask about one of his cranks (haha, crank) and he was like, just send me shipping money and its yours...win.
Old 04-30-2011   #1488
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
Hotdog would give you a good crank...
What happens during crank walk? Nevermind...

Old 05-12-2011   #1489
Murlo26

Looks like at this point with DB's scary busy schedule, I am going to be sending the shortblock out to either AMS or ERL. AMS uses ERL but it will depend on who can turn it around the fastest unless ERL is 1000 cheaper or something I will just have AMS do the assembly. I trust both though.

I'm pretty much locked into a high comp 2.2L motor. It's an overbore motor with 90mm pistons and probably 10.5:1 compression. E98 will be my big power tune fuel, no more pushing it on pump gas stuff for me.

I am waiting to hear back on what Shane likes as far as 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 pistons but if he is ok with the 10.5:1 as long as boost isn't too high on pump E85 I will go with those.

I am hoping to make around 475-485whp on my normal tune on E70/E85 with 25-28psi.

Then maybe do like 33-35psi on E98 for 500+ on DB's dyno. I'll also be switching to FIC 1680's during this build as well. The DW1400's will be sent back to DW for inspection at some point.

I'd happily just let DB do their thing on my motor and rebuild it but time is important to me and I know they do their best but this is a bad time of the year to get work done fast and they simply don't have the time right now. It will be more expensive for sure to outsource by quite a bit but I want my evo back I miss it. So I am going to be outsourcing. I'd feel just as comfortable having MAP do the motor but I want to avoid any local shop "stuff" we'll call it, so that is my only reason for not using them.

So it looks like ERL said 1 month to turn the shortblock around and I am guessing 3 weeks once that is back to get the longblock together (totally dependent on workload obviously, 3 weeks is not busy at all so that is very hopeful). So unless AMS can turn the shortblock around in 2 weeks which I doubt as ERL is still the one doing the sleeves I am guessing late July is the earliest the car will be back together...sucks bad but it is what it is.

Maybe I'll see if AMS will use Darton or something to try and speed things up. I am all about speed for this build, I'll pay a bit more for faster service but I will wait longer if I need to if it'll cost me quality.
Old 05-12-2011   #1490
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I'm a bit confused why you'd go non-local when MAP is right there... They build damn good engines that are proven. Did DB take responsibility for the failure? Are they footing the bill for this next build? Also kinda confused why they aren't bumping you up in line and getting you taken care of ASAP considering everything you've had them do for you, especially with how patient you've been throughout this process.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1491
scheides
flips McGee

Sleeving the motor, wow! Are you going to be sending in your shortblock as a core or just purchasing a motor outright? When I was shopping, cores were nowhere to be found, national backorder and noone had anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1492
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'm pretty sure MAP currently either has 4B11 cores or can get them quickly (last I heard anyway).
Old 05-12-2011   #1493
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I'd feel just as comfortable having MAP do the motor but I want to avoid any local shop "stuff" we'll call it, so that is my only reason for not using them.
So god forbid you have another failure down the line you'll end up paying for the labor to remove and install plus ship it out to whomever builds it for inspection? Your logic is a bit confusing lol.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. I hate to see anyone go through something like this. I'm amazed at how patient you've been to this point.
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1494
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I'm pretty sure MAP currently either has 4B11 cores or can get them quickly (last I heard anyway).
They are readily available, turn around will depend mostly on Darton's time frame...
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1495
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

I'm very excited to see how a high compression X tunes up. When it comes time to fix my motor <sigh> it'll be at MAP.

Old 05-12-2011   #1496
Murlo26

Perhaps I shouldn't have even updated the thread until the car was running again by the looks of some of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I'm a bit confused why you'd go non-local when MAP is right there... They build damn good engines that are proven. Did DB take responsibility for the failure? Are they footing the bill for this next build? Also kinda confused why they aren't bumping you up in line and getting you taken care of ASAP considering everything you've had them do for you, especially with how patient you've been throughout this process.
I love MAP, I deal with them all the time and have had good experiences. I love DB as well that is why I have used them for tons of stuff including my motor build(s).

In my opinion I am in the shittiest situation ever. Sure I'd love to have MAP toss together a motor quick and be back on the road right away. However if everyone fails to acknowledge there is bad blood between DB and MAP you guys are crazy haha. I don't know what else to do guys. My stress levels are at an all time high right now at work, I am working crazy hours trying to accomplish projects outside my capability for a guy who quit last week that was my lead engineer. These are not fun times for me now, I'd love to cruise in the evo to let off some steam but I can't.

Shit happens in the modding game, I have no idea whose fault it is or why it failed...I just know what needs to be replaced. DB said they can't give me a timetable if I let them fix the shortblock in house. It's not their fault, I am a good customer of theirs I think and although I am, they have 100 good customers, I can't expect him to "bump" me to the front of the line.

What I am trying to avoid is getting my car back in winter again. I was very pleased with the whole process last time. I just am not prepared to go 2 whole summers without a car so I am trying to work with DB on the situation as best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Sleeving the motor, wow! Are you going to be sending in your shortblock as a core or just purchasing a motor outright? When I was shopping, cores were nowhere to be found, national backorder and noone had anything.
Shipping my block out. The block is still fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
So god forbid you have another failure down the line you'll end up paying for the labor to remove and install plus ship it out to whomever builds it for inspection? Your logic is a bit confusing lol.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. I hate to see anyone go through something like this. I'm amazed at how patient you've been to this point.
I know exactly what you are saying and you are right.

But as I said I am working with what I have, I don't know what else to do. I am trying to do this without pissing anyone off, realistically I shouldn't have to worry about that as its my money but I consider both shops my friends whether they do or don't I don't know.

I AM IN A PICKLE GUYS! I just want my car back. I think the plan I have in place is the best I can do with what I have but fuck if I know.
Old 05-12-2011   #1497
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

*got a bad feeling about this thread*
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1498
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

DB built you a motor, it failed, they can't promise you a timeframe to get another one done, so what right would they have to be pissed no matter who you chose to build your next engine...their rival or not?

Frankly, had their engine not failed you wouldn't be in this situation. Now note, I am not blaming DB, engines fail...unfortunately that's part of the risk we take in the modding game.
Old 05-12-2011   #1499
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

^

IIRC There are quite a few more factors in this engine fail then the fact that DB built it.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #1500
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
^

IIRC There are quite a few more factors in this engine fail then the fact that DB built it.
Please don't think I'm blaming the failure on DB, I am not. All I am saying is Murlo gave DB the opportunity to take care of his engine and if they're unable to then I see no reason why they'd be upset no matter where he decided to go to accommodate his timetable.

I'm just trying to look at the situation as a neutral outside party.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.