MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 06-24-2014   #181
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Project Black ValentNine AKA DSM9.0

Attended MAP PG2014.1 this weekend and holy hell what a fresh experience! I entered in the TTS class where you compete Drag, AutoX, and High-Speed AutoX on the 2.5 mile short track...basically tour of the track and go fast nonstop all weekend!

All I can say is that all of the practice I had at DCTC and all of the videos I watched didn't prepare me for the reality of full throttle 5th gear 100mph+ turns and 125mph pinning the throttle until the last last last moment for a turn...misjudge and you either waste a bunch of time OR overshoot and barrel off into a grove of trees! Then do that again and again, each time daring yourself to stop a little bit later than the time before. This isht is nuts!

One other thing--if you don't think road course/road racing is tough on your car...wow. I again...knew it was coming but the reality is summed up in one simple piece of data: in less than one hour of driving I went from a tip-top full tank of fuel to literally the gas light on. Seriously. So much nonstop WOT it is just crazy/awesome/amazing. Cars break when doing this, period. And the higher the level of competition? The more breakage--these guys going faster than me are ripping off numbers that frankly are just staggering. I am beyond humbled and impressed!

So, on with the car pics!

First off, I needed it! E85 tanker all loaded up for the long haul!

On the way to PG it's tradition for me to stop by DB on the way...I got worried I would need to bleed the brakes at some point so I picked up some StopTech STR600. I didn't end up using it, afterall but I think I'll swap it in for the next event (unless I hear otherwise):

Some um...interesting weather on the way up to Brainerd

While hanging out waiting for the ugly clouds to pass I noticed this, blah!!! Fixed with superglue.....held together just fine all weekend

All set for tech!

I am a lazy fat SOB at ~225 so the car is about 3220 with 3/4 tank of gas. Lots of work to do here...

Drag racing with this car is SUCH a dream compared to the EF4/6-puck on the X. The car is just crazy consistent...stock turbo torque, Exedy Twin...wow. My mom could launch this thing compared to the X!

First launch on the 2-step at 5800rpm (?) I burned all the way through first gear just wheelspin the entire way. Still ran a 12.3@112.9mph. 2.0 60' time.

Second launch I free-revved at about 4500rpm and ran 12.1@113mph. 1.9 60' time.

With a 1.6 or 1.7' 60' time, this car has a 11.9 in it no problemo! Still, I'm happy!

From then on the track got sticker and I tried adjusting launch RPM a few times. I *should* have just 2-stepped it and just slipped slipped slipped more but TTS only got 5 passes in before it was off to the autoX course...

Best drag pass.

Nice little camping spot!

AutoX went WAY better than I expected. I think all of the DCTC events are helping a lot here because I basically was lining up for my first run and thinking, 'gah, we ONLY get 6 tries at this?!?' and basically decided to just go balls to the wall on run #1, don't look back. My dad was in the car with me for the first two runs so that helped...I wanted to give him a fun ride

I ended up running a best of 29.7 and got veto'd my 6th run for some reason, Paul did too, probably because our cars are twins!

Anyways I was a little over a second off of some guys that I'd consider 'fast' and I'm still on a very stock-ish suspension and cheap-ass Fuzion ZRi tires. Ricer math says I can go way faster! Either way as it was I finished 12th of 34 in TTS (for autoX) and 15th of 115 AutoX entrants...if I had entered the 'regular' autoX I think if I looked correctly I would have been classed with Ryan in his Z06 vette and gotten second place right behind him

In the grid for AutoX

End of Saturday, successful and happy!

Sunday was again...a pants changer! I blabbed about it up top but it is just way over the top crazy what these guys do and what you can do yourself...I put this on par with some of the extreme skiing I've done...one small slip up and you are gonna get majorly hurt or maybe die.

When registering for TTS it said you got one 20-minute practice HPDE session before the standing-start competition. When we arrived, they told us we would get TWO practice sessions. I was pumped and a little nervous as I had signed up for the 'super size' package...for $50 you get two more 20-minute HPDE sessions...um yes, I had to. SO glad I did, you should see first lap compared to last lap, LOL! Its hilarious!

First run I think I did about a 118, bogged launch and timing equipment went dark.
Second run I did a 115
Third run I did a 113 (I think)
Fourth and Fifth, 112 I think?
Sixth run 110
Seventh and Eighth runs I did 110 and finally a 109.5--last car on the track I guess, they were going to shut it down since everyone was pu$$ying out and leaving...I wasn't ready to leave! I had just finished my 4,5,6th runs about 10 minutes prior and was still cooling off...screw it

How did the car do though? Well shyte I haven't even mentioned it yet in all my yammering but I literally FORGOT I put the COP in (that's how perfectly it worked!)...I had been concerned about a few of the connectors and my weak-ass wiring skillz but they ended up working awesome! I ran the car at 30psi all weekend, there were a few hiccups here and there but no knock AT ALL.

The car did NOT burn any oil.
The car did NOT lose any coolant.
The car did NOT leak from the freaking turbo oil drain anymore
The car did not break at all.
The brakes held up fantastic! Zero brake fade--I will watch for it but I'm very very happy with the Hawk HP Plus pads and Binary brake ducts...so simple, just works works works.

Quite simply the car did not skip a beat. The motor/trans that Ron @ RS put together is a goddamn tank. The tune is still the one Shane@DB Performance put on years ago and again it is fantastic.

**asterisk time** I plan on tearing into the car and looking things over in the next few weeks so...yea, maybe I'll be eating my words here but as far as I'm concerned, the car made it home in one piece = success!

In the paddock cooling off

Brake calipers...are a lot more brown/black now than when I arrived. Probably just some dirt/dust right? Sigh...they did their job.....

Results?
Overall, I finished 6th of 15 in my class and 10th of 34 competing in TTS. Not too bad for a newbie!

So after all this, I've been working on this project since February and I'm SO glad I did it and I'm SO thankful to everyone that's helped along the way--its hopefully all documented here and I am SO HAPPY! I had a freaking blast blast blast and can't wait to see what happens next!

Oh, and I made a video. I haven't done one with music in a LONG time but since this weekend really tops off the last 6 months or so for me, here it is. Please enjoy ( and don't laugh at me too much, I have a LOT to learn still!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4kcZK7980&hd=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #182
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Looks like you had a blast. How do they setup the classes, is it weighted such as auto-x? Or just run what you brought; fastest wins?
Old 06-24-2014   #183
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx

looked like fun. cool to see your dad there with you as well
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #184
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Nice post and sweet video. I'm surprised you let the gas get that low, haha. But I guess my first time on track I didn't realize how much gas I was using and got down to low fuel light at the end of a session, then it made sense. Buddy of mine here says he uses about 3 gallons per 20 minutes on E85, crazy.

Those maroon calipers means you're using your car like Mitsubishi intended.

Great to hear you are enjoying the car, looks like you took some pretty good lines in the autox and road course, I like the instructor video at the end, they help a ton, so worth it to have a few ride-a-long laps. Did they suggest you go to 5th for the main straights? And then 4th for the slower parts of the course? I was always shifting from 3rd to 4th in the little straights, and then back to 3rd before the corners; maybe it makes sense just to stay in 4th (at least to save the transmission).

Josh, I think the classes are just general car groupings, and then fastest time wins. No PAX timing like autox, but street cars don't compete with the full race cars. Classes:

N/A class: 4 cyl, street tires, interior, etc.
Super Street class: STOCK turbo, STOCK cams, STOCK internals, STOCK injectors. No vettes, GTR, Viper, 911 GTx, Exige, or other exotics. Street tires, interior, etc
Street Unlimited class: 140+ Treadwear tires, full interior, lights, etc
Full race class: any mods

Last edited by asshanson; 06-24-2014 at 02:24 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #185
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Looks like a blast, glad you had fun!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #186
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Good work, dude! That car is a rip, even on crap rubber, can't wait to see it on the good stuff.

Also, our cars weigh the same! You have no idea how friggin' happy this makes me considering I've got an SSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #187
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Looks like you had a blast. How do they setup the classes, is it weighted such as auto-x? Or just run what you brought; fastest wins?
TTS is awesome IMHO because when you are doing all of the events, you are actually out running with the fast fast guys, you get to see bits and pieces of how they attack/approach different corners, starting, etc and honestly it rubs off on ya. I do my best to stay the flark out of their way if I'm ever in front of them though!

Within TTS it's roughly like autoX classes but as andrew posted there are only a few groups. So, even though my car is way way stock, the built 2.0 and 1000cc injectors put me over the top into Unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmreck View Post
looked like fun. cool to see your dad there with you as well
I did, thanks! He had a blast and I'm super pumped he came!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Nice post and sweet video. I'm surprised you let the gas get that low, haha. But I guess my first time on track I didn't realize how much gas I was using and got down to low fuel light at the end of a session, then it made sense. Buddy of mine here says he uses about 3 gallons per 20 minutes on E85, crazy.

Those maroon calipers means you're using your car like Mitsubishi intended.

Great to hear you are enjoying the car, looks like you took some pretty good lines in the autox and road course, I like the instructor video at the end, they help a ton, so worth it to have a few ride-a-long laps. Did they suggest you go to 5th for the main straights? And then 4th for the slower parts of the course? I was always shifting from 3rd to 4th in the little straights, and then back to 3rd before the corners; maybe it makes sense just to stay in 4th (at least to save the transmission).

Josh, I think the classes are just general car groupings, and then fastest time wins. No PAX timing like autox, but street cars don't compete with the full race cars. Classes:

N/A class: 4 cyl, street tires, interior, etc.
Super Street class: STOCK turbo, STOCK cams, STOCK internals, STOCK injectors. No vettes, GTR, Viper, 911 GTx, Exige, or other exotics. Street tires, interior, etc
Street Unlimited class: 140+ Treadwear tires, full interior, lights, etc
Full race class: any mods
Ya I was honestly shocked when I looked down and saw that and had a real 'oh shit' moment.

Someone had told me that doing brake ducts would help keep the calipers nice and red and like a good little DSM'er I believed them! To be fair though, my newbie butt kept stretching out my braking zones (I was scurred!) and probably added a lot of extra heat to the brakes that I didn't need to. They were a little worn after 130k miles and even beat up from the brake job I just did on them (pound pound pound!) so whatever. Brownbos. Yea.

The crazy thing is how black they actually looked when they were first darkening at the track. I kinda liked them that color

Gearing-wise, the first instructor was trying to get me to stay in 4th through the straights/fast section and after the 2nd lap I wanted to go a lot faster and he realized that mayyybe his BMW was geared a little different than the uber-low gearing of the IX. Even with the evo8 4th gear I was way high in the revs cruising through turn 1.

End of the day, 3rd gear leaving turn 13 only, 5th gear through turn 1, and 4th gear leaving turn 2 and on. Maybe I could knock off a little time shifting to 3rd in a few spots but honestly--stock turbo son! The thing has torque so low in the powerband I hardly thought about leaving 4th. Maybe this is why several people broke 4th gear this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Looks like a blast, glad you had fun!
Yup, and I didn't die. That's a plus!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 06-24-2014   #188
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
Good work, dude! That car is a rip, even on crap rubber, can't wait to see it on the good stuff.

Also, our cars weigh the same! You have no idea how friggin' happy this makes me considering I've got an SSL.
it's probably those heavy heavy I-beam rods in the motor?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-24-2014   #189
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

You are now mayor of titty city! Nice stuff!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #190
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
it's probably those heavy heavy I-beam rods in the motor?
Super light coilovers and no front 5mph impact beam. That's what I know of anyway.

Still, 3200lbs race weight for a IX isn't too shabby.
Quote:
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
Old 06-24-2014   #191
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I love watching this thread, it is the most convincing thing to buy an evo seeing you use it as mitsu had intended.

I need to get a ride with you at one of these track days, I know you like being modest but I feel with the seat time you have combined with your mindset you are not some slow noob that you try to infer to being.

Don't forget about this thread, it is awesome to see the fun you are having with this.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #192
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Quote:
I need to get a ride with you at one of these track days, I know you like being modest but I feel with the seat time you have combined with your mindset you are not some slow noob that you try to infer to being.
Right? I rode with him at the last DCTC event and he was tearing it up!
Quote:
Old 06-24-2014   #193
Mark Leasure

It’s awesome to see your progress into the turn style racing, congratulations on your weekend! It’s great that the car held together and that you had such a great time! It’s very inspirational too, especially for me. I’m very impressed and starting to get inspired to try it out for myself!
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #194
scheides
flips McGee

Hell yea!

All I can say is if you are thinking about trying this: brakes brakes and tires! At minimum, bleed your brake fluid with some good quality fluid. If you plan on doing it more than once, consider some track pads. HP Plus are awesome and cheap. Last, make sure you have decent tires. My fuzions are iffy in general, but being an 'ultra high-performance summer tire' and having a lot of tread on them when I started...I deemed them ok for learnin' to turn. Now that I have 4 events under my belt, they will be the first to go.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-24-2014   #195
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leasure View Post
It’s awesome to see your progress into the turn style racing, congratulations on your weekend! It’s great that the car held together and that you had such a great time! It’s very inspirational too, especially for me. I’m very impressed and starting to get inspired to try it out for myself!
Either of your evos would be insane for this.
Dat 6266 dough!!!
Old 06-24-2014   #196
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Dat 6266 dough!!!
Lag is a bitch on the road course and you don't want a sudden surge of power.
Old 06-24-2014   #197
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Scheides ready for Chumpcar? The speeds aren't quite as fast, but you do get to try to take those corners 2 or 3 cars wide.
Old 06-24-2014   #198
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looking good! Glad to see you out ripping it on the track!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #199
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Lag is a bitch on the road course and you don't want a sudden surge of power.
His dyno graph was quite impressive IIRC. But yeah I know a 5858 would be preferred.
Old 06-24-2014   #200
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Dat 6266 dough!!!
Quote:
His dyno graph was quite impressive IIRC. But yeah I know a 5858 would be preferred.
Honestly, KISS. The FASTEST evos out there are stock turbo (or stock frame) and not too big. Again I was SO glad to have a stock turbo...power just everywhere in the rev range and you don't get into any trouble if the revs get too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Scheides ready for Chumpcar? The speeds aren't quite as fast, but you do get to try to take those corners 2 or 3 cars wide.
Not sure where I'm going with this yet to be honest! I certainly am entertaining all ideas but for now I'm just focusing on budget (so I can keep going) and making sure to just have fun! We'll see what the rest of the summer holds but for now I'm super happy doing events like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
Looking good! Glad to see you out ripping it on the track!
SO FUN DUDE! Car is well sorted now, you should drive it again.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV