MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-20-2005   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Head Removal

Question: I'm taking my head off possibly tonight. Do I just need to remove the 10 head bolts? In between each of the spark plug holes is a large flat head bolt. It's an allen bolt about the size of 50cent piece. Do those need to come out too? What are they.

Thanks.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Head Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
Question: I'm taking my head off possibly tonight. Do I just need to remove the 10 head bolts? In between each of the spark plug holes is a large flat head bolt. It's an allen bolt about the size of 50cent piece. Do those need to come out too? What are they.

Thanks.
Those stay. They block either the oil or coolant passages.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #3
Onefast99gsx

Thanks Matt... By the way, i didn't have the correct socket for removing the head bolts. Looks like they are like a 12point type socket. Mine are just regular hex. Do you or anyone recall what size they are so i can just buy 1 socket instead of a set? I'm gonna guess it's between 12mm and 14mm.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2005   #4
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

If I remember correctly, it is a 14 but it has been a while since I pulled the head on a 2g without ARPs. Don't forget the intake manifold stay. It is under the intake manifold and bolts the intake manifold to the block. There are two 8mm bolts (14 soccet) on the intake mani and one on the block. Just remove the top two. I never put that back in the car. I always get rid of EGR though. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005   #5
Raptor
ConArtist

For all future reference, it goes like this. Stock 7 bolt use 12mm 12pt: 7bolts with ARP's use 1/2" 12 pt (13mm are too loose and can strip) Stock 6 bolts use 10mm socket head Allens and 6bolts with ARP's use 14mm 12pt sockets. Get decent sockets for this, I have seen people round them off trying to use their shitty Crapsman sockets on them. Not worth it, once they are rounded, they are a huge biatch to get out.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #6
Onefast99gsx

Thanks much guys! By no means am i a dummy on car stuff. I usually have to do things once though and then i'm fine with it. I wanna change the timing belt to while i'm at it but goll dammit, seems like you gotta take the pulleys off to get at the belt cover and also the motor mount and then try to get in there and loosen the bolts holding the cover on. Seems like a day of cussing.

Well since the tranny is out, that motor mount is the only thing hold the motor up because a jackstand at the other end of it. Would either of you suggest what to do for taking the head off. The book states to put the engine at TDC but i can't see the crank pulley notch because it's behind the cover to even put it at TDC. The only thing i was able to do is align the notches on the stock cam gears with each other.

Can i just put zippy ties on the belt and cam gears, pull the head off without the crank being at TDC and worry about that when i got the rest of the engine fastened down.

In otherwards i just wanna take the dam head off without worrying about the belt and TDC stuff.

THANKS!!!
Old 01-20-2005   #7
Raptor
ConArtist

Are you planning on taking the head off while the tranny is out of the car? If that is the case on the 2G, you better just pull the motor and do it the easy way. There would literally be no mounts holding it in. Don't make the mistake of hanging the cam gears and swapping the head, it is too easy to screw the timing up and make for bent valves when you get it back together. Just pull the motor, take all the timing covers etc off so you can put it to TDC then pull the belt and the head after. It will go really quickly with the engine out of the car. Not a good place to try skimping on a few hours of labor, it will just bite you in the end.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #8
Onefast99gsx

Yeah i guess, it just means i gotta remove more stuff like the A/C pump, power steering, water hoses, more wires hoses, etc... Just wasn't planning on pulling the block out just to remove the head but i surely see your point. Perhaps a 2nd option would be to get the tranny in and all mounted up and then do the head later when i can take off the driver side motor mount. Honestly, does that sound better? I really don't want to take the motor out until a 6bolt swap down the road or something.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005   #9
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar

ugh, mike, I think I'll do as you suggested as well. alkjsf!@#
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #10
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

Just pull the motor. Honestly, there are only a handfull of extra items you would need to pull. It is well worth it. It is a lot easier to work on the motor out of the car. I have done it both ways in a 1g and a 2g. All of the electrical connectors and sensors pretty much go to the head. There is not much at all connected to the block. To get the car at TDC, I always pull the pulies off and take the cover off. Then I put it at TDC. The only reason I would consider leaving it in is if you do not have access to a cherry picker. I have pulled motors in junk yards without and it is a bitch. I would never do the pull the head, tranny and then the block again. It is a PITA.
Old 01-20-2005   #11
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar

I think I'll pull it all out then, 2.4 or bust.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote