MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 05-21-2004   #1
TheBlackKnight
Mad Urban Biker

Hi peeps, here's the deal: The front end (95 TSi AWD) is making quite the howling noise combined with vibration at most speeds. The front tires were worn unevenly (soon to be replaced), so I thought this might be the problem. I swapped the fronts for the rears as they were good to see if it affected it. Well, it does the same thing.

Here's what's weird, If I'm making a normal left hand turn (or doing a *sway* to the left on the highway), the vibration goes away! Like no vibration at all basically, and it howls only a little. I can tell exactly when I turn my steering wheel back to the point when it vibrates and howls again.

Now, the shocks do need to be replaced, and I know bad shocks can cause the uneven tire wear. But like I said I had swapped the other tires on.

I checked the wheels for movement (wheel bearings), and there doesn't seem to be much. Do you think it's possibly one of the axles worn badly, steering rack?

Thanks for the help guys!
TheBlackKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBlackKnight@May 21 2004, 09:32 AM
I checked the wheels for movement (wheel bearings), and there doesn't seem to be much.
Much, or any? There should be absolutely zero play in the wheel bearings.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #3
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Breakout Champion! Field Goal FootBall Champion!
There is really quite a few possibilities.

If the problem only happens at high speeds, like when you are cruising on the freeway, the problem is most likely a wheel inbalance.

Another possibility are the tie rod ends. The reason I say this is due to the symptoms. Seems like there is play in the tie rod ends and the slack is taken out of them when you turn or "sway."

You can check your tie rod ends like you check a wheel bearing, but at different corners. Instead of grabbing the wheel at 12-6 grab the wheel at 3-9 and give it a wiggle back and forth. The wheel should be tight and have very little play in it. If there is play, have a friend do it while you look at the tie rod ends. See if they are moving back and forth while being wiggled.
Old 05-21-2004   #4
TheBlackKnight
Mad Urban Biker

I am thinking the tie road ends are likely, but I'll have to take a look later to check them. It happens at most speeds and it does wether or not it's in gear. And that would make sense with it being the tie-rod end(s) as the slack is taken out of them at a certain point when I turn.

Well, looks like more fixin' on the DSM. :razz2:

Gary
Old 05-21-2004   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Tie rods would not cause a howling noise. If they were bad, it would throw the alignment off and you could easily see uneven tread wear. Same with unbalanced wheels... Your steering wheel would shake at highway speeds, but there wouldn't be any noise.

While you're down there, check your CV boots for wear and tear. Make sure they're soft like rubber should be and not worn or cracked/torn.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #6
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Breakout Champion! Field Goal FootBall Champion!
I agree with the tie rods ends not making noise going down the road, but it could be a couple problems compunded. The bad tie rod ends would probably be why he has the uneven tire wear.
Old 05-29-2004   #7
TheBlackKnight
Mad Urban Biker

Put the car in the garage today and jacked the front end up.

Held the left front wheel at 3 and 9 and shook. Tada! Loose as a bitch. What's to blame? Tied rod end. $21 and couple hours later it's fixed.

So I take the TSi back on the road, guess what? The vibration is still there, and it does the same thing. Vibrates going straight, goes away when I turn left. shizzle.

Who else has some good ideas on this? Tie rods good, wheel bearings good, tires good, and the CV boots are not torn and appear ok.
Old 05-29-2004   #8
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Its sounds exactly like a wheel bearing to me, probably the driver side one.When you turn or sway left the load is taken off the driverside wheel bearing, which causes the vibration to stop.Bad bearings aren't always evident by play in the 12 and 6 position either.Loosen the axle nut and break the axle loose, then check for play at the 12 and 6 positions