PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket caused some damaged parts

Pages : [1] 2 3

mike55112
06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I blew my head gasket about a week and a half ago in the evo. I brought it to metro engine right in arden hills. They saw the surface and asked me where the hell did this get machined before. I had no clue cause I bought the entire long block from ron at rs motors. After the head was dissasembled I got a call from metro and they said I had one bent exhaust valve, WTF I said. I just dynoed it a few days before at map and made crazy good power on the fp white. There was no power loss and the timing was dead on when i removed the timing belt. How the hell could I bend a valve, here comes the crazy part. I got another call from metro today and they said that all my exhaust valves will need to be replaced cause there was wear on all of them. This head had less than 12k on it when the headgasket blew. Also the valve seals that were removed from the head were the incorrect sized ones. They all had unusual wear on them. All in all Im pretty pissed right now cause I thought I would just have to have the head resurfaced and then slap it back on with some L19 headstuds and a oem mls head gasket. Here is the wear on the valve seals
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/mike55112/mikesstuffforsale031.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/mike55112/mikesstuffforsale030.jpg

Kracka
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Ouch. Who did Ron have machine and assemble the head?

mike55112
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Ouch. Who did Ron have machine and assemble the head?

He told me the other day and then I forgot, to much shit going through my head to remember. I think I may go back to a stock longblock and just drive the evo for my daily and buy a different car to go fast in. Im getting sick of breaking my daily driver all the time. All I know is metro engine said that the surface of the head was machined very poorly and the exhaust valves were touching and wearing.

Matt D.
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Quality... What has Ron had to say about it?

Kracka
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Going back to a stock longblock (and ECU!!!) would be a great idea from a reliability standpoint. You'll run into far less issues and the car will more than likely run better/smoother while still making nearly as much power. Are you afraid your 2.3 might grenade itself here soon too?

mike55112
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Quality... What has Ron had to say about it?

First thing he said was that the tune that jordan did caused the headgasket to go, he told me there must have been to much timing. There was peak timing of 10, im on e-85. Then when I told him I had bent valves,the valve seals were the incorrect ones, and the surface of the head was poorly machined he told me to contact the machine shop that did the head in the first place. I dont know what to think anymore, metro engine said that with me using a cometic head gasket and the poorly machined head surface, there was no doubt what caused the headgasket to go. Im not sure if I even want to keep my engine anymore, I think I may put my 500+awhp goal on hold and just enjoy being able to drive my evo everyday again.

Shane@DBPerformance
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
The damage might have been done before your dyno at MAP, since the top end of your powerband from 5300RPMs+ looked messed up and down on power like something was wrong with the motor or head. An Evo dyno chart isn't supposed to look like hows your did.

mike55112
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
The damage might have been done before your dyno at MAP, since the top end of your powerband from 5300RPMs+ looked messed up and down on power like something was wrong with the motor or head. An Evo dyno chart isn't supposed to look like hows your did.

I agree with this, you saw my car at the dyno day on the other setup and that was also really messed up. I know for sure I had a bent valve, but how could I still make that power in the lower end with a bent valve?

Shane@DBPerformance
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I have made in the mid 500s on an Evo with 2 rockers popped off. Fixing it gained a lot up power up top, but it still ran fine, spooled the turbo and made low end power. It depends on how bad the valves are bent too. I made 700whp in my 2G with 8 bent valves from a previous overrev. You have a 2.3l though, that alone should give you a 50whp gain over a 2.0l at the same boost level, so that might be helping.

mike55112
06-01-2009, 01:14 PM
I have made in the mid 500s on an Evo with 2 rockers popped off. Fixing it gained a lot up power up top, but it still ran fine, spooled the turbo and made low end power. It depends on how bad the valves are bent too. I made 700whp in my 2G with 8 bent valves from a previous overrev. You have a 2.3l though, that alone should give you a 50whp gain over a 2.0l at the same boost level, so that might be helping.

I guess I will see what the outcome will be when I figure out what I want to do with this.