MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-17-2009   #1
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc
1g FWD Fuel Pump Install

The one from the vfaq is missing a lot of pictures, so I took pictures of my install that me and twack tackled yesterday.

First, I sprayed PB Blaster periodically for about 24 hours before you actually start disconnecting things. Really does help. The only things I needed were some new allen head screws to replace the 6 philips heads that are rusted beyond use (10-32 X 1/2), a bottle of pb blaster, and some small hose clamps. I also picked up a set of flare wrenches. I ended up not really using them because we just cut the metal line and ran some fuel hose instead. You'll need for sure a 14mm flare wrench and a 19mm open end if you want to re-use the stock rubber deal.

Here's the deal before we started. You can see I already was spraying them with pb blaster:

You'll want to use up as much gas as possible. I had mine so low it would run dry going around corners or if the car rocked too much. You need to take out the single bolt in the bottom rear of the tank. This holds the bottom of the pump assembly in place. Looks like this:

Gas will run out so be prepared. Next, continue on and disconnect the fuel line, unhook the wiring to both the level sender and the pump itself. I unhooked the back two gas tank straps to make it a lot easier. I believe they are 14mm and you'll need a deep socket. Let the rear axle droop with the car on jackstands and use the jack to support the tank.

Once you have the straps un-done and the fuel line and electrical fittings unhooked, go ahead and SLOWLY lower the tank to where you can easily get to the 6 phillips screws holding the base plate in. I dowsed them in PB Blaster, and used a vice-grips to take them out:

After that you can manuver the pump assembly out of the hole. Be carefull not to bend anything. Once you have it out you should be able to see what needs to be done. Here's a pic of my stock assembly:

I put an evo 9 pump in mine, so it might be a bit different for you, but it's along the same guidelines. Just make sure whatever electrical connectors you use, make sure it WILL NOT ARC!

Putting it back in will be about the opposite of taking it out, only easier because you know what you need to do. Here's mine after it's all put back in, just need to put the straps back up:

And thats about it. Test it out, make sure you have NO LEAKS. Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #2
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc
Re: 1g FWD Fuel Pump Install

Does anyone see anything that I might've done wrong to cause my no start isssue?

Kind of a useless write up if I can't even drive my car after it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote