MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-08-2005   #1
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
7Bolt Questions

1998 GST Spyder.
-Timing Belt Stuff. Is it the same as a 6Bolt? I mean I have 500 miles on brand new mitsu timing belt stuff.

-Is a ACT 2600 to much for a 7Bolt? I have that on the 6bolt right now.

-Should I replace the bearing to longer the life of the engine?(I have heard it will help prevent crankwalk).

-Should I spend the money and get ARPs and a metal HG?

-Do you eliminate BS on a 7Bolt? If so is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Mike
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: 7Bolt Questions

Timing belt stuff-Not all the same.
ACT 2600-It is a bit aggressive of a clutch, you could go with a softer setup.
replace bearings-Always when you have a chance
ARP's and metal-ARP's are nice, john ran 37psi on the stocker headgasket all last season. Actually we have NEVER popped a headgasket now that I think about it. If the surfaces are flat, no reason for a metal. And if the surfaces AREN'T flat, you can't use metal.
bs elim-Always a good idea.
Old 11-08-2005   #3
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

How long do you plan on running the 7 bolt and what your mods are should be considered in it also. If you didn't plan on keeping the 7 bolt for a long time, you could use the 2600. What are your mods? Do you even need a 2600 right now? Who knows if your motor is even walking at all. The only reason I swapped a 6 bolt in is becasuse mine was starting to walk. I would have rather kept the 175 across compression. You should get yours checked and see if it is even walking. I wouldn't waste the money on the bs elim or aprs if you don't plan on keeping the motor for a long time. I didn't think the new bearing helped prevent crankwalk. I though it more or less just prolonged the life of the motor before it was walked.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar
How long do you plan on running the 7 bolt and what your mods are should be considered in it also. If you didn't plan on keeping the 7 bolt for a long time, you could use the 2600. What are your mods? Do you even need a 2600 right now? Who knows if your motor is even walking at all. The only reason I swapped a 6 bolt in is becasuse mine was starting to walk. I would have rather kept the 175 across compression. You should get yours checked and see if it is even walking. I wouldn't waste the money on the bs elim or aprs if you don't plan on keeping the motor for a long time. I didn't think the new bearing helped prevent crankwalk. I though it more or less just prolonged the life of the motor before it was walked.

I wouldn't waste the money on the bs elim or aprs if you don't plan on keeping the motor for a long time.

So...eliminating weak links is a waste of money? If he is using the motor, for say a month, yes it would be a waste. If he runs over 18psi of boost, he'll want head studs, especially with a 2g motor.

The bearing replacement is nice because his motor DIED. Whenever a motor dies, you don't reuse the bearings.
Old 11-08-2005   #5
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr
I wouldn't waste the money on the bs elim or aprs if you don't plan on keeping the motor for a long time.

So...eliminating weak links is a waste of money? If he is using the motor, for say a month, yes it would be a waste. If he runs over 18psi of boost, he'll want head studs, especially with a 2g motor.

The bearing replacement is nice because his motor DIED. Whenever a motor dies, you don't reuse the bearings.
I think he is talking about replacing the bearing of his working 7 bolt he took out of his car originally.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageo23
1998 GST Spyder.
-Timing Belt Stuff. Is it the same as a 6Bolt? I mean I have 500 miles on brand new mitsu timing belt stuff.
Nope, wont' work.

Quote:
-Is a ACT 2600 to much for a 7Bolt? I have that on the 6bolt right now.
Run what you already have. Why waste more money.

Quote:
-Should I replace the bearing to longer the life of the engine?(I have heard it will help prevent crankwalk).
Why waste time and money on it, if you plan on building another 6-bolt.

Quote:
-Should I spend the money and get ARPs and a metal HG?
No, the stock headgasket and stock 7-bolt head studs will handle the 14B(assuming you are still running that turbo) no problem, even at 26psi, as long as you don't blow it from detonation.

Quote:
-Do you eliminate BS on a 7Bolt? If so is it a good idea?
Why bother with the 14B. You can if you want, but if you don't plan on running the motor for a long time, then it's just a waste of time. BS elim is mostly to make it safer to rev the motor high(which is useless with a small turbo) or to make doing you next timing belt easy.

Why did you swap to a 6-bolt in the first place, if you still had a running 7-bolt and weren't making 500+whp already?
Old 11-08-2005   #7
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I had the money at the time and i thought it was walking (clutch stuck to floor) turned out to be "phantom" clutch. The engine had no known problems with it. I figured the 6bolt would last me awhile and i would have nothing to be skurred about. Also I have the 2600 are you saying i should keep that? The mods I have right now is minimal. 14B, FMIC, MAFT,ACT 2600, Exhaust. I do plan on building another 6bolt or something but that wont be for awhile at least 2 years. What do you mean my engine DIED?
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote