MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-04-2005   #1
mattsdsm

clutch issues and other ?s

OK everybody. I have a 1990 eclipse GSX and I have only had it for about 4 1/2 months. Anyway my clutch is acting up it doesn't like to go in first all the time. So to get it in there without nitching first i have to go second than first. And it wont let me go into it at all unless I am completely stopped. And every now and than it doesnt like to go in second or third. It wont scrap but it like locks me out or doesnt go all the way in or whatever. Anyway im just wondering what to do. The guy I bought it from said he just had a new aftermarket clutch installed by SLS. So whats going on with it. PS I have the same thread on basic ?s sorry for doing a double thread but I did know how to delete the other.
-The Young Gun-

Last edited by mattsdsm; 11-04-2005 at 09:47 PM..
mattsdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #2
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Re: clutch issues and other ?s

Why did you post this twice?
http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9452

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #3
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

Actually, it sadly sounds like a pretty common DSM problem with the transmissions. Quite a few of them will either grind going into first or you have to go from second to first to get it to go in. More than likely the clutch itself is fine. It could be a bad first gear synchronizer.(sp?)

There are a few things I would try if you think its a misadjustment of some sort.

- Bleed the clutch slave cylinder
- Adjust the shift linkage if it feels like it need's it.
- Check the shift linkage at the tranny to make sure its not catching on anything and that it has the pins installed on the linkage.

If all of those things check out, then odd's are its a fucked up transmission. You will either have to live with it, buy another tranny, or get it rebuilt by someone.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #4
LightningGSX
Hellbound

I don't think there is a first gear synchro, it wouldn't really make much sense if there was.
Old 11-05-2005   #5
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

there is a first gear syncro i know i have had my trans apart twice since i got my car, i would check your hydraulic clutch system first, then goto the other parts of the transmission such as the shifter cables and such

erik
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #6
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Several things could be causing the problem. If your clutch disk is sticking to the flywheel due to contamination (oil leak, tranny leak, etc.) or your clutch push rod is out of adjustment, or you need to bleed the clutch system, or you have the wrong step machined into the flywheel, or your tranny could be coming loose from the engine block.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #7
mattsdsm

I am going to check out what dumb_ricer said and check thats stuff out. I have heard about the clutch push rod from one of my friends. But how would you adjust one of those in the first place. If you know where i can instructions and maybe some pics that would be cool. Oh and thanks everybody for helping out.
-The Young Gun-
Old 11-05-2005   #8
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningGSX
I don't think there is a first gear synchro, it wouldn't really make much sense if there was.
Sure it does, have you ever downshifted into first gear? If you have, then a first gear synchro will help. A synchronizer helps speed up the shaft it is connecting to as well as slow the shaft down to match speed. Thats why truckers have to rev to downshift even semi quickly. The *ONLY* gear on almost all modern transmissions that doesnt have a synchro is reverse, and even reverse has one sometimes, depending on how the tranny is put together.

And if it goes into every other gear fine, I don't see how it could really be a big clutch issue. If it doesnt grind or anything going into second, I would think it would have to be somehing more internal. And if SLS did it, I wouldn't think it would be contaminated. It always could be though. Bleed the clutch first. If that doesnt do it, you could try a longer rod, and if that doesn't work, then I would try linkage things.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yeah, it sounds like a bad tranny. I have had a couple go out on me over the years and it starts out just like that. Soon it will always grind going into 1st, then it will start to grind going into 2nd. After a while you will lose 1st gear all together, and then 2nd gear. DSM's don't like starting in 3rd either!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #10
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

It takes a special touch to get an AWD DSM trans into first gear. Of course the first step is to make sure your clutch is disengaging like it should. I've noticed several of the '90 transmissions be especially grumpy about going into first gear. I use very light pressure just as the car rolls to a stop. It pops right in. If you push too hard/too fast and it will grind, too slow and it feels like it want to lock you out. It just takes some getting used to. The proper fluid is also a must. Good luck.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #11
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Will it go into 1st gear if you slowly, and carefully release the clutch pedal?
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #12
mattsdsm

I have very little pedal. Most of it is kindof freeplay. I know its there but it doesnt do anything untill the last bit. I did some checking and everyone says it's just how the aftermarket clutches are. So I dont really know this is my first aftermarket clutch. Oh and another thing how exactly do I know if the clutch engaging or disengaging correctly. Thanks again for all the help.
-The Young Gun-

Last edited by mattsdsm; 11-08-2005 at 02:48 PM..