MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-22-2010   #1
2.5turbo

Drives: Beretta
Exclamation N/A motor in Turbo car.

Hello All, Im new, and needing information. I was given two eagle Talons, one turbo/awd/auto and one NA/fwd/auto. The guy pulled the n/a motor and dropped it into the turbo car.. but the "flexplate" type thing on the NA uses three bolts to mount to the torque converter, whereas the Turbo uses 4 bolts. Can those flexplates be swapped via the 6 bolts? sorry, im a noob when it comes to japanese stuff.. The other question is: Is it safe to run a turbo on an NA motor? I know certain GMs were the exact same engine just +- a turbo.. Im in need of help.. I hate the automatic in a turbo car, but they are both FREE to me, and itd be a really nice driver.. any direction/help is greatly appreciated!
2.5turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #2
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy
Re: N/A motor in Turbo car.

idk about the flex plate but thats for a auto so youyou dont need that, you need a flywheel but you run into another issuse with the tranny, you cant use a fwd tranny in a awd, well atleast it wont be awd anymore, and as for the turbo yes you can, you might wanna install a knock sensor idk much about it but have herd you need it, also you cant run more than 10 pounds of boost i think on stock internals with a n/a
if any of the info i have posted is incorrect.. correct me =)
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #3
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan

^^^All your info is pretty much incorrect..

You can just swap the flex plate, if they're both 6 bolt engines.

The NA engine will have higher compression, but other then that it will be fine since it doesnt sound like you plan on modding the car.

Just make sure you connect all the sensors (dont forget the injectors, fpr, knock sensor) just like it's a turbo engine and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by 4g63tcrazy; 09-22-2010 at 08:38 PM..
4g63tcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #4
2.5turbo

hahaha.. 4G63tcrazy.. lol youre right, it wont need a flywheel, as its going back into an auto car. i believe they are both 6 bolt engines. ill be running the stock AWD trans, so thats not a problem... and yeah, no mods for this one, just a cheap driver thanks for the help guys.. i just have to pull the engine and swap flexplates, drop it back in and hook it up (thats all...lol) does it sound feasible? all the parts are there, just gotta find the right bolts.. im a GM guy, is it possible to adapt to Mitsubishiness? haha
Old 09-23-2010   #5
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

There is a couple of things to think about when swapping in an N/A into a turbo car

First, do you intend on keeping the turbo on the N/A car?

if yes, don't run too much boost. the N/A pistions in the engine aren't designed for anything over 250 hp because the top ring is too close to the top of the piston. it eventually fails

If no, then you have to do a little exhaust fabbing because you will be adapting a N/A exhaust manifold and down pipe to a AWD exhaust

Keep the turbo injectors and fuel rail from the turbo car on the N/A motor. Don't use the N/A fuel injectors or FPR. They are different and the computer isn't set for them.

Knock sensor, you might have to figure out how to mount it on the N/A block because I believe the N/A doesn't have one. Look where it is on the turbo block and see if you can find the same spot on the n/a block. I don't know if you can unplug the knock sensor and run it without it...

Other things to think about is 90 and 91 differences. Which year of cars are you dealing with? there is coil pack differences between the two. If in doubt, use the coil pack off of the AWD

if all goes well you should have a nice DD AWD N/A car.

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 09-23-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #6
2.5turbo

yeah, im planning on running the stock turbo from the car, with no mods for more boost or anything, just a daily driver. im not sure years on the cars yet, ill check that out. theyre getting crushed if i dont save them! haha any other advice?
Old 09-23-2010   #7
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5turbo View Post
hahaha.. 4G63tcrazy.. lol youre right, it wont need a flywheel, as its going back into an auto car. i believe they are both 6 bolt engines. ill be running the stock AWD trans, so thats not a problem... and yeah, no mods for this one, just a cheap driver thanks for the help guys.. i just have to pull the engine and swap flexplates, drop it back in and hook it up (thats all...lol) does it sound feasible? all the parts are there, just gotta find the right bolts.. im a GM guy, is it possible to adapt to Mitsubishiness? haha
sorry i was confused and thought you were switching to 5speed since you said you hate auto my bad
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #8
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

Hate auto eh? try driving a dsm manual, makes you want to quit and just get an auto.
Old 09-23-2010   #9
2.5turbo

Psyco-what do ya mean? "dsm"? haha im a noob