MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-19-2005   #1
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
First gear is jacked.. need some help

I have a 97 gsx with an ACT 2600 clutch. The car and tranny has like 98,888 miles on it. A while back first gear started to pop out as I started engaging it from a stop and at this time I also needed a new clutch so I installed the 2600. That fixed it.. for a while. Now, yesterday it just started popping again like mad out of the blue. Now it pops every time I try to engage into first, even while standing still and barely lifting my foot of the clutch. I have a small tranny leak but it doesn't even leak to the point where it's even dripping. Are my first gear synchros gone? This is the only car I have so if first gear is gone I am screwed. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #2
ExTREME
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ExTREME Send a message via MSN to ExTREME Send a message via Yahoo to ExTREME
Re: First gear is jacked.. need some help

Mine does this too, shifter fork or your synchros are messed. Gas Clutch Finnesse.
ExTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #3
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

When you did your clutch, you also installed a new fork and pivit ball. If the problem is internal, then the popping out of gear isn't a synchro issue, its a gear issue.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #4
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak
When you did your clutch, you also installed a new fork and pivit ball. If the problem is internal, then the popping out of gear isn't a synchro issue, its a gear issue.
How do you figure? It could be a number of things... Bent shift fork, bent shift rail, bent/twisted synchro, bent imput shaft, or a broken gear. I'd put money on the synchro fucking up (since its brass and soft as hell) before the gear does on a pretty much stock GSX. Either that or a bent shift fork/rail would be my next guess if its internal. Make sure nothing is interfearing with your shifter linkages first then start to look for other things internal.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #5
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST
How do you figure? It could be a number of things... Bent shift fork, bent shift rail, bent/twisted synchro, bent imput shaft, or a broken gear. I'd put money on the synchro fucking up (since its brass and soft as hell) before the gear does on a pretty much stock GSX. Either that or a bent shift fork/rail would be my next guess if its internal. Make sure nothing is interfearing with your shifter linkages first then start to look for other things internal.
Mo is right. A synchro doesn't do anything to keep the tranny in gear, it just makes it easier to go into gear. Never seen or heard of a shift rail or synchro twisting. Input shaft doesn't have anything to do with shifting. The 2 gear faces are probably just wore down and don't have enough contact surface anymore and are popping out. Either that or the shifter linkages are not adjusted correctly or the cables are loose.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #6
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
Either that or the shifter linkages are not adjusted correctly or the cables are loose.
Yup, had him check that already.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #7
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

a bent or broken shift fork could cause issues also, I had my 3rd-4th gear one break, and it worked perfectly fine into 4th, but 3rd ground every time....
Old 11-23-2005   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

It isn't grinding, it is popping out. If you look at the specifics given there are only a few possibilities. A broken shift fork isn't one of them. The gears are definately worn down, time for a rebuild.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #9
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Sounds to me like a hub and slider issue. When you shift you pull/push on a cable, that moves a rail inside the transmission. Attrached to this rail is a shift fork. Attached to this shift fork is a hub/slider that selects which "gear" you asked for nicely . If the "c" clips or little pieces (don't know the name, to lazy to look it up, but there are 3 of them, rectangular shape) are missing, broken, bent, destroyed, or don't like you, your car will pop out of gear.
Or you could have a busted shift fork, but that usually makes it STUCK in a gear (usually 3rd).
Syncro's, like mentioned, help you get the gear, not keep it.
Have fun with the trans rebuild .
Old 12-01-2005   #10
misaelv005

broken shift fork happend 2ce on my 2g take out the tranny before you can't rebuild it. And get an oem aluminum shift fork the heavy duty shift forks for our trannys have pads on them that fall off then leads to the same problem over and over again.
misaelv005 is offline   Reply With Quote