MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2012   #2161
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Glad to hear it wasn't fuel related, but makes sense based on the problems you described.

So after you dial in the MAP table, are you switching parts in one at a time, like the big intake pipe next for MAF scaling, then injectors, then E85? Hopefully if you follow a good progression you should have the car on e85 with the big injectors running like stock.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #2162
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Glad to hear it wasn't fuel related, but makes sense based on the problems you described.

So after you dial in the MAP table, are you switching parts in one at a time, like the big intake pipe next for MAF scaling, then injectors, then E85? Hopefully if you follow a good progression you should have the car on e85 with the big injectors running like stock.
My Primo "big intake" is already on the car, I never switched back to the stock MAF. I am still on stock injectors because I sent my DW's in for testing/cleaning and new orings so those won't be back until mid this week.

However, the plan is to finish dialing in MAP tables and the big ass MAF on stock injectors, move to dw1300's and scale, limp ass pump gas map (no idea on power for this, going to run like wastegate boost), then e85 and power time.

I am hoping to have the car back on e85 by next week.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #2163
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Glad to hear you are getting this car dialed in finally! Proving Grounds or bust!

if bust then time to buy a v8..

Shawn
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #2164
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Glad to hear you are getting this car dialed in finally! Proving Grounds or bust!

if bust then time to buy a v8..

Shawn
Pretty much the plan
Old 06-04-2012   #2165
Murlo26

Did some more logging today, car is almost ready for DW1300's. Things are moving now with Jon's help. My MAP tables were way low before causing close loop operation to be really icky and trims to have to do all the work, which was really sucky for normal driving. Obviously open loop was still solid before but now driveability is really starting to shine. The car feels better than stock right now, very very smooth.

Here is a snapshot of my recent log. LTFT is actually LTFT in use, so if you are using the idle one is diplays that or cruising it shows cruise.

You can also see the different values the car is seeing for MAPcalc and MAFcalc and the actual load follows the lower of the two.

We are moving on to getting the MAF dialed in better. I am guessing the closer you get those two calculations, assuming they are correctly done, the better the car will run. So as you can see still need some MAF work.

DW said my injectors will be back Wednesday so hopefully another 1 or 2 revisions and we will be ready for them and I can actually do a pumpgas tune this thursday/friday and the weekend.

I am also picking up a new wastegate from MAP, swapping for the newer/better turbosmart one that comes with the newer turbos. Mine struggled to hold 16psi on wastegate boost before and it was supposed to be a 25psi so I am guessing that was causing some spool/top end issues on the car. Better safe than sorry

Last edited by Murlo26; 06-04-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Old 06-05-2012   #2166
Murlo26

Another new MAP today. There is another table called the fuel calibration table that was smoothed out, seems to be helping too.

Back in boost now...5-10psi pull happened today. Feels good.

I also learned a lesson today....

Do not flash a map on the car when you are already running late to work. I got a weird COM error from my laptop, seems to happen a lot as I am using a virtual machine. Well car got stuck in programming mode which if you cycle power on the car, you brick your ecu. So I had to sit there troubleshooting the virtual machine to hurry while the radiator fans spun forever. Was worried the cars mini battery was going to die.

After 20 mins I had a successful reflash lol.

Last edited by Murlo26; 06-05-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Old 06-05-2012   #2167
Knoxville

Drives: 09 G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Another new MAP today. There is another table called the fuel calibration table that was smoothed out, seems to be helping too.

Back in boost now...5-10psi pull happened today. Feels good.
You sure you can handle 10psi, or you need me to show you how it's done?

2009 G8 GT
Knoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #2168
Murlo26

No, I don't think I can handle it, but I don't trust you either
Old 06-05-2012   #2169
Knoxville

Drives: 09 G8 GT

Quote:
No, I don't think I can handle it, but I don't trust you either
Good response, I wouldn't trust me either...

2009 G8 GT
Knoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #2170
Murlo26

Logs looked good from today. Car is ready for the DW1300's.

Essentially what my car will be using is a purposeful hybrid of MAF and SD. Essentially 120 load and below will be MAF, above 120 load all SD baby.

So I will be swapping the 1300's on tomorrow after work and get back to logging. It feels like I am making headway finally.
Old 06-06-2012   #2171
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Essentially what my car will be using is a purposeful hybrid of MAF and SD. Essentially 120 load and below will be MAF, above 120 load all SD baby.
That sounds pretty awesome.
Old 06-06-2012   #2172
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
That sounds pretty awesome.
I think so, first time I have been excited about something for the ECU since Tephramods.

In theory SD should clean up the load curve up top too and allow a smoother powerband and possibly more power from smoothing it out. I guess we will see.
Old 06-07-2012   #2173
Murlo26

Stock injectors, rail and fuel lines off...

Big beefiness back in..

New hotness wastegate, old one behind...

And installed...

Threw on the new MAP, fired right up. HOwever, a very scary noise occured! Like really loud, sounded like heat shield rattle, but then i noticed it echoed through my exhaust so I thought I dropped something into there or in my turbo or something.

Well I spoke with Baka/Jon and the only thing I figured it could be as the motor was running good was wg preload. He agreed, said the flapper was rattling crazy like.

So looking at the wastegate I definitely didn't preload it enough. So I waited for the car/manifold to cool down. And it was a bitch to get the arm back off because the new wastegate is at kind of a funny angle. Finally got it off, but to preload it enough, I just cannot get the damn arm back on the flapper.

So going to attack tomorrow again, maybe after some wheaties, but the turbosmart wastegate doesn't seem to move at all when I pull it like my other wastegates have, beefier i guess.

Anyone possibly have an air pump or something to help get this wastegate open that wants to stop by tomorrow? I don't want to drive it because its so damn loud/rattly right now but I might have to in order to get somewhere with compressed air.

If anyone can help just post up, thanks!
Old 06-07-2012   #2174
Murlo26

Just got a tip that I can use a can of dust off to help out with this, so going to try that tomorrow. Still if anyone wants, you can join the fun!
Old 06-07-2012   #2175
scheides
flips McGee

Yea, you shouldn't be able to even put the WGA arm back on the flapper arm w/o a compressor, read the directions--there's info on how to set the preload. Basically tighten it up about 2.5 turns from where it slips on easily.

Also, you might have the mounting bracket on backwards--mine was lopsided and I put the short end closest to the engine. I had it on the other way and the wga was not straight if I wanted to get it onto the arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #2176
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Yea, you shouldn't be able to even put the WGA arm back on the flapper arm w/o a compressor, read the directions--there's info on how to set the preload. Basically tighten it up about 2.5 turns from where it slips on easily.

Also, you might have the mounting bracket on backwards--mine was lopsided and I put the short end closest to the engine. I had it on the other way and the wga was not straight if I wanted to get it onto the arm.
Yea I am going to try it again with preload after work.

Do you have the turbosmart one from MAP? It doesn't look like you can put this on backwards to me. The angled bracket also only fits one way and I lined it up the same as the one I took off.

Just trying to figure out what you meant by the lopsided comment to make sure I don't have mine that way.
Old 06-07-2012   #2177
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Makin progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #2178
Murlo26

Well in typical Murlo fashion this became much more difficult than necessary fixing the wastegate lol.

So I picked up some dust off on the way home from work and assumed I could get the hose on my wastegate over the nozzle on the dust off. The nozzle was way bigger! While trying to cram the hose on the nozzle, can slipped from my hands and dropped on concrete floor, cap exploded off, need to go get a new one! damn it.

Now its getting dark and my dumb ass ran over my brand new LED shop light last night, so I didn't have one so I went on a mission to get new shit but it was just after 9pm. So after running into closed places everywhere I found some new tube/hose at Lowe's and a new dust off at target. No shop light as auto stores were closed. Got home got the contraption together and fired and just like hollywood said, extended the arm prefectly! It worked really baller actually lol.

So got it back on and went to put the damn C/E clip on the flapper...dropped Spent 45 mins looking for it as I didn't have anything else I could really use. Even jacked the car up to pull the undertray, nothing. Then last ditch effort I grabbed my magnet hoping to get lucky and snag it, nope.

So whatever, need to get a new one of those but had to make sure this fixed the terrible noise. Fired the car up, bam sounded great again So not the cleanest thing but I just need a new clip or cotter pin and I am golden again! Stopping by auto store tomorrow to grab a bunch in case I fail some more.

Then back to tuning!
Old 06-08-2012   #2179
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Glad you got the issue fixed.

Why does it feel like someone needs to supervise your wrenching efforts? I kid .. I kid What happened last night sounds comical and should be on youtube.

In all seriousness, the clip is probably sitting on the transfer case or cradle, worst spot ever to try and fish something out.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #2180
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Glad you got the issue fixed.

Why does it feel like someone needs to supervise your wrenching efforts? I kid .. I kid What happened last night sounds comical and should be on youtube.

In all seriousness, the clip is probably sitting on the transfer case or cradle, worst spot ever to try and fish something out.
lol, dust off?
You don't have a small compressor?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.