MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 06-05-2005   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
drop springs / coil over discussion

Im having a hard time chosing what I want to do and I think it would be beneficial for people to point out and voice their opinions on what they've owned and what they would change. I also need to adress camber issues. Whats a safe level to drop without having to fuss with a camber kit? Or is it always a good idea. Drop springs with stock or after market struts? Thanks in advance!

This is no special application. They are simply going on my slow ass AWD 1g. Im a little tired of the 4 inches of wheel gap lol. I think they might be blown currently anyways. Or just shitty..
Old 06-05-2005   #2
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Re: drop springs / coil over discussion

Usually if you go more than 1" drop in a AWD you will need the camber adjustment kit. I just did suspension on my car on Friday. I went with the KYB GR2 shocks with B+G Springs (1.6" drop). The car is pretty low but one of the things I considered when getting springs is how hard of a ride I wanted. I went with a progressive rate spring which will ride a little better for normal driving but still offer great handling. I was considering a linear spring but decided against it since I drive so far to work each day I didn't want to be bouncing all over the place. So I sacrificed some handling for daily drivability. With my car since its FWD I noticed a huge difference in traction since the ass end doesn't squat so much when I am accelerating. Overall I am pretty happy with that combination.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIG
Usually if you go more than 1" drop in a AWD you will need the camber adjustment kit. I just did suspension on my car on Friday. I went with the KYB GR2 shocks with B+G Springs (1.6" drop). The car is pretty low but one of the things I considered when getting springs is how hard of a ride I wanted. I went with a progressive rate spring which will ride a little better for normal driving but still offer great handling. I was considering a linear spring but decided against it since I drive so far to work each day I didn't want to be bouncing all over the place. So I sacrificed some handling for daily drivability. With my car since its FWD I noticed a huge difference in traction since the ass end doesn't squat so much when I am accelerating. Overall I am pretty happy with that combination.

CRAIG
How much did that run you in parts and where did you get your parts? 1.6 drop means you have a camber kit according to your advice? I dont really know where to find one of those or any idea how to install for that matter.
Old 06-05-2005   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Elite has the rear camber bushings that you will need. I have H&R springs with KYB AGX's on my car. It is pretty stiff, but my car is also quite a bit lighter than stock. I am going to be selling my setup and putting the ground controls and camber plates in from the race car I just bought.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #5
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Generally springs will give you a more comfortable ride but still give you good handling and a lowered stance. Coil overs will harden up the ride quite a bit because they are stiffer and quite a bit shorter spring travel. It basically all depends on what you want the car for?

They both have pro's and con's. Springs you cant adjust hight, coil overs you can. Springs ride better than coil overs. So you might have to sacrifice one thing for another for what you want.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #6
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

I have skunk2 drag coils and tokios 5way ajusters on my awd spyder. they are stiff as hell but the handling is great with them. I went with them so I could lower the front 3in and the back 3.5in
I also have progressive 1.6 drop springs and kyb's on my 92 talon. they are more forgiving on your body than the coils. Plus I did not want to spend to much on my beater car.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #7
TheBlizzard

I didn't need camber adjustments when I was done from looking at it, I will keep a close eye on the tires and if I do need a camber kit I will do it as needed. Its probably because it is not AWD or something.

The shocks were 212 from coximports and the springs were like 180 from some place on the internet I can't remember off hand. I tried to get everything locally but didn't have much luck.
Old 06-05-2005   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST
Generally springs will give you a more comfortable ride but still give you good handling and a lowered stance. Coil overs will harden up the ride quite a bit because they are stiffer and quite a bit shorter spring travel. It basically all depends on what you want the car for?

They both have pro's and con's. Springs you cant adjust hight, coil overs you can. Springs ride better than coil overs. So you might have to sacrifice one thing for another for what you want.
This is totally wrong. The main difference is price and the ability to adjust the ride height. You can get what ever stiffness of springs that you want for coilovers. DSS makes the best coilovers for just the coilover kit. By the time you put shocks with them you are getting close to coilover/shock combo's. Most people will be fine with a spring/shock combo. If you plan to lighten the car you might want to consider coil overs because the car's ride height will come back up as you remove weight.

Old 06-05-2005   #9
TheBlizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST

Please don't give false advice in tech sections. Some of what you said is true but most of it is not.

CRAIG
Old 06-05-2005   #10
EclipseGST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
This is totally wrong. The main difference is price and the ability to adjust the ride height. You can get what ever stiffness of springs that you want for coilovers. DSS makes the best coilovers for just the coilover kit. By the time you put shocks with them you are getting close to coilover/shock combo's. Most people will be fine with a spring/shock combo. If you plan to lighten the car you might want to consider coil overs because the car's ride height will come back up as you remove weight.
All totally wrong? You said the same thing about hight as I did but you included the difference in price. He asked for opinions, I voiced mine and many others that feel the same way. Springs do ride nicer than coil overs. How is that wrong? Even though the adjustment hight is nice with coil overs everyone I talk to is switching to a spring set up cause they dont like the rough ride from coil overs anymore. I would switch also but I only drag race my car where its nice to have adjustable coils for centering weight. Like I said, this is my opinion and many others, exactly what he asked for.
Old 06-05-2005   #11
TheBlizzard

You are entitled to your opinion however saying that springs ride better no matter what is false. You can get what ever spring rate you desire when ordering a higher grade coil over. If you just order the cheaps ones off ebay that come with whatever spring they want then yes they maybe be a bit stiffer. But saying that its is a rule when buying suspension is false.

CRAIG
Old 06-05-2005   #12
INTRIGUED
insert witty title here

Drives: VW Gti
Send a message via AIM to INTRIGUED

I have KYB GR2 struts and Eibach pro-kit. Ride height is 1.5 inches lower I am guessing. Ride quality isn't that bad, I'm happy with my set up I don't for see myself changing it ever. Takes corners really well and overall I like it. Hell, struts are pretty cheap and the springs are around 200 or so for all four. Can't go wrong with that!

Also FWD btw
INTRIGUED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #13
EclipseGST

I never said "no matter what". Sure a nice $1500 set of coil overs better ride nice. But the thing is, my friend just spent $1200 on a tein coil over set up and it truly rides rough as hell no matter how he had them set, so he took them off and bought a tein spings set up instead. Now the car rides smooth and is nice. Also I highly doubt Josh is willing to spend anywhere near $1000 for suspension right now. So there for I ***THINK*** he'd be better off with spring/shock combo.
Old 06-05-2005   #14
TheBlizzard

Thats kind of what we were getting at. If you shell out some cash and get really good coilovers you won't sacrifice ride quality in most cases.

CRAIG
Old 06-05-2005   #15
JET
Is funding Exxon.

If you read my post you will see that you can get whatever spring rates you want on coilovers. You can actually get them to ride softer than stock if you want to. So yes, saying that coilovers automatically ride rough, is totally wrong. You can get Ground Controls with whatever spring rate you want, same with the DSS kit. And they are no where near $1,000. You were just making a lot of generalities which are not true. I misinformation being spread around. It is one of my big pet peeves.

For a nice streetable setup that isn't too expensive, I would go with Eibach sportlines, KYB AGX's, a ST rear sway bar, and Elite's rear camber bushings. It will be a great handling car that isn't real rough, and isn't that expensive either.

Old 06-05-2005   #16
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

should I just order my parts through a shop like BZ or something? I can see what mike can get but other than him, I dont really know where to get the parts. I really dont feel safe buying on the internet.

I got an alignment today because something was fucked. I guess my Tie rod on the passenger side was about to break 205 dollars later, its safe and drives straight. However, ill need another alignment when i drop it lol.

Thanks for the info / history guys! Feel free to add more!
Old 06-05-2005   #17
JET
Is funding Exxon.

You can check with Elite too.

Old 06-05-2005   #18
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

I too am looking for a new suspension setup, and wheels all at once. I hope to use some springs this time, on perhaps some shocks. Where can I get a camber kit for the front and rear? It's for a 92 gsx awd. Also, what's a good drop for a 17 inch rim, that I won't bottom out on..? my 3 inch exhaust hangs sorta lower then usual, being as it's a 3 inch pipe..I'd rather not scrap on the curb at the end of my driveway..

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #19
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638
I too am looking for a new suspension setup, and wheels all at once. I hope to use some springs this time, on perhaps some shocks. Where can I get a camber kit for the front and rear? It's for a 92 gsx awd. Also, what's a good drop for a 17 inch rim, that I won't bottom out on..? my 3 inch exhaust hangs sorta lower then usual, being as it's a 3 inch pipe..I'd rather not scrap on the curb at the end of my driveway..

-A. Swift
thread jack biatch!
Old 06-05-2005   #20
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
Elite has the rear camber bushings that you will need. I have H&R springs with KYB AGX's on my car. It is pretty stiff, but my car is also quite a bit lighter than stock. I am going to be selling my setup and putting the ground controls and camber plates in from the race car I just bought.
when will you be swapping that?