Paint By Numbers 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2012   #141
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack
Re: 95 Talon TSi AWD

tail lights 'look' great but do they pass any light. (this coming from someone who has some pretty tinted tails himself)
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #142
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 View Post
Is that a 7 bolt crank?
Yeah. 2.4 4g64, but yes a, 7 bolt. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Nice frame rack. Tail lights look very smooth from the pictures.
lol Thanks. It is looking more or less like a shelf right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
tail lights 'look' great but do they pass any light. (this coming from someone who has some pretty tinted tails himself)
If I stick an LED magnet light into it, you CAN see some light fairly easy. I will have to post some pictures of how it looks.

I also might add I did not plan on running these until I had ALL of the rear lights converted to LED bulbs.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 01-15-2012 at 11:42 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #143
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

I think the car looks A LOT better with these lights!

This is with the stock bulbs in even:

I still plan on getting LED replacements so the cops do not even have an excuse to pull me over for the lights being "too dark".

I think the next thing on my list to do is tint the sidemarkets for the front bumper. Then possibly black out the headlight housings. After that I believe I will start tearing into the engine.
Old 01-22-2012   #144
chris02rex

Drives: 02 WRX/STI, 91 Tsi AWD, 07 Silverado

They wont pull you over at night for taillights. Its always during the day. The brightness of your bulbs does not matter. Its the reflectivity that they get there panties all bunched up for. Thats what i was told by the state pig last time.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #145
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
They wont pull you over at night for taillights. Its always during the day. The brightness of your bulbs does not matter. Its the reflectivity that they get there panties all bunched up for. Thats what i was told by the state pig last time.
Well then we will just have to see what happens! lol
Old 01-23-2012   #146
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Good luck. I never got pulled over for tinted tails in the three or so years having my Talon, and haven't been pulled over in my vette yet, fingers crossed. I definitely like the look.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #147
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Here is somewhat of an update. It is probably going to end in more of a Q&A session than anything, hahaha. Any who;

After a lot of thought about many things I decided I was going to swap the interior. I am swapping from the brownish color it has now, to black and tan. One of the main deciding factors I would have to say, was the lingering odor of what was (or is), a mouse's nest.

Since originally getting the car and redoing it, I have pulled most if not all of the nest out. There is enough left though, that it is affecting the ability of the airflow when using the heat and such as well.

After decided I started collecting all the interior parts. I have almost everything. All I need now are door panels, seats, a center console, a headliner, and sun visors. Otherwise I am set, and have two of a few things!

After pulling the dash at a junkyard today, I realized it needed some serious attention to bring it back to life. So after cleaning it once already, I took some pictures of each step.

Here was the second was.

The owner of this car HAD to of smoked. Sorry if I offended you when saying this, but: smoking is nasty/disgusting! The dash its self-smells like smoke. Every time I "washed" it, the smell came out a little bit. I can imagine this dash never saw ArmorAll in its life either.

Here is after being ArmorAll'd for the final time (tonight).

I know it still doesn't look as great as it could, but for under $100 I am not complaining!

Now comes to the questioning..

As some of you may, or may not know, I have a few goodies saved up for this car. The parts are kind of....varying though. 264/272* cams, a TiAL 38mm, a Holset HX35, Wally. 255... Also a 2.4L crankshaft. Here comes come the fun questions.

What do I do? Keep the idea of building a 2.3L stroker to run E85 though (1600cc injectors) with the Holset, or keep it stock? Or do I use the cams and get 'Link V3 and have a LITTLE bit of fun?

I do not know whether to go full out, of just do something "fun". Help guide me here guys. Thanks!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-23-2012 at 12:21 AM..
Old 04-07-2012   #148
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Oh, almost forgot some of the pictures I snapped of the car today! My dad cleaned it, waxed it and all one day while I was at school! Too bad I have the GS-T to drive daily now. Not to worry though. This will be out again sooner or later. On to the pictures!

I know, I went pretty photo crazy.. But hey, the car looks nice!
Old 04-08-2012   #149
scheides
flips McGee

Looks good!

A little bit of fun at a time is the way to go with these cars IMHO--every little thing makes a difference and if you're smart about it you won't have to do too many things twice.

I'd say sell off what you don't need and build a simple e85 setup with those cams...then a 16g-ish turbo and call it good! If you have boat-loads of money sitting around after that, then do a stroker and then if you have more do a big turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #150
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Looks good!

A little bit of fun at a time is the way to go with these cars IMHO--every little thing makes a difference and if you're smart about it you won't have to do too many things twice.

I'd say sell off what you don't need and build a simple e85 setup with those cams...then a 16g-ish turbo and call it good! If you have boat-loads of money sitting around after that, then do a stroker and then if you have more do a big turbo.
Thanks!

That's the only problem I run into, is the engine portion. I can sell the HKS' for $170 profit over what I bought them at. I have a little bit of money saved now, plus thr IRS still owes me a $3xx.xx check. I figured I could almost put together a stroker.

After really thinking about it though, it might just be too much. So I figured I could build a 2.0. Would it not still cost the same though? lol

I keep saying to myself, and others, my car will be running on teh' corn, but the only E85 stations are 20 miles one way, and 10 the other. lol

I could source a 16g for $200 though. I'm just not sure what size injectors would work if I did decide to go E85..
Old 04-08-2012   #151
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Looks good!

+1

Build the stock bottom end. Like Scheides said, build it slowly and with the extra cash, you can start putting more into it. As for the injectors, I'm sure you'll have to be running 800s or more. 800s at the least. Plus a "bigger" fuel system. I'd say run the Evo 3 16g, those are very fun.
Old 04-08-2012   #152
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

You're in a body shop (judging by the sanded down 1g in the pic) and you used Armorall? Bad move when it comes paint time...
Old 04-08-2012   #153
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
+1

Build the stock bottom end. Like Scheides said, build it slowly and with the extra cash, you can start putting more into it. As for the injectors, I'm sure you'll have to be running 800s or more. 800s at the least. Plus a "bigger" fuel system. I'd say run the Evo 3 16g, those are very fun.
I bet they're fun, I just wanted to do something different other than what EVERYONE else has done. Know what I mean? It seems everyone is running a 16g nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 1G Drummer View Post
You're in a body shop (judging by the sanded down 1g in the pic) and you used Armorall? Bad move when it comes paint time...
Actaully it is NAPA brand "Protectant". Same concept though. I know what you are saying, the airborne shit will create fisheyes and such. It was a Saturday, and we were not open.

There was no painting going on. When we are painting, no one uses it. The same goes for WD40 or PB Blaster. We aren't completely dumb up here...lol

Also, that 1g should be in a scrapyard. Hahaha, POS.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 04-08-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 04-08-2012   #154
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Get MAP's EF series turbos or the FP 68HTA. If I were to do my setup again, it'd be a stock bottom end, 272s, (either)MAP turbos or FP 68HTA, 1000s, e85, plus dsmlink. Yes, very (very) plain list but very effective. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012   #155
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

If you dont have alot of money, Id say stay on the beaten path. 16G set up is cheap and reliable and still plenty fun! Once your done with that enjoy your car and buy a spare 7 bolt and build that up into 2.4. Then theres no down time.

Or just DD the gst and build the awd now the way you want over a couple of years (depending on your budget) then put it all in.

Either way its your car and your desicion in the end.

A built 2.0 (forged internals) should cost the same as a 2.4(forged internals)
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #156
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
If you dont have alot of money, Id say stay on the beaten path. 16G set up is cheap and reliable and still plenty fun! Once your done with that enjoy your car and buy a spare 7 bolt and build that up into 2.4. Then theres no down time.

Or just DD the gst and build the awd now the way you want over a couple of years (depending on your budget) then put it all in.

Either way its your car and your desicion in the end.

A built 2.0 (forged internals) should cost the same as a 2.4(forged internals)
The 2.3 I wanted to build would be perfect with the HX35, but like I realize, it just isn't practical right now. Maybe I will see what I can do as far as getting a built 2.0 block put together.

Also, if everything works out today, I should have a manifold, turbo, and o2 housing for the car by tonight. Then in a few months, coilovers and an exhaust system. Then 'Link to follow!
Old 04-08-2012   #157
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

You don't have to tell me things twice.
(Terrible pictures to follow!)

49178-01(47)0

The dash is also looking really good! From dried out by the sun, to almost new looking in less than 24 hours.

Alright.. I think that will be the last update for the night!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 04-08-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Old 07-07-2012   #158
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Well I have decided it is time to start fixing a few of the problems this thing has. The first thing is the front end. This car has to have been in an accident. The hood and driver's side fender do not sit right on/next to each other. Plus the headlight sticks out too far.

So I was thinking since I will be working on the front end, I might as well go after my original plans of the 2gb Eclipse front end conversion. I hate how everyone does the 2gb Eclipse conversion on Talons though, especially on the front. So I want to put a twist on it. I cannot decide between these two options. Help me decide which to go with.

I hope b00sted spyder doesn't mind me stealing a picture of his ride, lol.

But regaurdless, both options have functionality. It isn't simply for looks. It'll definately help with cooling.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-07-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Old 07-07-2012   #159
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

Do a 2GB talon front and rear bumper with the high rise talon wing. The leave the twists on the sides.

Then youll have a 2gb talon/eclipse!

Best of both worlds

Ive never liked the 2GB eclipse/talon mix of body pieces though
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #160
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Do a 2GB talon front and rear bumper with the high rise talon wing. The leave the twists on the sides.

Then youll have a 2gb talon/eclipse!

Best of both worlds

Ive never liked the 2GB eclipse/talon mix of body pieces though
The rear bumper is fine for me. The car was just painted 2 springs ago so there is no need to go that deep into it again, lol. The 2gb Talon bumper is tempting as well. I do not really feel like paying $2xx for a bumper before painting it though.