MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-23-2011   #1
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
'99 GS-T

Some of you may know this car from my '95 TSi AWD thread, but for those of you who don't I figured I would start a separate thread just for the Eclipse.
Here are some older pictures.

For some of you, this picture may help you recognize the car a little better.

I do not have recent pictures of it, but not much has changed besides some MAPer decals in the side windows.

One thing that has changed is that I no longer drive it. The reason for that is, I believe it has a bad or blown head gasket. The last time I went down to the Minneapolis area it started overheating. It finally got to the point where my friend and I had to just sit on the side of the road at midnight, waiting for it to cool down.

I added water to the overflow every time we stopped. That helped us get all the way home. Even the guys I work with were telling me it was a head gasket (I work for NAPA).

Just be watching for some changes in the future for this car. I can honestly tell you, there will be

Stay tuned. Thanks for looking!
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #2
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Re: '99 GS-T

Well it turns out the head gasket is fine. The radiator cap was letting it overheat and causing the overflow to gurgle. That is good because I can drive the car now. This doesn't change the fact that I am going to be building it a little bit.

Here are a few pictures of some of the parts I have collected thus far.

Egay manifold and o2 housing.

4in' K&N filter with 90* bent 4in' pipe, with an FP intake.

Aeromotive Compact AFPR

And a semi-shaved VC.

I still need to finish paying for this but; a dirty MHI E3 16g.

I have other things like a God-speed intercooler and piping. I'll be picking up some cams for it soon as well.
Old 07-30-2011   #3
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

Looks like a clean car. De-ricing the interior will help a lot too.

I have to ask, why the ebay manifold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #4
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc View Post
Looks like a clean car. De-ricing the interior will help a lot too.

I have to ask, why the ebay manifold?
Amen. A PITA too though. Considering they painted EVERYTHING. Including the little tweeter speaker cover way up on the dash. Maybe I'll just go buy some over cleaner and see if they just painted them. If they primed them, it'll be fun getting the primer off.

I orginally bought the manifold and o2 housing for my Talon, but figured I would put it on this car since the manifold it has was once cracked and welded, and I'm already going to have to take the head completely off. That and I can plan around with porting it alittle.

Why? Would you just not use one?

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-30-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Old 07-30-2011   #5
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

I would suggest not trying to port the head yourself, and sell the ebay manifold and just get a ported 2g manifold
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #6
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
I would suggest not trying to port the head yourself, and sell the ebay manifold and just get a ported 2g manifold
Why, not...? I have a friend who ports his own shit all the time. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping. Hell, he could even help me make myself an intake manifold. I'm not positive about the exhaust manifold though.
Old 07-30-2011   #7
Chim55117

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMINMN View Post
Why, not...? I have a friend who ports his own shit all the time. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping. Hell, he could even help me make myself an intake manifold. I'm not positive about the exhaust manifold though.
Improper porting can actually make flow worse, and in the case of 2G heads, you'll lose a little bit of the edge they get. The smaller ports equals higher velocity air, as opposed to more volume at lesser velocity. Leave the head alone for now.

As for the exhaust manifold, pickup a FP exhaust manifold or an EVO 3 manifold. Both are proven log style manifolds and cast, so they won't crack on you like the eBay tubular.
Old 07-30-2011   #8
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim55117 View Post
Improper porting can actually make flow worse, and in the case of 2G heads, you'll lose a little bit of the edge they get. The smaller ports equals higher velocity air, as opposed to more volume at lesser velocity. Leave the head alone for now.

As for the exhaust manifold, pickup a FP exhaust manifold or an EVO 3 manifold. Both are proven log style manifolds and cast, so they won't crack on you like the eBay tubular.
^^x2.

That GST was very clean at the cookout. I'd rather pay $80-$100 for a ported 2g manifold then gamble with the Egay manifold Sell it and get the Fp Manifold or the 2g manifold. Very clean GST. Keep it clean and keep it off the Egay parts. Do it the right way now so it doesn't kick you in the ass later. Good luck
Old 07-30-2011   #9
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim55117 View Post

So that'll set me back a nice $275 I believe an FP manifold is on FP's site. Oh how I love Egay shit.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-30-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-30-2011   #10
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
^^x2.

That GST was very clean at the cookout. I'd rather pay $80-$100 for a ported 2g manifold then gamble with the Egay manifold Sell it and get the Fp Manifold or the 2g manifold. Very clean GST. Keep it clean and keep it off the Egay parts. Do it the right way now so it doesn't kick you in the ass later. Good luck
Thanks.. I figured I wasn't going to be able to use the Ebay shit... UGH. Wasted money.

How about the o2 housing? Is that going to work well enough?
Old 07-30-2011   #11
chris02rex

Drives: 02 WRX/STI, 91 Tsi AWD, 07 Silverado

I never realized you work at Napa. Is it the one in Wadena?
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #12
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

Honestly if it were me, i'd find an uncracked 2g manifold and port it out to match a 7cm turbine gasket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #13
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
I never realized you work at Napa. Is it the one in Wadena?
Yep. Right on main street.
Old 08-16-2011   #14
chris02rex

Drives: 02 WRX/STI, 91 Tsi AWD, 07 Silverado

How's having adam for a boss now?
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #15
Troy Rossberg

Drives: 98 Eclipse GS-T & a 98 Pontaic Grand Prix GTP Daily Driver

Just wondering did you have the shock tower repaired or something because I see that you have black paint on it.

My eclipse is alot like yours, but i have some surface rust on the the drivers side shock tower that Im planing to repair
Troy Rossberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #16
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
How's having adam for a boss now?
You know, I honestly have never met the guy. But from what I have seen not much has improved. If anything it has gotten' worse.. I don't really know how to explain it, or get into it.

I guess it is one of those things you have to experience for yourself to understand. You know?

How about you? You guys are under Adam, aren't you?
Old 08-16-2011   #17
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMINMN View Post
You know, I honestly have never met the guy. But from what I have seen not much has improved. If anything it has gotten' worse.. I don't really know how to explain it, or get into it.

I guess it is one of those things you have to experience for yourself to understand. You know?

How about you? You guys are under Adam, aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Rossberg View Post
Just wondering did you have the shock tower repaired or something because I see that you have black paint on it.

My eclipse is alot like yours, but i have some surface rust on the the drivers side shock tower that Im planing to repair
The "repair" was done before my dad and I recieved the car. It really is just an area they cut out what was rusting and spot welded metal in its place. Then sprayed it so it wouldn't rust as well.

I can literly see light if I put my head next to the metal and look between the welds. I would really like to pull the engine and redo the engine bay. The driver's side is starting to rust too. The car could also use a paintjob.
Old 06-19-2012   #18
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Holy hella' old pictures! This thread needs an update.

These are older pictures, but still better than the ones that are currently up.

Oldest to newest..

So yeah, I like taking pictures of this car if you haven't already caught on. Since I last posted I have completely de-riced the exterior, and pretty much cleaned up the interior. After that I tinted a few things, put a new valve cover on, installed a short throw, and put a new starter in it...that's about it.

Well up until Saturday anyway. When this happened..

I have no clue what happened. I was just driving then saw a lot of steam. At first I though it was smoke and I almost wanted to freak. Then when I didn't smell burnt wire and saw this,

I figured it out. Hahahaha

Mishimoto radiator on the way to take the old ones place. I just hope I'll be able to make it to Proving Grounds.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 06-19-2012 at 12:49 AM..
Old 06-21-2012   #19
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Updated engine bay picture as of this morning at 6:00AM. I stole a few parts off of the Talon. lol

Now I am trying to fix the car for good before Proving Grounds. It threw codes P0170 & P0125. More freaking money..
Old 06-21-2012   #20
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

You should just steal the dtivetrain from the talon and swap this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote