MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 09-20-2005   #21
gflo383

Re: Sell my Dsm for a F body

i didnt mean to offend anyone... afterall this is a DSM board.

i too like many many vehicles. until i saw forsfed's talon i didnt care for the cars at all, but that is one nice ride, its quick as hell v8 v6 4 cyl whateverm its a quick little car.

fbodys by no means are the coolest car outthere, hell there not even cool...

i was just saying in my opinion, they not ugly compared to a talon, and the dont sound crappy compared to any 4 cyl.

now even some of you diehards have to agree that the rumble of a v8 sounds better than the buzz of a 4 or 6 cyl?

and also, talons or whatever, are for sure not the best lookin ride out there... right?

we all have are own opinions, and it would be mighty queer if we all drove the same cars all day every day. i love to see a built up DSM, but in comparison to a built up fbdy, there is a large difference in value in more than one way.

do you think youll ever see a DSM in a classic car trader in 20 years? i sure the hell hope not, otherwise there will probably be 92 tempo's considered collectors in about 10 years, it just isnt goin to happen.

buy what you want, drive what you want, but please dont bash a superior automobile.

sure you can beat him in a 60' race but a 99 T/A WS6 is still sweet! no matter how you look at it.
Old 09-20-2005   #22
gflo383

oh, and i only know one fbody owner with a mullet...

yet i know several ricers who are geeks!

just kidding hahaha, anyone hate me yet?
Old 09-20-2005   #23
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
spark plugs are hard to change? c'mon... if your worried about changing plugs, your in the wrong sport/hobby.
ha, ya Shane is in the wrong hobby! Get a clue
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 09-20-2005 at 03:50 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #24
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I've got V8 cars at home, a '70 GTO and a '01 Mustang. They sound awesome. But sound isnt everything... And did anyone say DSMs would be worth anything in 20 years? Comparing a DSM to an Fbody and saying it's a superior car based on what? That it has a more favored exhaust note? That they aren't pretty, but they're prettier than DSMs? I could compare a Ferrari to and Fbody, and point out why the Fbody sucks compared even to a 360 Modena. The Ferrari and the Fbody are different classes of cars, as DSMs and Fbodys are. Not trying to start a firefight here, just keeping the conversation going.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #25
mnturbo

I would prefer to just keep my DSM and buy a ls1 powered car next spring but I am not sure if my funds will permit that, as I am trying to move currently.
My biggest thing is I want a RWD car and I have not yet owned a V8 and I would love to have a ls1, as a summer/drag car.
So I guess I will wait and see what I can find.
mnturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #26
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

lol, Joe you went nuts haha. I think you should show this guy what an Fbody can be I've always been partial to cameros, but I prefer dsm's to anythin realistic.

My car will never be fast. Especially when im this broke. The best my car will see in the near future is scraping into a 12 if I'm lucky.
Old 09-21-2005   #27
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

gflo383: Chill out. We just mentioned some small inconveniences/quirks of the FBodys. I said they make good power. The do often sound like ass with some of the exhaust systems on them, compared to a Mustang. Some of the sound as raspy as all-motor Civics.
Old 09-21-2005   #28
gflo383

i wasnt seriuos, im a smart ass, ask forsfed.

i was just fuckin around...

i dont mind dsm's, at least they're quick (or have the potential to be)

i was just saying that in comparison an fbody would be a better choice for a long term vehicle IMO, not that my opinion matters haha.

and also, Mustangs for some reason do sound GREAT with an H pipe and a set of flowmasters, probably the best sound out there for a somewhat stock v8!! i will agree on that.

josh, dont kid yourself, your car can run 11's if you want.... just get a bigger turbo and run about 30#'s of boost with some race gas, and maybe a little methonal (sp?) injection to cool the charge and prevent abnormal combustion ( detonation) and your in the 11's like that!!!

see ya guys.
Old 09-22-2005   #29
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Fuck land vehicles, I'm getting a helicopter.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #30
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

I was thinking about getting one when I was looking for a new/different car. Nice units, I guess I just prefer mitsu's more.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #31
mnturbo

Do any of you with actual experience with ls1's know of any high mileage related problems?
Would I be safe going with a car that has over 100K Miles.
I am not afraid of doing any work to the vehicle. Most of the vehicles I have owned have had over 100k miles on them when I bought them. My GSX indluded.
Old 09-23-2005   #32
HAULNTA

I love my WS6
I traped 124.22 at CF on Sat. on a 125 shot.
HAULNTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #33
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnturbo
So it sounds like the main problem is changing the plugs (besides the expected general dislike for american power).

Mabye I will keep my Eclipse and get a LS1 down the road

Do they really sound like crap w/ exhaust?????
Cause DSM's don't really sound the best either.
Not like Subys

No They sound good. I recomment FlowMasters or Borla. DSM's break. And the plugs aren't that bad [coming from a girl]
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #34
Tauni
Mazda-ing

I'm sorry but I have to say that gflo has a lot of very good points. Buut.. he also has some points that I don't nessicarily agree with as well.

Coming from a girl who went from being all american when it came to cars, to having her eyes opened [if you will] to the world of imports as nice cars, I guess it's easy for me to see where everyone is coming from. I'm not biased. haha

V8's- IN MY OPINION- sound a lot better than a four Cyl. Maybe it's all the rice that floats around, but I don't like that lawn mower racket most 4 Cyl. put out. However, if a 4Cyl is done right, it can sound really good, so I am not bashing either.

In all reality, I think it is a bit easier to work on an American car. The set up isnt as complicated and if you are dealing with a carb. you will have a much easier time working on them. DSM's seem a bit more complicated. Um, Hello? Intereference engine? Never had to deal with that on my boyfriends '82 Mustang.

I don't nessicarily agree that they are better than DSM's are better in the long run. For what you want the car for, yes, I do agree. But if you plan on driving some what lightly, American cars are good. But imports are also good cars. I've seen them run over 200k. And actually, now that I think about it most American cars won't last that long. DSM's still break though. Haha.

And he's right. By the time the cars of today are classics, I'm sure most of the DSM's will be in the junk yard. Deffinately not going to be considered a true "classic," but I am also not saying they won't be worth anything. DSM's are going to be very rare by then. I'm sure they will be worth something.

Domestics and Imports all have their share of problems and I honestly think it would be unfair to hold either superior to the other. Come on now. They both can [IMO] look great, sound great and perform great. And some can even compete against each other. Neither are superior, both are great. My advice is do what you can afford!
Old 09-23-2005   #35
SuperSleeper

Drives: 2012 Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to SuperSleeper

LT1s sound better than the LS1s IMO. But seriously, exhaust notes shouldn't be as big a topic as it is--even Ricers don't care about sound of exhaust!
SuperSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #36
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleeper
even Ricers don't care about sound of exhaust!

Gee, I wonder why
Old 09-23-2005   #37
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnturbo
Do any of you with actual experience with ls1's know of any high mileage related problems?
Would I be safe going with a car that has over 100K Miles.
I am not afraid of doing any work to the vehicle. Most of the vehicles I have owned have had over 100k miles on them when I bought them. My GSX indluded.
I've never seen an LS1 with any sort of serious cylinder wall wear. Something to look out for though, the oil pump bypasses will stick if you get any trash in them. If it sticks, say goodbye to oil pressure and you're bearings too. Clean fresh oil is a must. Just like any car with 100,000 miles though, if you keep it maintained well, mileage isn't a huge issue. I hear lots of LS1's with noisy valvetrains, with stock and aftermarket cams. That can be solved, but it doesn't threaten the life of the shortblock, just false knock/timing issues. Don't get me wrong, DSM's are ok, always broken, but ok. Something that a DSM can never do....HUGE BURNOUTS! Oh how I love huge burnouts.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #38
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Mmmmm, Burnouts!!!
Old 09-23-2005   #39
mnturbo

Yeah the last thing on my mind is exhaust note I am really anxious to do a huge brake stand. my GSX just hooks up and goes..Which is not all bad
Old 10-25-2005   #40
gflo383

back from the dead.

100k + LSx motors have loud piston skirt slap on cold start up, other than that they are pretty stout.