MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-18-2008   #1
TjXiong

Clutch problem....shiftng into gear is hard

This started a couple days ago. The clutch pedal seems to be softer than it really is. Now the clutch is still stock. I sometime have hard time shifting. I once had the clutch bleed and it went back to normal. Now I was going to take the car to MAP and bleed it again. But I checked the clutch fluid and it was dead empty, I added more into it and still the clutch is weak. I was thinking that it had leak somewhere. Any suggestion on could be causing this. (thinking of getting a new clutch) 99 eclipse gs 420a
TjXiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #2
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban
Re: Clutch problem....shiftng into gear is hard

i'm guessing that you have a leaky line.... I'm 100% sure on this but if you can you should get the stainless steel line that road race engr. sells.... it will help with pressure also and ususally gets rid of the leaks. have you checked your master and slave cylinders to see if either of those are leaking?? you have to pull the rubber boot back and if you see fluid it is ususally bad
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #3
TjXiong

I have checked all the line and the slace cylinder. Doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere. I'll have to futher check more in a bit. I opend the cap all there was was goowie dak blue stuff in there. Wiped those out and added in fluid. I'll see if anything happens later.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2008   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Sounds like it might be the master cylinder. Look down in the driver's side foot well and see if there is fluid down there.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #5
TjXiong

I have check around and dont see any fluid. I'll have to take a further look around. But I have check the fluid and it seems to be at the max level.
Old 01-19-2008   #6
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

If the clutch still disengages/engages at the same point, the problem is at your pressure plate.

Leaks dont happen on 99's...yet
Old 01-19-2008   #7
TjXiong

I dont know but I have set up an appointment over at Brookdale Mitsubishi to take a look at it.
Old 01-23-2008   #8
bouncer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjXiong View Post
This started a couple days ago. The clutch pedal seems to be softer than it really is. Now the clutch is still stock. I sometime have hard time shifting. I once had the clutch bleed and it went back to normal. Now I was going to take the car to MAP and bleed it again. But I checked the clutch fluid and it was dead empty, I added more into it and still the clutch is weak. I was thinking that it had leak somewhere. Any suggestion on could be causing this. (thinking of getting a new clutch) 99 eclipse gs 420a
Here's your problem: Since your getting stiff shifts, there's air inside your clutch system. Check the Slave cylinder where the line is connected where your bleeder is. Check that line to see if it's tightly connected. Thats the first thing you check after you have done bleeding it and still have stiff shifts. Try adding Redline Transmission fluid in to soften the shifts. Get the stainless steel lines installed. Try other methods to see if its your transmission or clutch problem.
bouncer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #9
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Air in the lines, bleed the clutch line.

I had the same exact problem and symptoms all of a sudden one day so I bled it on sunday and works perfectly again.

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but isn't the clutch only bad if it starts to slip, not having trouble going into gears?
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #10
TjXiong

Hey thanks for the contribution from everyone. I had to replace the master cylinder and bleed it. Everything works fine, back to normal. I'm thinking about getting a new clutch pretty soon. Along with all the belt done at 60000.
Old 01-23-2008   #11
Scrmegl
Brian

Danger Wheels Champion!
Drives: '98 TSI AWD
Send a message via MSN to Scrmegl

My 98 leaked into the foot well. MAP has a good deal on stainless lines. the goop inside my reservoir was the rubber seals going out in the master/slave cylinders.
Old 01-23-2008   #12
bouncer07
Banned

Quote:
Hey thanks for the contribution from everyone. I had to replace the master cylinder and bleed it. Everything works fine, back to normal. I'm thinking about getting a new clutch pretty soon. Along with all the belt done at 60000.
pretty low mileage non-turbo Eclipse. Whats your plans on your car? What to go faster?
Old 01-23-2008   #13
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

I'm thinking I could possibly have the same problem. I was told before when my car was on a dyno that the clutch is starting to slip. I have since noticed that it is getting noticeably worse. I did a few 3rd gear pulls and I noticed the rpms shot up a lot faster than I was really accelerating. My car seemed to be fine to drive for a while as long as I didn't get on it much. But last time I drove my car (to the storage facility) I noticed the engage point was way close to the ground. It used to be right up top and I would barley push in the clutch to shift. Does this sound like I need just a clutch or a whole master cylinder? any advice?
Old 01-23-2008   #14
bouncer07
Banned

thats what i posted in your other forum. if it slips at high RPM, its your line that goes to your slave cylinder which is under that is connected to your slave. Get that bolt on tight and your good. Next thing is Bleed your system after that! It will feel MUCH better! I had that problem!!
Old 01-23-2008   #15
TjXiong

I was thinking about a rebuilt and go with turbo. Turboing a 420a sucks in a point. Thinking about getting the 4g63 and start my way up. I probably will go with bolts on and see what happen with my 420a. I've seen 1 or two people on dsmtuners that runs 14 mid/high.
Old 01-23-2008   #16
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Quote:
I was thinking about a rebuilt and go with turbo. Turboing a 420a sucks in a point. Thinking about getting the 4g63 and start my way up. I probably will go with bolts on and see what happen with my 420a. I've seen 1 or two people on dsmtuners that runs 14 mid/high.
How so?

And you won't get anywhere near 14's with just bolt-ons. You will actually have to go stand-alone fuel management and put in higher compression pistons and rods and definitely some headwork.
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #17
TjXiong

Yeah I know, but I didn't say that I will trying to run 14s with just bolt on. I remember someone in dsmtuners with a rebuilt 420a running 14's.