MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 12-13-2004   #1
Onefast99gsx

Was anyone else at the Performace Racing Industry trade show in Indy

Three of us left last Wednesday night to attend the PRI show in Indianapolis. There were probably 1,500 vendors or more. It was everything to do with the racing industry. It was at the convention center which is connected to the RCA dome. We tried to cover it in one day but couldn't. There was no way. We finished it on Friday. I saw and talked to alot of vendors that i wanted to see such as Precision Turbo(PTE), AEM, Fidanza, ACT(Advanced Clutching), Crowler, ARIAS, Ross, Turbosmart, RacePak. I can't remember them all. PTE had a really nice booth with alot to display. I couldn't believe the size of some of the turbos they had on display! HUGE doesn't say enough. AEM had a 1,248hp Supra on display. I shit you not the turbo compressor housing was probably at least 10-12" in diameter. It had the sleeper look to with the stock wheels. It had a stats poster next to it, went 8.50's. I got some good ideas for our own project. I'm working on developing a Sheet metal Intake manifold utilizing our CNC milling machine.

I don't remember who drives for them, but Fidanza / Titan revealed a newly painted drag car. I think it was a Celica. The paint job alone was $20,000.

Well worth the trip. I brought back a few bags of literature. There were turbo companies that most of us have never heard of. We only hear of PTE, AGP, Turbonetics, FP, Hahn, etc.. There are so many more! I can't remember the name of this one place but they had some beautiful turbos on display that had the Turbonetics type quality with dual sealed bearings and such.

I'm in the market for cams and i got some brochures from very reputable companies that make the 272 grind cams. I'm not sold on the fact that HKS is the best. It's just the most common used.

Next year it goes to Orlando, but is supposed to be back in Indy in 3 more years.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Turbonetics and quality usually don't go together. If you want quality and the best dual ball-bearing then you go for an Innovative turbo, but most people don't want to spend $2000-$3000 for a turbo.

People have been copying the 264 and 272 grinds forever. There have just always been quality problems with a lot of the domestic cam companies grinds. With the HKS cams, you don't have to worry about them wearing down and they usually work fine without having to degree them. I have seen Webs, Crowers, and Comp cams on DSMs have their lobes wear down. The FP cams are Comp cams that they slightly modified so that you hopefully don't have to worry as much about degreeing them in. JUN and Crane cams are another possibility, but they cost even more than HKS cams.
Old 12-13-2004   #3
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
Turbonetics and quality usually don't go together. If you want quality and the best dual ball-bearing then you go for an Innovative turbo, but most people don't want to spend $2000-$3000 for a turbo.

Doesn't Rau run an Innovate turbo?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #4
vassil
Been there, done that.

Send a message via MSN to vassil
I also went to PRI and hung out in Indy for 3 days. Lots and lots of cool stuff.
I did take a ton of pictures of the AEM Supra, the Celica with the killer paint job and the giant turbos at Innovative and PTE. You can take a peek at:

http://www.vasso.net/cars/showgallery.php?cat=536
9.85@143

1G DSM Crossmembers
BulFab
vassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #5
Onefast99gsx

Vassil- Awesome response. You took alot of great pictures. My brother whom went last year too, told me that you couldn't take pictures so i didn't take the digital camera. However, i seen other people taking snaps there. I had alot of fun there. Thursday night, we went to Hooters to eat then later down to Classy Chassis(a gents club). Friday night we went to Hard Rock Cafe and a few other places. Those guys stayed and went to the Red Garter downtown. I was beat and went back to the Hotel. Oh- we also went to the NASCAR museum too. I never been to a NASCAR race because i'm not much into stock car racing but this was really something to see. One of the people at the museum told us that technically, the Indy track will hold around 400,000 people. We went down a road that is behind the grandstands on one of the straighaways. It must have been 3/4 to a mile long itself.

I was impressed though at how much was actually out there for the racing industry. As for the cams, i don't know much about it yet. I just know there are options. Shortly down the road, i'll probably just end up getting HKS like everyone else.

Not sure on Rau's car. Was hoping to see it. Even though there was quite a bit, there wasn't as much Sport compact stuff as i would have hoped for which is too bad. TRE is fairly close to Indy. You have though places like that would have had a booth promoting the business.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote