Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Need New DD...~15k

Damn it! I actually was leaning towards that
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #142
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

I too have been looking at new to me dailys but i want something more luxo. I thought an 05+ RL would fit the bill because its a way nice car overall with standard awd. I test drove one yesterday and then drove a lexus LS460 afterward....such a bad idea. The lexus made the acura feel so docile and slow in comparison. Different levels of car for sure.

I want to try a hyundai genesis sedan v8 next.

The search continues!
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #143
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Buy my Evo 9 for just a bit more
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #144
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
I too have been looking at new to me dailys but i want something more luxo. I thought an 05+ RL would fit the bill because its a way nice car overall with standard awd. I test drove one yesterday and then drove a lexus LS460 afterward....such a bad idea. The lexus made the acura feel so docile and slow in comparison. Different levels of car for sure.

I want to try a hyundai genesis sedan v8 next.

The search continues!
Those are no $15k cars sir.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #145
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

05 RL is totally a 15k car!
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #146
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
05 RL is totally a 15k car!
true, what about the lexus?
Old 10-07-2012   #147
9guy9
Dumb and...........

As a VW tech I'll mention a few things about the TDI. 09+ have the 2.0l TDi engine. The prior 1.9L was a much cruder stinky old diesel engine. That said, they got great millage. The 1.9l is the engine that has made many VW diesel nuts fall in love with VW's. Its a pretty stout engine, its only common problems are intakes clogging with carbon, and egr coolers burning up. A few have problems with the injector seats in the heads, requiring new heads.

The 2.0l has a lot more power and runs much cleaner. However it is more complex and therefore has more opportunities for problems. All the 2.0l's have either a DSG or a manual. The DSG is a nice sporty auto. They do have a couple weaknesses, the dual mass flywheels occasionally go bad at a cost of about a grand. The other issue has been mechatronics units (basically the DSG's valve body) going bad, which are covered under extended warranty until 100k. All the 2.0l's have particulate filters which are going to be a upcoming high cost issue. Vw claims they are only good for something like 115K miles and cost a couple grand to replace.

Overall I think TDI's are great for people doing a lot of driving where 40+ mpg's offsets the maintenance costs. If you are doing little driving or making short trips stay away. Diesels take a much longer time to reach operating temps, and the particulate filters need extended hwy driving to regenerate. The new Passats and all diesel Touregs use diesel fluid, which isn't really too big a deal, its cheap and doesn't need to be filled to often.

With any car 10k on a oil change is a bad idea, VW says to do it every 10K because it helps sell cars and they pay for the first 3. I highly recommend doing it at 5k.

If you like VW's but not the idea of diesel, the 2.5l 5cyl is a very nice reliable engine that will easily get over 30mpg hwy.
Old 10-07-2012   #148
turbotalon1g

^Any resources to educate oneself about the 1.9 motors?

I found tdiforums and tdiblog
Old 10-07-2012   #149
9guy9
Dumb and...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
^Any resources to educate oneself about the 1.9 motors?

I found tdiforums and tdiblog
what do you want to know?

If your looking at one drain the fuel filter. If the fuel is dark colored theres oil getting in it from the cyl head. The injectors sit in the middle of the head and are driven by the cam, on high milage engine they wear out the machined hole they sit in. This allows oil to get in the fuel, and more importantly lowers cylinder compression. Eventually needing a new head or engine.

If it sound like it has a exhaust leak just behind the engine the egr cooler is probably burnt up. This allows exhaust to blow out on the backside of the engine.

If it feels really slow and there's alu shavings in all the intercooler pipes someone may have dropped a screw in the turbo inlet. I just put a new turbo on one after a simple machine screw precisely machine all the fins off the turbo.

If it stinks and blows black smoke all over its a normal running high millage 1.9l.
Old 10-07-2012   #150
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

im in the same boat murlo, something decent that you dont get laughed in while driving lol

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #151
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9guy9 View Post
what do you want to know?

If your looking at one drain the fuel filter. If the fuel is dark colored theres oil getting in it from the cyl head. The injectors sit in the middle of the head and are driven by the cam, on high milage engine they wear out the machined hole they sit in. This allows oil to get in the fuel, and more importantly lowers cylinder compression. Eventually needing a new head or engine.

If it sound like it has a exhaust leak just behind the engine the egr cooler is probably burnt up. This allows exhaust to blow out on the backside of the engine.

If it feels really slow and there's alu shavings in all the intercooler pipes someone may have dropped a screw in the turbo inlet. I just put a new turbo on one after a simple machine screw precisely machine all the fins off the turbo.

If it stinks and blows black smoke all over its a normal running high millage 1.9l.
Would you recommend one? You make them sound like potential money pits and I mean in a real bad way, not just a modding cars way.
Old 10-07-2012   #152
9guy9
Dumb and...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Would you recommend one? You make them sound like potential money pits and I mean in a real bad way, not just a modding cars way.
ya if you put a lot of miles on. the cost of german parts and maintenance isn't near as big a deal for some one who's into cars and can work on them. For the average person on the street who pays someone to fix their car when ever something is wrong I would be a bit more reluctant to recommend one.

If I lived 20+ miles from work I would lease a new TDI, or buy a old 1.9l for a beater. I would not want to own a newer TDi out of warranty. I drove a new Jetta sportwagon from kato to Chicago and back. I loved they car. I averaged just under 50mpg, and did not drive it lightly. They have a lot of torque so they are fun cars to drive. However I live 2mi from work so I drive a 6.0l v8 Chevy, mileage be dammed I like my 400hp SUV
Old 10-07-2012   #153
turbotalon1g

I just ask I found some older 1.9s with low miles and maintenance done for a good price.
Old 10-08-2012   #154
Murlo26

Almost walked out of Tousley ford with a new 2012 fusion lol. They have like 60 2012's left that were supposed to be rental cars for Hertz or something. They took them because they can sell them fast as they are a volume dealer. Well they were giving like 4-5k in rebates and it was a very good deal for a new car.

However, the car is just too much money, more than I care to spend on a car. I'd rather save up for a nice new car, something I really want.

That being said it wasn't too much better than a 1 or 2 year old hyundai.

I got approved for financing and the car at Bobby's dealer for the Hyundai sonata, its a 2011. Its a 1 owner and you still get the good warranty from Hyundai as a second owner. Like 95% just going to buy that one.

It's roomy, great gas mileage and everyone I have talked to said its very reliable. It also has bluetooth for phone and a usb port. Good enough for me Also its priced reasonable at 16,700.
Old 10-08-2012   #155
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Don't you lose 4 years and 40k miles as a second owner? Unless you are getting a really sweet deal, it makes more sense to buy new on those. When I was looking, the used ones were like 1500-2000 less than new is all.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #156
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Don't you lose 4 years and 40k miles as a second owner? Unless you are getting a really sweet deal, it makes more sense to buy new on those. When I was looking, the used ones were like 1500-2000 less than new is all.
16,700 vs like 20ish new, decent amount difference I believe. I haven't even checked on what new ones go for. I am pretty sure they are over 20 though.
Old 10-08-2012   #157
ylimert01

Drives: Nissian

have you gone and test drove anything else?
ylimert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #158
Murlo26

I've drove camry's, malibu's, fusion, hyundai, mazda 3, sonata, focus, corolla and a few others for work like an HHR.

Honestly, nothing stands out to me. I have never bought a normal car before, I am always performance oriented so they are all just whatever to me.

Several were not as good but the sonota was plenty of room for me and fits the bill for gas mileage and price.

I just don't have a ton of time to go drive everything known to man. I know I'd like the subaru's, but don't want to drive them as they just don't get the gas mileage I want. I'd mod it too so I'll avoid them.
Old 10-08-2012   #159
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Good deal. I'll have to tell the wife about the Fusion deal, thanks for the heads up.

I'll be out of town for the next week unfortunately so no more test drives for me for the next week. But a new 2012 Fusion at a good discount might end up being perfect for us.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #160
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Good deal. I'll have to tell the wife about the Fusion deal, thanks for the heads up.

I'll be out of town for the next week unfortunately so no more test drives for me for the next week. But a new 2012 Fusion at a good discount might end up being perfect for us.
They only have like 15-20 left though and they are going fast. PM me if you want the details on what they gave me.

Keep in mind the one I will forward is with them keeping part of the rebate to get my finance rate very low so my monthly's would be where I want. But that is why i didn't like the deal. Great car though, if I had 5-10k saved up I would consider one. They have one with Sync to, just one, the white one in the paper I can forward.

So PM me with an email if you want