MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 09-19-2009   #1
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST
Hub bearings?

So I'm doing my front end and I now have everything off the car. I pulled the hubs with a slide hammer and I know the inner wheel bearing is on the knuckle but what bearing is on the outside right behind the hub? Should I also replace this bearing and if so where do I get it and what is it called? Also when I have a new bearing pressed in do they also press the hub back on at the same time? Just wondering because how do you get the rear wheel bearing/hub assembly back on? And on the rear hub there are 2 bearing right, inner/outer? Or is that just for AWD and I have to buy the entire hub assembly for the rear? If I sound stupid it's because I learn as I go and I have no one to teach me besides these forums so bear with me please.

1991 eagle talon tsi fwd

I was looking at bearings at orilley and national bearings are pretty cheap, anyone hear anything bad about them? $31 a piece compared to autozone at $44 for the fronts for timken.

Last edited by bertrenolds5; 09-19-2009 at 04:30 PM..
bertrenolds5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #2
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW
Re: Hub bearings?

Well, your post confuses me a lot. However, you only have 1 wheel bearing on each side of the front. You have an inner and outer race... but only 1 bearing.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #3
bertrenolds5

Like I said I have half a clue and the chilton's only shows so much, sorry. So I know the wheel bearing is pressed into the knuckle and I have one on each side. And then there is a inner race on the hub and then and outer race on the knuckle right next to the wheel bearing. What is the plastic ring with ball bearings in it that goes between the inner and outer race called and do I need to replace it also when I do the wheel bearing?

On the rear hub assembly do I need to buy a whole new hub with a bearing already in it because I can't seem to find a rear wheel bearing for a fwd vehicle? I do see a wheel bearing/hub assembly.

And for getting the front and rear hub's back on the car, I have to get the front hub pressed into the knuckle by a shop right? and does the same go for the rear, is there and axel that I can unbolt on the rear that needs to be pressed back into the rear hub?

Last edited by bertrenolds5; 09-19-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Old 09-19-2009   #4
s1ngletracker

ok, that makes a bit more sense. As far as I know there isn't anything between the inner and outer race. There is an outer and inner dust cover, however.

I'm not totally sure about the rear as my car is AWD, but on other FWD cars i've done you pretty much just buy a new hub assembly, which has wheel bearing in it. Much easier to replace. You should just be able to take off the axle nut and the assembly should slide off (may need a puller, they don't always want to come off easily)

and yes, you will somehow need to get the wheel bearing pressed into the knuckle, and the hub pressed back in. I have this tool from Harbor freight that I used:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66829

Not as easy as a hydraulic press but it gets the job done.

Old 09-19-2009   #5
s1ngletracker

btw, I also love waist deep powder. Went to school at the School of Mines in Golden.

Old 09-19-2009   #6
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrenolds5 View Post
Like I said I have half a clue and the chilton's only shows so much, sorry. So I know the wheel bearing is pressed into the knuckle and I have one on each side. And then there is a inner race on the hub and then and outer race on the knuckle right next to the wheel bearing. What is the plastic ring with ball bearings in it that goes between the inner and outer race called and do I need to replace it also when I do the wheel bearing?
Yeah, that whole assembly is the bearing. It consists of an inner and outer race, and the actual bearing itself. They always have those three pieces, at least on cars. Replace that and the dust seals on the front, and the rears should be fairly similar. Sometimes if you're lucky, some bearing assemblies bolt on to the hub with three bolts, not sure about the FWD DSM's, never worked on the rear axle of one.

steve
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #7
bertrenolds5

I get it now, the inner race that is on the hub is part of the entire wheel bearing and the other half of it is still pressed into the knuckle. Maybe if I had a new wheel bearing infront of me I would have realized that. Thanks for setting the noob straight! Does the knuckle dust seal have to be pressed out? And the chilton's says to remove the snap ring from the axel side of the knuckle, is it under the dust seal?

This is waist deep at Vail, my favorite place in colorado. I've never been in anything like it besides 3 feet a steamboat crawling through the snow in the flats cuz steam boat is flat everywhere.

Cliffs at vail

I'm proud to say I will be a colorado resident again this winter working at keystone! I can get some more waist deep pow before it's all gone due to global warming

Last edited by bertrenolds5; 09-20-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-20-2009   #8
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

you should be able to pry the dust seals off with a screw driver or a small pry bar. and front wheel bearings are usually one sealed unit. you usually press the hub out of the bearing so and then the bearing out of the hub. so it doesn't bust apart like that but it's not a big deal. just have the race pressed off of the hub then remove the snapring and have the bearing pressed out of the knuckle. and then have the new bearing pressed back in then have the hub pressed in

Last edited by 4seasons69; 09-20-2009 at 05:48 PM..
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #9
bertrenolds5

When I used the slide hammer on the hub the inner race came off with the hub. I was going to rent a bearing press kit from autozone and press the bearings myself, shoulden't be to hard. But the hub to knuckle looks like their is a bolt and nut that you tighten the 2 together with but I'm not sure if I can rent it so I might need to find someone to press them togehter for me..
Old 09-20-2009   #10
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

on my car there is no bolt that holds the hub to the knuckle. my car is awd but that shouldn't matter most fwd cars the just presses into the bearing
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #11
s1ngletracker

oh, BTW, if you want replacement snap rings (I had to cut mine to get them out) let me know, I ordered a bunch.

Old 09-23-2009   #12
bertrenolds5

Anyone have any sugestions of a good place to go get them pressed around here if need be? I will try getting the rings out this evening and I will let you know singletracker.
Old 09-29-2009   #13
s1ngletracker

any word? any machine shop will be able to press them out for you, probably even most general auto shops as well, for about $20 or so.

Old 09-29-2009   #14
bertrenolds5

I havent gotten around to trying to get the snap rings out, been to busy tearing my car apart, every front suspension piece has been removed and droped the oilpan. Tommrow morning I will try to get the clips out so we know if I will be needing some new ones. Still gonna press it myself but I do have to have the hubs pressed, finally have some money so tommrow's gonna be parts store day.