MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-13-2006   #1
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
Blown Head Gasket?

I have a 97 GSX mostly stock, ACT 2600, boost controller (15psi), catback exhaust. So I'm driving home from work tonight and I start speeding up.. feel the t-25 spool up like normal (not pushing it or anything, just normal calm boosting) and then I feel the car jerk and it starts slowing down. I didn't hear any loud noises. So I try to accelerate but when I press on the gas the car wants to die and jerk. By the time I pull over the car just dies. It starts up fine but it started smoking a little bit, not a lot. And it's so cold out I couldn't figure out if the smoke from the exhaust was because of heat or just plain bad white smoke. It was dark too cause I'm on the highway, can't tell the color of the smoke. It smelled a little sweet, but also like oil and the a/f gauge stayed on rich. Yet, I've smelt the smell coming from the exhaust before when everything was fine. Car didn't over heat, engine temps normal and I changed the oil last Saturday. I got out and checked some of the pipes thinking an intercooler pipe came off, but as far as I could tell everything was on properly. No fluids leaking anywhere. There is a sound coming from the valve cover.. like a whinning/buzzing sound, but you have to be close up to the valve cover to hear it. I'm not sure what this is or what it could be. I towed the car to a local shop and will have them check it early tomorrow morning. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #2
tim

Re: Blown Head Gasket?

Since you towed it to a shop I am sure they will first perform a leak down test. That will tell if the head gasket is bad among other things. I guess now you get to wait for the news from them, and then the bill.

Good luck.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006   #3
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
Re: Blown Head Gasket?

*lots of swearing* The damn intecooler pipe blew off and fouled my plugs big time. Time to upgrade to hard, aluminum piping
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote