MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-25-2006   #1
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
packing the oil pump gears.

so i'm putting the front case on this engine i've been assembling for the better part of a decade.

i've been reading: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

i was wondering if people do indeed slather JBweld over the seal that covers one of the balance shaft holes. the plug supplied by mitsu has a metal backing with a rubber outside.

also, in this picture

you can see the star plug, which covers the bolt that goes into the balance shaft. the front case on my hyundai motor has a similar plug, but this plug has a 10mm nut on the outside making it WAY easier to torque down. i plan on using this with a new o-ring instead of the castle plug. should be fine, right?

lastly, the front case i received had no oil pump gears inside it. so i plan on using the ones that came out of the hyundai motor. they look perfect, as do the bearing surfaces. i've also read its good to pack them with vaseline or soemthing similar to get the suction flowing. again, an experiences here?

as for the front case gasket itself. should i install it dry or cover it with a thin film of blue gasket sealent.

sorry for the thousands of question, but i only want to build this thing once.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #2
tim

Re: packing the oil pump gears.

I havent been involved in a lot of builds but the ones I have always used JB Weld on the plug, works just fine. Also, follow the VFAQ where it talks about using RTV. If you dont it will leak. Oh, and pack the pump with white grease or similar to help with oil pressure on initial startup.

Last edited by tim; 10-25-2006 at 05:06 PM..
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #3
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

the front case came with all the seals already installed. so i probably dont need to rtv anything.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #4
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
the front case came with all the seals already installed. so i probably dont need to rtv anything.
This is what I was refering to.

Kit installation...
This step assumes you have the timing belt off. Remove front balance shaft "B" belt, balance belt tensioner, and sprocket from the balance shaft (the sprocket is still in place in this picture). The hole for the balance belt tensioner is circled. When reinstalling the oilpump cover, make sure to either get a new shorter bolt, or install the old pulley and bolt. Put some RTV on the bolt threads before tightening it down. If you do not seal this hole, you will have a massive oil leak.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #5
acidrumz

Send a message via AIM to acidrumz

if you are re-using the oil pump gears, at least make sure the clearances are in the the service limit specs. check by using a feeler gauge. i believe the fsm has the specs. yes do pack the gears with engine assembly lube before closing the housing.

i believe the star cap does have a rubber seal where the balance shaft goes for access to the bolt for that stubby shaft. make sure that cap is tighten.

after the balance shaft tensioner removed, you should use a bolt with the correct length. that bolt secures the front case along with the other bolts on the front case.

the front case gasket should be installed dry without any help of rtv. but its your call on that.
just make sure you have all the bolt torqued within specs.
refer to the vfaq, its a straight forward mod.
goodluck!

Last edited by acidrumz; 11-18-2006 at 06:13 AM..
acidrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #6
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Assembly lube in the oil pump gears is a good idea, the cap with the bolt head on it should work as long as it seals, and the bolt for the balance shaft tensioner should have RTV on the threads and the face of the bolt head, then I would install the front case gasket dry.

~John