MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-03-2005   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Coolent line?

Ok, Today i got my car back and of course the problems from when it went in are still there.
For some reason after i installed the turbo its been overheating. One reason is because being that the tial wastegate is so freakin big, i had to take one of the fans off. Which would be the case but one fan should suffice to cool the radiator from totally overheating. I left the AC fan on and tonight drove fro approx 15 minutes and it overheated, i had the AC on so that the fan was running the whole time (shitty on gas milage)
The other thing that has been bothering me is that when i installed the 50 trim i had to plug the coolent line going to and from the old turbo. This is what im thinking is the problem, it just doesnt seem right that you should have to plug a coolent line, It makes me think that the coolent is then not flowing at all through the motor, causing it to overheat and emit steam from the overflow tube.
can someone please tell me what they did to that line on their setup that doesnt have coolent going through the turbo. or else can you guys point me in another direction as to what to look for. I just replaced the thermostat before the car went into impound. HEADACHES HEADACHES HEADACHES.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #2
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Re: Coolent line?

If you blocked off the coolant line in the right spot it won't be the cause of your probelms. Do you have a front mount on yet? How the condition of your fans and radiator? I'm guessing it's fan related and you might need to drop the 2nd stock one for one that moves more air.
Old 12-04-2005   #3
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

When I put my turbo on I just welded the coolant line shut on the water pipe that runs across the front of the block. Then capped the coolant line on the T-stat and I have been good ever since.

I only have one fan, use a 190* thermostat and havent had any overheating problems yet. Maybe you should do a leak down test to make sure you didnt blow your head gasket. Make sure there is no water in the oil or oil in your water. Other than that your car should be fine and it shouldnt overheat what-so-ever!

Do you still have stock head bolts/head gasket? I'm guessing you have a 2g by your user name. If you had to take one of your fans out, I'm guessing it was the drivers side one? Running the AC would not help at all, just put more drag on the engine. The drivers side fan is the AC fan, only turns on when you run the AC or your car gets to a certain temp that exceeds your other fan. The passanger fan is the main fan that is controlled by the ECU to cool the car. Running your AC is just going to make the engine work harder and wont help a thing, if anything you should turn on the heat pulling air into the car from the outside to use the heater core as an extra radiator for cooling the water.

Hope this helps some.

Jake
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #4
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Its probebly the fan, I went to the store tonight and got a universal slim line fan. So hopefully that will fix the problem but we will see. The only problem im having now is trying to figure out what the wires do that were on the previous plug. The new fan only has 2 wires, so i gotta figure out which wire is the turnon wire that will actually turn on the fan. theres one black (figured it was the negative) and three blues, One with a white stripe, one with a black stripe and one with a red stripe (i believe it was red ill check tomarrow.) anyone have any ideas as to which wires to connect.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #5
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

its going to be the black for sure, but i'd just experiment to find out which blue you need. When in doubt, solder all blues together Just kidding.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote