MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-28-2004   #1
Darth_Laser

Send a message via AIM to Darth_Laser
Yesterday my buddy and i were putting in a new oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan. We were almost all finished up when we discovered that one of the bolts that holds the line to the oil pan was not tight and would not get tight, it would tighten then get loose again.

So, my question to you guys is what should i do about this? We thought about JB Weld we decided against it in case we ever had to get it off again. We thought we could get a tap and die set and try to re-thread the hole in the oil pan, but we are worried about massive quantaties of metal chunks in the oil pan and eventually going into my motor :naughty: Lastly, i am thinking that if i absolutely have to i will take it to a shop and get a new pan..... But that will be super expensive as they will have to pull the motor and transfer case to get at it. Any new ideas or if anyone would be able to do most of this in their garage i can hooe em up with some $$$

Thanks

Andy
Darth_Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

You can pull the oil pan with the engine in the car. Just remove the transfer case and down pipe. You may have to remove the crossmember that supports the trans/engine on that car, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #3
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
1g's are different than 2g cars...
2g cross member does not get in the way if i remember right..

1g has a cross member under the other side too if i remember right?

but yeah, you should be able to do this yourself, just remember to get some good gasket seal, aka the silver stuff. let it dry 24hours after you put oil in and you shouldn't have any oil leaking problems.

-E
Old 06-28-2004   #4
Darth_Laser

Yeah, that had kinda come to mind but we weren't sure, the whole reason i decided to replace the line was because the previous owner had about ten lbs. of gasket seal under there in the first place and it was starting to wear through and leak. I just really don't want to half ass anything....
Old 06-28-2004   #5
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Laser@Jun 28 2004, 08:34 AM
the whole reason i decided to replace the line was because the previous owner had about ten lbs. of gasket seal under there in the first place and it was starting to wear through and leak.
That stripped bolt is probably the reason why it had so much sealant on it in the first place.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #6
Darth_Laser

yeah, thats pretty much what we had thought once the gasket seal came off and the bolt wouldn't thread