MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Everything Racing

Old 05-04-2006   #1
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Headwaters Rally May 20th Park Rapids,MN

That's right! It's crept up fast on us. The first MN rally of the season. Come out and join us for some fun in the woods. Come see cars flying by you at close 100mph on closed forest roads.

If you are thinking about coming up to watch, think about volunteering to help. It's free and no experience is necessary. There are plenty of positions open. We need all the workers we can find right now. You can sign up by going to this site and register to work. Some of the positions include:

Bannering (course setup) - This takes place in the morning before the event. You are given a route book and a stage to go setup. Basically you drive down the stage and string banner tape across the side roads so public traffic does not enter the stage while it is being run. This takes anywhere from an hour to 2 hours to complete and you get to see the roads the competitors will be driving. Most of the banner people end up as road marshals during the event (will be explained next). Plus they get first pick of the best spots to watch since they are the first ones out in the woods.

Road Marshals - This job is very easy. All you do is sit at an intersection in a safe area and watch the cars go flying by you. Your main job is to make sure that no one enters the stage while it is being run. You kindly ask them to go to the designated spectator spots to view the race. Which leads us to the next position:

Spectator marshals - These are the people that help keep order at the spectator points. These points are usually some of the faster or more technical parts of the stage. They are a good spot to watch the cars in action with alot of other people around.

Start/Finish control - This is where I got my start. There are various jobs here. You can check in the drivers for the stage, or be the one to give them their out time, or count them down to the start. This is a good place to meet the drivers briefly before they tear off into the woods. It's also very exciting to watch them dig down and take off. At the finish you can be the guy calling out when the car crosses the line, the person that writes down the time, the person that takes the scorecards and gives them back to the competitors along with various other tasks. Don't worry, you won't be placed into a control without experienced control captains.

Radio Operators - We use Ham Radios for controlling the rally. Thus we need workers with amateur radio licenses to man certain spots along the route. You basically relay if there are problems or you relay which cars have past by a certain location along with other various things. This is one of the more vesitile positions because you can be place in many different spots. And your only function is to man the radio. So if we need a radio operator at a marshal point, you can go sit there and watch the cars while listening in on the radio.

De-bannering (course teardown) - This takes place the day after the event. It is exactly opposite of bannering. We go out in the woods and take down every shred of evidence that is out in the woods that says that we were there. It's fun because you get to see what happens to the road after 20-some rally cars rip it up.

There are other things to do up there as well. I just don't remember them right off hand. If you need more info goto the Official Headwaters website and you can find out all you need to know. I realize this is kinda late getting out and I think most of the hotel rooms are booked. But there are alot of them that come open the day of the event. I have space in my room if anyone wants to share a room. It's at the headquarters (The C'Mon Inn). I am going up the friday before the event if anyone wants to caravan up there.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #2
scoobrs

Re: Headwaters Rally May 20th Park Rapids,MN

Anyone around know how to install a rally computer? I need to figure out how best to hook up my new AlfaClub to my VSS, battery, and dash before Headwaters. I'm going to have to find some kind of dash mount and have an install weekend.
scoobrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #3
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

I thought we had it hooked up the last time. What happened to the wiring we put in? Let me know if you need help with it.

Old 05-05-2006   #4
scoobrs

Oh hey, Erik. Glad to hear you're still around here, new nick and all. How's the new place been treating you? The wiring harness is still in place, but it was:

1. never grounded... which popped an engine code and disabled the spedo whenever you switched the computer off.

2. half-missing... I only have the side to hook up to the ECU made, but the opposite end of the harness won't hook up directly to my new Alfa. I need to create an adapter of some sort for the different cable style.

3. not mounted... I'd like to try some kind of cellphone-style dash mount.

By the way, do you know a scooby-owning guy who volunteers at ProRallies named Joel Luth (owned a '98 RS and just added an STI)? He started contracting at my work. Lucky bastard has a wife trying to get him into serious rally driving.
Old 05-05-2006   #5
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Don't know him at all. Maybe I've met him but don't remember him.

As far as the connector, I believe it's a 5 or 7 pin round din connector that you can get at radio shack. Or you can order the wiring harness direct from Mike at Small systems. I have his number if you need it. He got me mine very cheap and sent it out very quick.

Old 05-11-2006   #6
scoobrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCHBX
Don't know him at all. Maybe I've met him but don't remember him.
Ah, figured only Erik (a Talon owner) would know how my borrowed rally computer was rigged last time and guessed you might be him. The wires are still hooked up, but the connector is a trailer hitch-style and doesn't mate with the new style wiring harness that came with the Alfa. I suck at soldering, since I have shaky hands. The ground requires a resistor, too, if I remember right. I'll have to find some electronics expertise for hire.
Old 05-15-2006   #7
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Do you have a room yet for the rally? I have one with plenty of room to spare. Looking to find someone that can share the expense of the room.

And that offer extends out to anyone going up there that needs a place to crash (bad choice of words I guess). Contact me before noon on friday and we can meet up. Otherwise, I will be at the bannering meeting at 8:30am on saturday in the lobby of the C'Mon Inn Hotel.

Old 05-18-2006   #8
sideways motorsports

Yea no crashing!
sideways motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #9
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Well, hopefully you guys make it out of the woods ok. I'll be right behind the last competitor making sure everyone makes it out. I get to drive Sweep Recon this year. So I start one minute after the last competitor. Ken Stearns is gonna be the medic in the car with me.

See ya up there!!!

Old 05-21-2006   #10
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Hey Just wanted to say that this was my first rally I have been to and it was fun. The people I went with had me do the start control so I was counting down cars. I did have a little chance to see some of the cars in action and they just fly through the course.

I am also looking forward to the ojibway rally in Aug
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #11
sideways motorsports

Thanks to everyone who helped out at the event in some fashion.

Long story short we didn’t finish the event. Stage 1 was good but a learning experience with all of the new power, so we took it very easy. Blew the dip stick (almost completely out) and lost quite a bit of oil on stage 2. No idea where the spring that was holding this in went. We had some "unexpected help" from some spectators/workers and were able to get back on the road. On stage 3 some residual splashed back up onto the windshield and with limited visibility hit a bowling ball size rock at about 60MPH. This is what ended our chances for finishing by destroying the front carrier bearing on the drive shaft, letting it flop around in there and beat the living crap out of everything.. We were able to limp out of the woods were I called it quits after the water and oil temp started to skyrocket.

Huge thanks to Eric for waiting on us in stage and helping find our time card. lol

A huge shout out to LSE Performance for hooking us up with some huge power gains thanks to their tuning abilities. Just goes to show that not just the big boys can get power out of a 34mm choker in the turbo.

We are planning on being ready for shooting star where we hope to start fresh and finish well. Well at least finish!

Dan Moore
www.sidewaysmotorsports.com
sideways motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #12
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Well technically, I did pass you on stage Dan. But then backed up...Glad we could be there to make sure you made it out. It was a little funny to see the looks on the faces of the start control in stage 2 when they saw your "odd" timecard.

I actually beat car 462's time on stage 1. Only by 16 seconds, but it was the only stage we got a time. I got 11 seconds flat and they had 11.16. Bogey time was 13 minutes. And I was in the CR-V!!!! I wasn't pushing too hard though. We did have fun pulling them out on stage 6.

Andrew- Which stage were you on? I'm glad you had fun. Without people like you coming out, we can't put on any of these rallys. We appreciate the help and thank you very much for putting in the time. Did you make it to the party afterwards? Are you thinking about coming out for Shooting Star Rally on July 15th?

Last edited by MATCHBX; 05-22-2006 at 10:28 PM..
Old 05-24-2006   #13
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

I was counting down on 2 and 8 start start gate. I was on Daves crew and I did make it to the party but didn't stay very long. The whole experience was fun however I was talking with the crew and they always need help. Like you said, none of these events can happen if there aren't people on the gates or radios so if anyone else comes to these events feel free to volunteer. It is fun. I am going to try to make it to the Shooting Star but i don't know at this point. However I DO plan on coming to the Ojibway. I rode along with my dad in his buick however next time I am bringing my GSX.
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #14
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

I'm glad you had fun. Hopefully we'll see you in July. If you get up there early you can go out and drive some of the stages with the bannering crews. It's how I got my start.