MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-20-2011   #1
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style
Seized power steering pump

Vehicle: 91 Talon AWD 2.0 Turbo

Background information: Lug nuts came loose started destroying my new wheel bearing that i put in 3 weeks prior. While driving for the past week or so i started noticing a whine. I figured it was the transfer case or differential about to go. In order to prevent that. I checked all my fluids to see if i was low and the gear whine being caused by low fluid. Transfer case fluid was full, transmission fluid was good so was the differential. I proceeded to check all other fluids EXCEPT for the power steering fluid.

After checking all the fluids i concluded it must be the wheel bearing humming/whining away. . .it almost sounded like straight cut gears at a very low quite level. Yesterday while entering onto highway 394 i lightly accelerated and shortly after turning onto 94w my steering become seriously tight. I couldnt figure out what it was and didnt see any safe spots to pull over. When another car approached from behind i noticed the car smoking and starting to smell like burned rubber, it kind of also had a axle grease smell to it. (that gray stinky stuff)

Limped the car home put it on jack stands and discovered my power steering belt burned/shreded itself into pieces, while doing that it took part of my lower timing belt cover with and contaminated the pulley nicely. So now there is still a whine.

My question or concern. Most cars that have no power assist will drive just like normal once you get rolling especially at highway speeds. However in my case it remains very very firm around corners, slight turns ect.

I did a little bit of investigating and came up with a couple potential causes.

a) power steering pump being sized causing it to not turn?

b)blockage of fluid in the rack (going back the pump being seized)
im not sure what type of pump the 1G PS pumps are if they are vain type or what and if that has anything to do with it.

Thank you for any constructive input.

Last question i wont be driving the car this upcoming winter so for a ps delete, would i need a manual rack at all or can you block the lines somehow and keep the rack you have in your car?

Nice lugs luckily they didn't commit suicide neither.
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Seized power steering pump

Sooooo... What are you asking? You can just remove the power steering pump and loop the lines at the steering rack, but have fun turning the wheel when you're not moving.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #3
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

You can loop the lines like Matt said. It's not THAT bad once all the fluid is out of the rack and the lines are looped, when the fluid is still in the lines with the belt off it is kind of a pain. Highway speeds and anything above like 15mph you can't really tell.

Did you try starting the car while on jack stands and turning the weel with a new belt on it? Might give you some idea where the noise is coming from.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #4
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

I know no power steering assist is a PAIN! Ive always wanted to do it, untill my belt started slipping and i hated it ever after and thought it would be the stupidest idea. However it feels kind of unsafe right now, so i will loop the lines toss the pump, donate it to my isntructor for teaching purposes and move on with life. (how do i do the loop around? simply shorten and re routhe the line back into the rack where they come in?)

Reason why im not putting a pump in is because the Engine is coming out within the next week or 2, 3 at the most. I wanna get it done before DB dyno day . . .

Celica yes i did and it turned freely, with no belt sorry. This happened yesterday night. The pump is seized it wont turn by hand. I honestly cant remember if it was suppose to turn freely by hand with no belt or not, but since it turned freely off the ground i figured it should be good after i picked up speed. Which is why didnt quite understand why it was so hard to turn on the ground after picking up speed. . .?

Last edited by Alpha D; 04-20-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-20-2011   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Cut the hard line, loop the hose over it, fasten with a hose clamp.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #6
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Alright sounds easy enough. Found plenty of DIY on DSM tuner and stuff.
Thank you guys for the input though.

Last edited by Alpha D; 04-20-2011 at 09:53 AM..