MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-25-2004   #1
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
Ok, i have a stupid question.. but valid for my application

Trany oils, do they expand with heat?

what i'm trying to figure out really is does it expand hence creating preasure in the trany? I could see air getting inside the oil and hence modifying volume of oil BUT not the preasure because the amount of air is static in the trany.

also second question..

when filling up oil in the trany, you park the car on level surface and you fill it thru the oil fill hole, and when the oil starts coming out its enough? correct? no more no less?

-E
Old 06-25-2004   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

If I remember correctly there is a vent on the trans to relieve pressure, but I could be wrong. For the most part (except rubber) anything that is heated expands.

Be carefull with the "spill over" method. I've seen fluid come out when it's not full. They take betwen 2 and 3 pints/qts of fluid. Once you see fluid, put the plug in and let it sit for a few minutes. Then check it again and add more if needed. Keep doing this until it starts coming out as a steady drip when you remove the filler plug.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #3
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
yup did that

yesterday i got home and i was like ok this trany oil drip is pissing me off. its leaking around the axle seals not thru the axle seal, but between the housing and the axle seal.. between the axle and axle seal its not leaking there. But anyways..

when the car was hot, i ended up pulling the plug and oil came out gushing.. so i put the plug back in. This morning i opened it up when its cold and it started coming out a little. so i just pluged it back in.

I cleaned the little vent plug on the back, it was caked up with dust and oil residue and i don't think air was able to come out of there. its brand new like now.

Tomorow i will level the car and unscrew the oil plug let the oil drain while its cold and put it back in, clean off the under car and see if it still is leaking.. i hate oil drips..

-E
Old 06-25-2004   #4
1ViciousGSX
Admin

It could be overfilled.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004   #5
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
The vents are ussually the ones for the bell housing. I dont think actual air can get into your tranny as then dust and water and dirt could enter as well while you cleaned it. There may be a vent but I dont think it would be very big.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004   #6
Enes

Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Jun 26 2004, 01:25 AM
The vents are ussually the ones for the bell housing. I dont think actual air can get into your tranny as then dust and water and dirt could enter as well while you cleaned it. There may be a vent but I dont think it would be very big.
you are correct and wrong..

there are 2 vents on the bell housing from the top when you look,

but in the back of the trany, actually on the differential there is a little rubber plug that has dirrect access to the trany internals.

-E