MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-01-2004   #1
95tsi

Drives: a pos
I'm working on tuning via Dsmlink... I've seen that alot of people are getting around 20 degrees of timing at wot. I'm running a FP28 at 20psi and can only seem to get up to 12 degrees with 110 octane before showing knock. To my knowledge I have the fuel settings pretty good just lacking timing. I am running 550 injectors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #2
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
turn the boost down. On race gas you tune for timing not knock. Are you still running the stock SMIC on 20psi?
Old 04-02-2004   #3
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Apr 2 2004, 11:41 AM
turn the boost down. On race gas you tune for timing not knock. Are you still running the stock SMIC on 20psi?
What the hell are you talking about? He has a Dsmlink, so he can set the timing. He will be tuning off of knock (preferably a WB02 though).

There are 2 main ways to prevent knock (in tuning), add more fuel or retard the timing. It sounds like you need the throw some more fuel at it to subdue the knock some. There are other things that will help, but they are mechanical things.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #4
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Tell us your supporting mods first before anything, just saying your problems and turbo and injectors makes it hard to help you. If you are running a side mount you could me heat soaking the hell out of it and that could be some of your problem. If not, do like JET said and keep adding more gas until you can supress the knock and increase the timing as you go and try to find a happy medium.

There are a few guys on there that run a DSM LINK that will help you out but you have to tell more about your car and what supporting mods it has.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #5
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
Tell us more about it. I'm running V2.

-Brian
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #6
95tsi

Drives: a pos
V2 dsmlink, stock sidemount (for now), upper + lower intercooler hard pipes, walbro 255 fuel pump, 550 injectors, Injen intake, 3" turbo back exhaust no cat, FP big 28 turbo, clutch masters 2500 clutch, dejon manual boost controller. I think that is about it... I've always had a problem with the boost setting but it stays steady at 20-21psi. I'm planning on running this sunday then pulling the sidemount and putting on a 1g throttle body and fmic.

Do you even bother with O2's and air/fuel ratios when tuning with race gas? I could keep throwing more fuel at it, but at what point will it be too rich and start losing power? Right now I'm using new O2's just not wideband and running a steady .92 O2 with around 11:1 AF/R's. Am I totally off base with this?
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #7
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
If you don't have a wideband, I wouldn't trust that you are actually running 11:1. With the stock O2 you are only pretty much guessing. Try throwing somemore gas at it, see what happens. Look at your logs. Where is it knocking? Right when boost hits, or at a certain RPM. Go to where its knocking and try a few things. And somebody correct me if I am wrong but should you go for more around 12:1 or 12.5:1 A/F when on race gas?

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote