MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-15-2005   #1
webster_454

Shifter Cables

Car is a 1g tsi awd talon '91 M/T.

On the end of the shifter cable on the tranny side, the black coating over the cable is tore and now when you pull the shifter back to hit 2,4,R you can see the coating pull away and reveal the shiny innercable. I'm not sure when this tore, I noticed it when we starting having problems trying to get in to the back gears (2,4,R) the shifter hits the stopper before the gears are engaged, while investigating this problem I notiched the torn coating. Does anyone know if this coating problem could some how be causing the shifting issues or if the coating is not an issue to worry about. I also just personally think that the back and forward motion on the shifter feels rough and just not how I remember it from my 2g.

I see alot of you parting out 1g's. If anyone has a set of shifter cables out of a 91 I would be interested.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by webster_454; 08-15-2005 at 09:25 PM..
webster_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #2
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: Shifter Cables

The cover doesn't matter unless you're concerned about looks. If you're having a hard time getting it into 2,4,R, adjust the cable next to the shifter. It's the one to the right of the other cable. Both should be adjustable on a 91.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #3
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar
Re: Shifter Cables

Well I am 99% sure the problem was the cover, maybe I didnt describe it well enough, anyway I worked some ziptie magic and tied up the cover part so it didnt move when you move the shifter, all the gears work fine now. It's the part of the coating that is right before those accordian type things(i am very descriptive eh).
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote