Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 12-27-2010   #1
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6
92 Galant VR-4 aka Green Colossus Demon

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #808/1000

^ back when it was "stock"...still wished it was like this lol

I haven’t made a build thread yet but haven't had much of the free time I wanted to type this lol. I got the car back in August of 2007 and it has around 80,000 miles on the engine. Previous owner rebuilt the bottom end with all new rings, bearings, bored .020 over, big 16g, 550s, 190 pump, Magnaflow 3” exhaust system, safc, stock intercooler. The head still looks amazingly great...just needs better looking camshafts

Since I’ve owned the car, it’s been quite reliable for me, I’ve religiously changed the oil RIGHT under the 3,000 mark and it’s been a blast to drive. Now that I’m actually done with school and actually have some free time to work on the car, I really want to finish what I started with the car.

As for go-fast parts I have done, it’s got the E316g, FMIC w/ pipings made from MAP, test-pipe, DSMLink V2, crossed rotors with Hawk Pads, KYB AGX shocks with H&R lowering springs. I still need to go Autocross with the car. It’s been #1 on the list of what I wanted to do with the car since I got it.

How the car currently looks like:

The engine is currently in the works for a 2g mas and batter relocation! As of today!

After this, I just need to change the oil and get it tuned! Pretty pumped because it's been sitting since the first snow fall...it just gets turned on once or twice a week.

Future Plans
Suspension
- get a set of Evo suspension
- replace the front ball joints

Exterior/Interior
- clean up the rust (fender and door)
- rims (215-45-16)
- JDM Front and Rear bump
- JDM headlights
- Evo 8/9 Front and back seats
- AEM wideband

Engine
- 272/272 camshafts
Old 12-27-2010   #2
viridionplague

Drives: 1991 talon tsi, 1991 stealth
Re: 92 Galant VR-4 aka Green Colossus Demon

i love that sticker and im stealing your idea.
viridionplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #3
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

When you want to go AX it look me up. I used to have one and would love to go for a ride (I'm an instructor with one of the local AX clubs). It's good to see a nice clean rust free one.
Old 12-27-2010   #4
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
... It's good to see a nice clean rust free one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
Exterior/Interior
- clean up the rust (fender and door)
The car is solid, and yes you should try auto X with a 16g.

~John
Old 12-29-2010   #5
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
When you want to go AX it look me up. I used to have one and would love to go for a ride (I'm an instructor with one of the local AX clubs). It's good to see a nice clean rust free one.
for sure man. Once I get the suspension and go auto-x, I'll definitely look for you. Kinda want some feed back on how the car feels also. I've got a set of old school BFG g-Force T/A KD's that i've been dying to drive on...only problem is that all four of them are all Left side tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridionplague View Post
i love that sticker and im stealing your idea.
lol. I actually found ONE more in my room. I believe Nartanian has the same sticker spot as I do too.
Old 12-29-2010   #6
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Shit looks tight, I like GVR4 very underrated sedans imo
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #7
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
I've got a set of old school BFG g-Force T/A KD's that i've been dying to drive on...only problem is that all four of them are all Left side tires
Wat? that doesn't even make sense? It's not like they make 2 different kinds of tires for direction tread tires lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #8
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Wat? that doesn't even make sense? It's not like they make 2 different kinds of tires for direction tread tires lol.
Unfortunately, we got these 225-50-16s for a pretty sweet deal like 2-3 years ago. (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....g-Force+T/A+KD) My brother got it for really cheap. He was going to use it, but it just sat in the garage. I've driven on them ONCE when had 16s for the galant about 2 years about but that was it.
Old 12-29-2010   #9
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirerack
The g-Force T/A KD features BFGoodrich's high-silica BlackTech tread compound molded into tires specifically developed for the left and right side of the vehicle. The g-Force T/A KD is the first BFGoodrich tire to feature an asymmetric tread pattern (with large, stable blocks to provide more outer shoulder contact area than almost any other street tire in history) which increases cornering traction and steering response, combined with directional water evacuation channels to help resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction.
WTF? Fail. I've never heard of such a tire except maybe a Nitto Neo Gen. Oh well, there are definitely better tires to be had then those anyways. Unfortunately, your tire size of 215/45 R16 sucks major balls for any decent tires the way it looks. (Just by a quick Tirerack.com search is all) Try to pick up some stock Evo wheels, VIII sets are going for $300-500 now days depending on if they have tires and the remaining tread. That would really open windows as far as tire choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #10
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
WTF? Fail. I've never heard of such a tire except maybe a Nitto Neo Gen. Oh well, there are definitely better tires to be had then those anyways. Unfortunately, your tire size of 215/45 R16 sucks major balls for any decent tires the way it looks. (Just by a quick Tirerack.com search is all) Try to pick up some stock Evo wheels, VIII sets are going for $300-500 now days depending on if they have tires and the remaining tread. That would really open windows as far as tire choices.
haha, yeah, the 215 45 16 does pretty much suck. And yeah, these tires are pretty 'old' for what they are. As for the Evo rims, there have been a couple on the GVR4 forums that do have them, but I'm not 5 lug . Going 5 lug probably won't happen unless 1) the rear end snaps 2) 5 lugs for pretty cheap in working condition 3) 4 bolt rear conversion... because if I'm doing the 5 lug conversion, I'm just gonna want to do the 4 bolt rear on the car. There's definitely way more options if i go with the 5 lug conversion though.
Old 01-04-2011   #11
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Just bought a set of KYB AGX's for the Green Colossus, just waiting on them getting shipped from Vegas. I've heard mixed reviews on these. Some people like them, some people don't. I currently have them on my front and they both went out quite quickly probably because I need to replace the dead ball joints up front.

If anyone has had these, I'd love to hear some feed back. I've read that these do ride quite hard for what they are. I have H&R lowering springs for the suspension, so I'm pretty pumped on how well the car will handle on the street and on a Auto-X day.
Old 01-12-2011   #12
awd-drifter
'2of9'

YES! These just came in! Pretty pumped about autocrossing this year!

Now, just gotta put in the front ball joints and get it tuned. Just turned her on today and she idled pretty well for not have the bov circulated lol.
Old 03-29-2011   #13
awd-drifter
'2of9'

update!

Woot!! Currently at work right now but I'm having my brother put in the suspension and ball joints. We just replaced the driver side tie rod joints with a new one right before I left for work. Video of the horrible tie rod play will also be up soon! can't wait to start driving it! Haven't driven all winter because the tie rod and ball joint issue and now I have to find the reason why the brake and clutch fluid is leaking.

As for now, all it needs right now are:
- install KYB AGXs
- ball joint replacement
- alignment
- install the spark wires and plugs
- plug up the 2g intake pipe
- bleed the brakes and find a possible leak with the brake/clutch fluid.
- DSMLink tune

I've also got to put in the spark wires and spark plugs I got from Andrew (asshanson) before the tune. Pretty pumped for the tune! Still contemplating about moving the battery to the rear...but we'll see how it drives first.
Old 03-30-2011   #14
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Here's one of the reasons why I didn't drive during the winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADWr6DkzpxU&hd=1

out with the old

in with the new

replaced the front struts only for now. can't get one of the rears out. seems like the driver rear shock bolt is stuck in there pretty good. haven't had much time to work on it! just wanna get it finished!

Last edited by awd-drifter; 03-30-2011 at 02:28 PM..
awd-drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #15
Nartanian
I will eat you aliiiive!!

Drives: 1992 Galant VR-4

Quote:
for sure man. Once I get the suspension and go auto-x, I'll definitely look for you. Kinda want some feed back on how the car feels also. I've got a set of old school BFG g-Force T/A KD's that i've been dying to drive on...only problem is that all four of them are all Left side tires

lol. I actually found ONE more in my room. I believe Nartanian has the same sticker spot as I do too.
I do! Looking good so far. Let us know how the AGXs are because I hear mix reviews on the as well.
Old 08-16-2011   #16
awd-drifter
'2of9'

VIDEO as of 08-12-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyRIp0ghX4&hd=1

Yeah, it's been close to a year right about now. I actually have some time to work on it. So far, I'm leaning on towards that it's the S-AFC harness to the ECU. I've switched MAS from 2g to 1g (also switched it in Link). Code still pops up. 0012. From the video above, noise isn't that good but damn, this is a killer for me because I can't trace it down to where the issue could be. I've already switched out MAS, even tried another CAS and nothing . Not to sure if I should "cut" out the SAFC wires from the ecu or not to see if that would fix it. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated Trying to not part ways with this car...I would like to keep it and see how much I can do with it.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011   #17
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Spark plugs, plug wires, coil pack, power transistor. I really doubt it would be the SAFC but if you have DSMLink why bother having the SAFC even in the car?
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #18
awd-drifter
'2of9'

The SAFC was put in by the previous owner. I never touched it. I'm contemplating if I should remove it but if I do, I don't really want to damage the harness. Is it safe to cut the SAFC wires from the ecu?

I switched out the plugs, plug wires. I haven't looked into the coil pack and power transistor yet. Thanks a bunch though, just need some more ideas that could fix this stupid issue.
Old 08-17-2011   #19
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

You cannot just cut the wires and it will be OK. There is a wire that was cut and one end was hooked up to one wire and the other to another wire. You will have to find it, it will be the same color wire from the car connected to two different ones on the SAFC so it won't be hard to find and loop them back together. If I remember right, that's the only one you have to worry about and the rest can just be cut out. But make sure you at least tape off the power wire.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #20
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

Make sure you have it set to hot wire maf in the safc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote