MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 11-08-2011   #281
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM
Re: The Gun Thread

Meh, BATF will ban those soon.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #282
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

After watching that video. I want to buy a AR
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #283
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Agreed that you should look into a 5.56/.223 AR-15. That is what they were natively designed for. That is standard issue for the military as well, and we shot them from as far as 500yds with the standard sights (no scope) with pretty decent accuracy.

I'm building an 18/20" Stainless barrel varmint style AR-15. I personally went to Bill's and bought a stripped lower ($120 I think), as that is the only thing you need a Permit to buy. Everything else I will be buying online and will slowly assemble it over time.

I've found a lot of good deals at www.MidwayUSA.com on fully assembled AR's, or separately assembled uppers and lowers.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #284
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Had such a blast saturday with blackawdtsi and his ak and ar. Definitly solidified what my purchase will be, (.223 AR-15). Thanks a million man we will have to go again sometime.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #285
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Video of Jess and I from saturday. My brother in law put it together, of course he starts with my two misfires. hahaha. prepare.... click.. hmmm... prepare... click... damn... hahah... Hes Austrian and likes thrash metal. hahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlMS-Kl9p6A&hd=1
Thanks again blackawdtsi
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 11-13-2011   #286
blackawdtsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Thanks again blackawdtsi
No prob.

Next time I'll teach ya how to shoot.

Last edited by blackawdtsi; 11-13-2011 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11-15-2011   #287
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawdtsi View Post
No prob.

Next time I'll teach ya how to shoot.
Im blaming it on the right handed gun and i shoot left... er something... yeah ill go with that.
Old 11-21-2011   #288
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

I've seen one of those bumpfire stocks in action. It was almost comical how poorly it worked. Almost. If you want to bumpfire for fun, learn how to do it and screw around on the range. I would never put one of those piece of shit stocks on a rifle I might actually have to use to defend myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_9aGcoE24
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #289
Sparky2211

Drives: 2g DSM, 2008 Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVD View Post
I've seen one of those bumpfire stocks in action. It was almost comical how poorly it worked. Almost. If you want to bumpfire for fun, learn how to do it and screw around on the range. I would never put one of those piece of shit stocks on a rifle I might actually have to use to defend myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_9aGcoE24
lmao, I couldn't agree more!

Picked up a new carry pistol for my "Black Friday" deal.

Ruger LCP .380 - I am very happy with how it feels in the fobus holster. Definitely different than my Glock 23. Overall it feels like a solid weapon and for the price, the quality is great.
Old 11-27-2011   #290
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I went shooting with my .40 XD and my dad's .22's this weekend (wish we could have shot with the M1A too, but didn't have a big enough area). I think I'm going to start rifle target shooting more, it was more fun than I thought. I was initially thinking of going with a .223 or similar a couple months ago, but I figured since I'm just target shooting in the 50-100yd range a .22 will work just fine. The gun is half the price and the ammo is ridiculous cheap in comparison.

I took the AQT (army qualification test, a basic timed rifle shooting skill evaluator) for the first time and I did pretty well, but I'm hoping to improve my accuracy and speed with practice. I shot both my dad's semi auto and his old bolt action, and I actually like the bolt action better. Even though most accuracy events are timed, I was able to get all 10 shots off within a minute with a bolt action.

Does anyone have any opinions on what brand .22 plinker to get? The old bolt action was a Remmington and the new semi auto was a CZ 512, both seemed pretty nice. I was hoping to get a thumb hole stock, and really like the way the Savage Mark II BTV looks (plus it has the nicer trigger and barrel), but haven't ever shot one before. Only looking to spend in the $300 range, maybe a bit more if it comes with a scope.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #291
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Ruger 10-22.

Those Army AQT's are easy, I did 4 or 5 and got 40 every time. The real qualification with pop-ups is a little harder. I always got between 34-39 on those. Tricky to get 40 on the doubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #292
blackawdtsi

The 10/22 is the hot rod of .22s. Aftermarket for it is huge.

But I bought a Marlin 795 for $100 (half of a 10/22).
Old 11-28-2011   #293
asshanson
immune from paybans

I must have taken a slightly different AQT I guess, there were 250 total points in the one I took (I guess that is just 5 points per shot, double for the last stage). 5 points for center of target, 4 for anywhere else on the silhouette, and 3 points for just outside. 10 shots standing with lots of time, then 55 seconds for 10 shots sitting (2 shots + mag change with remaining 8 shots), 1 min for prone (again 2 shots + mag change + 8 shots), and then a long distance prone 10 shot with lots of time. It's a bit more difficult time-wise with a bolt vs semi auto as I found out, especially since you use at least 10-15 seconds going from standing to your sitting/prone position. I'm not a great shot by any means, especially if I have to act quickly, which is basically what I'm aiming to improve. My slow shot times are pretty good, I just have trouble when firing quickly.

I'm not getting a Ruger 10/22 (again I'm looking for a bolt action, not a semi auto). The only good things I've heard are the nice 10 round rotary mag that doesn't stick out, and the huge aftermarket. I've heard some pretty bad things about the trigger and nothing spectacular about the accuracy long range, it seems like an entry level .22 and I'm looking for something a bit nicer. The CZ and Savage both have adjustable trigger weights, I think between 2-5 lbs user adjustable (vs 8-9 on stock 10/22, sure you can change it but it costs about $100 or more). The Ruger does have some cool designs though, pistol grip with folding stock, looks like an assault rifle haha. I've heard some good things about Marlins, just never shot one of those either.

Anyone have a bolt .22 they really like that shoots consistent <2" groups at 100yds?

Last edited by asshanson; 11-28-2011 at 04:29 AM..
Old 11-28-2011   #294
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

^^That's about as accurate as a .22 is going to get. Cooper makes a BADASS gun, look to see if they have any options that fit your needs. Otherwise if you wanted to spend a little more on ammo you could look into a .223 or .22-250 for some real long range shots. .22-250 may be a little more towards what you're looking at.

And yea, that sounds nothing like the real army paper test. LOL. I can't remember how many rounds we knelt, prone, etc. but it was hit or no-hit, and only 1 pt per. max of 40 pts.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2011   #295
asshanson
immune from paybans

Wow, those Cooper rifles are all well over a grand, some over 2k. They look pretty sweet, but I can't spend anywhere near that.
Old 11-28-2011   #296
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Just by a .17HMR bolt gun if you want a cheap varmit/tack driver.
Old 11-28-2011   #297
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

^Good call. But the ammo can get spendy too

Quote:
Old 11-28-2011   #298
CVD
Sten Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QUICK4 View Post
Just by a .17HMR bolt gun if you want a cheap varmit/tack driver.
I second this for cheap-ish shooting at 100 yards. Gonna be cheaper than .223

Plus .22 long rifle already has some serious drop at 100 yards. My heavy barrel 10/22 can pound out groups under 2" all day long at 100 yards...but you're contending with about a foot of drop at that range. You're really just lobbing them at that point.
Old 11-28-2011   #299
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVD View Post
I second this for cheap-ish shooting at 100 yards. Gonna be cheaper than .223

Plus .22 long rifle already has some serious drop at 100 yards. My heavy barrel 10/22 can pound out groups under 2" all day long at 100 yards...but you're contending with about a foot of drop at that range. You're really just lobbing them at that point.
a 22 should only drop about 5 inches at 100 yards, but if you sight it in for 100yards there should be no issue with drop.. also if your worried about bullet drop but still want .22 cheap ammo look into the .22mag its not much cheaper than the 17hmr but its a bigger caliber and pretty flat shooting
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #300
CVD
Sten Sniper

I find I have to hold over about 12" at 100 yards with my 10/22 shooting standard velocity ammo. It is however zero'd for 25 yards. I found charts claiming everything from 5.5" drop, to 7" drop to almost 13" drop as here:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/images/22hv_table.gif

Take your pic. Personally I think 22LR is silly at 100 yards.