MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-16-2006   #1
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo
ss auto chrome fmic

I just wanted to think what people had to say about an ss autochrome fmic? I know that there turbo manifolds are junk cause they break but what about some of there other products? The kit that i just got off ebay for under $300 seems pretty nice and it has short route piping. What do you think?
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: ss auto chrome fmic

The only thing from SSAC that i've heard is decent, is their FMIC's. Everything else is crap, or hit/miss it would seem. I run an Ebay intercooler myself. Not a SSAC though. It works just fine.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #3
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

I have their 1g long route kit with the huge ass intercooler. I love it, let me know if you have any questions
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #4
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack
I have their 1g long route kit with the huge ass intercooler. I love it, let me know if you have any questions
What kind of IATs are you running with that kit?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #5
turbo2086

Send a message via MSN to turbo2086

Check this out: http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212244

I saw the kit on Twack's car today. Looks very clean, and the intercooler is huge. IMO I think it's the best bang for the buck.
turbo2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #6
longemoco

yeap, i have one of their kits too. it seems to work fine for me. i dont have a logger to know how much it's helping.
longemoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #7
npaulseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey
I think the SSAC FMIC kits are more for athsetic purposes than functionality purposes. I know Mo from Elite strongly suggests not using them if you plan on making power.
Old 09-16-2006   #8
twack

Thats funny cause i really cant ever recall a single person not being satisfied with their intercooler kit from ssac. Every person ive talked to loves it, So far tried and true. I can pound the hell out of mine and never heat up the UICP still ice cold while the other side is to hot to touch
Old 09-16-2006   #9
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Quote:
Thats funny cause i really cant ever recall a single person not being satisfied with their intercooler kit from ssac. Every person ive talked to loves it, So far tried and true. I can pound the hell out of mine and never heat up the UICP still ice cold while the other side is to hot to touch
Great, wonderful, who cares. Let's see some temperature data if you're going to preach about the quality of the FMIC kits.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #10
twack

I can log it but i dont have a comparison from before. I know for me its a improvement to go from heatsoaking the intercooler and hot uicp to ice cold uicp. Go search tuners i know theres people that have done the testing
Old 09-16-2006   #11
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
I can log it but i dont have a comparison from before. I know for me its a improvement to go from heatsoaking the intercooler and hot uicp to ice cold uicp. Go search tuners i know theres people that have done the testing
Sweet, post up some numbers and I'll tell you if its actually working like it should, or if it's as effective as a front mount air filter on a honda civic.
Intercoolers are cheap for a reason.
There is "working" and WORKING, two different things when it comes to intercooling a system.
Old 09-17-2006   #12
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

All you have to do is look at the fins on the inside/outside of the core. There is no turbulance being created, thus no cooling. It may work better then a stock 1g/2g sidemount, but that isn't saying much. Nobody needs a before, if you post any temps now.. that'll tell the story.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr
Sweet, post up some numbers and I'll tell you if its actually working like it should, or if it's as effective as a front mount air filter on a honda civic.
Intercoolers are cheap for a reason.
There is "working" and WORKING, two different things when it comes to intercooling a system.
Ahh yes. So do 2 SMIC's "work" to cool 2 50trims on your high boost settings?

Does the Greddy core have internal turbulators?
Old 09-17-2006   #14
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey
You are expecting way too much outa this crowd.
Old 09-17-2006   #15
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-on

Depends on the core.

The Greddy V-Spec core has very little inside it. The call it a "max flow" design with "Micro Groove Tube". It looks like an extruded tube design inside, but with even less than usual going on inside. They recommend that core for low-medium boost on factory turbo engine or for orginally NA cars with a basic bolt-on turbo kit.

The Greddy R-Spec core has inner turbulator fins to dissipate heat. They call it their "max cooling" design and recommend it for medium-high boost levels and for higher horsepower engines.

Just watch out for intercooler cores where all they hype is how little their core has for pressure drop. A straight pipe had little pressure drop also, but it doesn't cool much.

There are so many different eBay/SS autochrome style intercoolers out there now with all of the different places in China making them for dirt cheap. They probably work fine at low boost, but they sometimes have leaks at higher boost and some have been tested to be absolute crap at high boost levels. Who knows if some are good while others are bad though. I am not a fan of the easy to see through cores though. Some are just square boxes, with no turbultors or extrude turbing inside. I don't really like extruded turbe intercooler either though, Spearco sold them for a year or so about 4 years ago for a less expensive line of cores, but dumped them because they didn't perform nearly as well as their bar-and-plate design.

Last edited by Shane@DBPerformance; 09-17-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Shane@DBPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #16
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-on
Ahh yes. So do 2 SMIC's "work" to cool 2 50trims on your high boost settings?

Nope, and they weren't designed to smartass. Around 600awhp they are toast.
They have a great core, but eventually frontal area becomes an issue.

But if I would have used the "other" sidemount (aka dsm, aka cheap) I'd heat soak them around 500awhp.

Budget build here folks, I have less into my car that quite a few members do into their cars.
Old 09-17-2006   #17
Halon
Pewp Champion

Ahhh don't get mad at me baby! Just saying, I bet he's on a "budget build" too, and it might just work for him. But anyway, good luck with your choice, whatever it may be!
Old 09-17-2006   #18
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

I think it will be work just fine, the car is gonna be pretty much stock probably till next summer,then ill start doing some more performance mods
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #19
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

Okay, first let me say that I do believe spearco makes the best core's as far as intercoolers go. They ARE proven on many racecars.

Now I am going to attempt to stir the pot a little bit.

Does anyone here have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that a spearco core significantly reduces intake temps more than a similar sized "ebay" intercooler. Beyond that, do you have proof that in the real world it is actually making a difference? Like drop in ET's, higher MPH, significantly less detonation, you get the picture.

From what I have seen, some of the "ebay" core's look IDENTICAL to a evotion intercooler core, down to spacing on the fins and sizes of the tubes.

And, if we want to go even farther then that. Lets say a ebay core makes 500whp on a car, and with a nice spearco core it makes 520whp, is it really worth the extra 300plus dollars for the spearco?
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
turbo2086

Send a message via MSN to turbo2086

Mike5512 what's your goals for your car? Can't we all agree though that just about anything would be better then the stock dsm smic? I think we can, and depending on his goals and budget, this kit could work great for his needs. Did you read the thread I posted from dsmtuners? The author did mention that he felt more power at 10psi with the fmic then he did 14psi on the smic. I know its not like statistical proof or anything, but it's interesting I think.
turbo2086 is offline   Reply With Quote