Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 01-10-2008   #21
vr-4lif3

Re: Any one go to Wyotech?? UTI??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_240sx View Post
What problem ?
http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15425

Sorry to get off topic. Anyways I think it's a nice idea that you can get a 2 year degree in 3 months. However if they had a year long program to get the same degree I would do that. How much information can you retain in 3 months? If you think you can get 2 years worth of information than it would be worth it.
vr-4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #22
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr-4lif3 View Post
http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15425

Sorry to get off topic. Anyways I think it's a nice idea that you can get a 2 year degree in 3 months. However if they had a year long program to get the same degree I would do that. How much information can you retain in 3 months? If you think you can get 2 years worth of information than it would be worth it.
Its not a 2 year degree its a 3 month degree (I'm agreeing with you if it wasn't clear)
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #23
SBR_240sx

Send a message via AIM to SBR_240sx

That thread is not a problem its a joke. But we are about 15 miles from wyotech and have seen a few good people apply here but not when we were hiring. It does seem a bit over priced for only 9 months though.

Last edited by SBR_240sx; 01-10-2008 at 02:34 PM..
SBR_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #24
NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE
ROFLCOPTER!!!

Drives: 2005 Civic LX MANAUL!!!
Send a message via AIM to NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE Send a message via Yahoo to NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE

The way I see, as far as the price goes, you pay around 25-35$k or so to go through 4 years at a traditional college. At the end of your college career you end up mainly focusing on your degree or whatever. So as far as WyoTech is concerned, you go for 9 months, 9 hours a day, and you pretty much specialize in what you want to do the whole time. In a normal college, you might be going for 1-3 hours one day, a day off, 1 hour the next, and so on. So by spending 9 hours at school each day, it's almost effectively like what you would do in a 4 year program. We cover a ridiculous amount of shit everyday and then usually test the next day or 2 later. I feel it's worth it for the price, for the most part at least.

Need computer help? PM me if you need repair/virus problems/system building/etc, virtually anything.

"...when u lube up the pistons ur supposed to get higher compression then when they are dry..."
NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #25
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

^^^ I was in the middle of typing the exact same thing earlier. The course is so accelerated that it basically equals out to a 2 year program at dunwoody or something similar. Another reason why it's not for everyone though. If you can't put alot of effort in, and pick up on shit quickly, you'll probably just phase out
Old 01-10-2008   #26
93TalonES_NWS

Im thinking UTI now only because its LESS rushed and gives me 15 months rather than 9 (wyotech) .
93TalonES_NWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #27
NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE
ROFLCOPTER!!!

Drives: 2005 Civic LX MANAUL!!!
Send a message via AIM to NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE Send a message via Yahoo to NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE

It's not that WyoTech's rushed, you're just in class longer, that's all. You get pretty much the same experience from UTI. But I will say, I've talked to employers when they come out here, and they really aren't hiring UTI students anymore. Not to say that you should go to WyoTech just for that reason, but I always thought it was BS until I actually talked to employers. And we have the ASM program with the degree, so it's sort of a toss-up I guess. The Laramie campus blows ass all over the place though. Like b00stcreep21 said in his first post, all there is to do is pretty much become an alcoholic.

I manage to get excellent grades though, I just study when I'm not partyin' or something.

Need computer help? PM me if you need repair/virus problems/system building/etc, virtually anything.

"...when u lube up the pistons ur supposed to get higher compression then when they are dry..."
NOT THE BLUE LAMPSHADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #28
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer

My input on it.

I went to UTI in Chi-town for about 3 months. I did not graduate. I dropped out. We were having family issues (mom lost feeling in her legs, slipped disc), and overall, I just wasn't happy with what was being taught.

I had a good GPA (top 2-3 in each class I did take), but some of the instructors were less than genius level, and some were downright wrong on many points. I could go into it, but there is no need, everyone is wrong about things.

I have lots of friends that also went to one of the two expensive ass auto schools. None of them went anywhere directly out of school, and all in all, the piece of paper saying they went didn't really do jack shit. It's a piece of paper, and most managers know that a piece of paper != good at wrenching.

With that, it does provide a good base education on how all the automotive systems work. You will learn how everything works, sometimes how to troubleshoot, but you won't learn how to get down and dirty, which is the most important thing to learn IMO.

You will come away with the same education you would going to any other college. Problem is, you won't come away with College Credits like you would at say Century or something, so if you decide to do something else, you are at square 1.

Here is what I would say:

IF you plan on taking one of the programs after UTI/Wyo (Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, Volvo, Mercedes) then by all means, it is a GREAT foot in the door, and you WILL make more money than any other tech starting out, hands down. These programs are competitive, and do require very good grades to get accepted.

If you don't want to do a program, I would stay local, gain college credits, and work at a shop while you are in school. This way you get hands on experience as well as schooling.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote