MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2004   #1
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Well here’s the deal. I have fake knock coming from somewhere. I can hammer it one time and have absolutely no “knock” detected, change nothing, hammer it again and be “knocking” up the wazoo. Some times I have had it knock in 1st and 2nd and then go away in 3rd. Changing boost (the one thing I can tune) has no effect, anywhere from 8psi to 18psi it behaves the same way. I was able to get it to “knock” for a split second multiple times just shifting into 4th at low rpm. I also get “knock” at part throttle some times, not in boost but almost. I also saw the some part throttle knock that corresponded to a hill, started at like 35 counts at the bottom and slowly tapered off as I reached the top. I have gone through and made sure everything is tight, tranny, motor mounts, t-case and the drivers side half shaft mount. Any other major components I should check? Other than that, anyone know of any common sources of fake knock? Don’t say the HLA‘s, they aren’t ticking. I am thinking it may be in the tranny or t-case, bad bearings or something? I just had the t-case recall done.

Car is a 92 GVR4 with some goodies.