MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 03-08-2012   #1
Trogdor

Drives: people crazy
Advice from a cop - What to do when you're pulled over.

I was talking with a guest who was looking at a GSR the other day about this. I thought I would pass along some tid bits from a buddy of mine who is a cop. A couple tips on what to dow hen you get pulled over, from someone in law enforcement. I can't say "It'll get you out of a ticket!" Then a cop would be telling me how to avoid the law, but what he did say is that any officer who pulls you over will greatly appreciate you doing these things.

According to to my friend, traffic stops are one of the leading causes of injuries to officers. It's not like they're responding to a 911 call where they have some idea of what they're walking in to. With that in mind the officer has one main thing objective as they approach your car, safety. Here are some things you could do to help keep them safe and give them that peace of mind.

1) Turn the car off. This way they know you're not going to drive off, or back up and run them over.
1a) Put the keys on the dash where they can see them. Same idea here.

2) Have your licence and insurance out... or at the very least have your wallet on the dash where it can be seen. If you're reaching in to your back pocket to get your wallet, they have no idea what you might pull out from behind your back.

3) If it's dark out, turn your dome lights on and park under a light if you can. Yes, they'll have their light on you, but it still helps them see in side the car.

4) Keep your hands where they can see them! On the wheel in the best place for them. If you have to move make sure they know what you're doing first, "Officer, I'm going to reach in to my glove box to get my insurance card."

5) If you have a concealed carry, let them know that you have a weapon in the car and allow them to decide how to proceed with it. They may ask you to hand it to them until they're finished with the stop. They may ask you to place it on the dash. Or, they may ask you where it is, take note of that and do nothing else.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: Advice from a cop - What to do when you're pulled over.

Seems like these are really common sense things to do.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #3
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

I've gotten pulled over 3 times total since I started driving. First one was actually a speeding the other 2 was just warnings (thank goodness). I've always done number 4.
Old 03-08-2012   #4
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Those are very useful tips and stuff that I always do!

The only other two things I can say have worked for me is to be very respectful and truthful. Whenever I have admited I was driving like a dick or shouldn't have done that pull they are a lot nicer than when saying I don't know why I was pulled over or saying I did nothing wrong.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #5
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
The only other two things I can say have worked for me is to be very respectful and truthful. Whenever I have admited I was driving like a dick or shouldn't have done that pull they are a lot nicer than when saying I don't know why I was pulled over or saying I did nothing wrong.
Agreed. Treat them like a human being, and remember they're just doing your job. Do you like it when people have an attitude with you at your job? I'd guess not.

Also, they are fairly common sense things, but we've had arguments on here before about getting everything ready and turning dome lights on vs sitting there and waiting to be instructed to do so, how movement bothers them, etc. I've always done it as stated here and have never had any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #6
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Seems like these are really common sense things to do.
This. Unfortunately common sense doesn't grow on trees.

I'll sit and wait patiently for someone to post something along the lines of "the cops are dicks", "I rev'd, my engine but not too loud", "fucking pigs pulled me over for no reason and I didn't have a valid license, had expired tabs, and I was smoking weed". Those posts are my favorite.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #7
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

[QUOTE I'll sit and wait patiently for someone to post something along the lines of "the cops are dicks", "I rev'd, my engine but not too loud", "fucking pigs pulled me over for no reason and I didn't have a valid license, had expired tabs, and I was smoking weed". Those posts are my favorite. [/QUOTE]

What? These excuses arent legit?

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #8
toddrhodes

Drives: '97 GSX Auto, built, 2008 MS3

I've always just been respectful, humble, and cooperated. Been pulled over four times, with only one ticket because it was in a construction zone and the behemoth Explorer (for work) I was driving didn't coast down at all, woops. Police officers appreciate respect, in my experience.
toddrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #9
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Ah, this one time maybe half a year after I got my car, my friend was driving, I had a 3" exhaust with no mufflers and he came around this corner and had the back end swinging wide (evo owners don't know about this, but it's really fun) and this taurus with lights in it pulls us over, and the guy comes out in a suit and starts yelling at us about how crazy it was. He said he was an undercover cop, and that if he were a traffic cop he'd have had us put in jail and the car impounded. Or something to that effect. then he said don't do it again and drove off.

If you're going to get pulled over, make sure it's an undercover officer

and to the serious part: you all keep believing that as long as you follow the rules, there's nothing to worry about. Soon enough, the rules will prevent you from driving the car at all.

Last edited by FattyBoomBatty; 03-08-2012 at 11:16 PM..
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #10
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

^^^ love it.

But yes. Being polite has never helped me. I'm sure the officer likes it, but why would they let you break the law just because you're polite?

I've been pulled over lots of times. Lots of tickets.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 03-09-2012 at 08:56 AM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #11
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

I never reach for my insurance and ID until they have come up to the car. They can see you fiddling around in your car and could make them a bit more nervous. I wait for them to come up and ask for it then let them know I am reaching for it.

Being an MP for the Marine Corps this is the way I would prefer people to do it.

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote