MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-02-2010   #1
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Surge Tanks

Has anybody ever ran a surge tank or knows anybody who has one?

I've been looking at these a bit the past couple days and they seem like they are a pretty good option for people wanting to keep the stock fuel tank, have an external pump, and keeping base fuel pressure down.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm

An example from link.

Since I don't plan on upgrading my fp hta DSM82 turbo any time soon because it's not super laggy but don't think it has enough in it to hit my goals for the car. So I wanted to switch to a direct port nitrous setup and shoot a decent shot at it. I don't really have any real power goals in mind, but want to get as close to a 150mph trap as I can.

With that in mind, do you guys think that my 255hp feeding a surge tank (like the one above) through stock lines, an 044 with a boost a pump on it feeding the rail, 1600s, an aftermarket regulator and a stock return would work?

Just kicking around the idea but I would like to upgrade my fuel system somewhat and being as cheap as I am, I would like to do it once and cheaply.

If you have any other ideas or other tips I am all ears!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Surge Tanks

I guess I don't see how that would be any cheaper than using a small fuel cell with a big external pump, which would also save some weight in the process. If it were me I'd rather do it right the first time, rather than doing it cheap the first time.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #3
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

I still like to drive the car on the street and see myself taking it to work and just randomly driving around on nice days this summer. A fuel cell just seems to put the car over the top of a street car but it is starting to be less and less of a daily driver.

I guess I should look into the fuel cell option. But if the cell is aluminum I'd have to get it anodized, and a steel cell would probably add weight. With a cell I'd also have to buy new lines from the tank all the way to the rail, where with a surge tank mounted in the bay I would only have to buy a little bit of line. Also with the fuel cell you have to figure out a place t mount it and build a fire wall around it. Nothing I couldn't handle but a lot more work and weight.

I should really price out both options though.
Old 01-02-2010   #4
scheides
flips McGee

AMS has a kit for the EvoX, Ryan Gates runs one on his car; maybe PM him about it. It's pretty nice, fits behind the back seat w/o much intrusion on anything else. Def a nice option, fuel cells suck, cutting up/out stock fuel tank FTL.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #5
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

Why anodize the cell? Cuz you run e-fuel? I run corn gas, and my rail, and the 1/2" hardline to the rail from the tank is all aluminum..
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #6
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
AMS has a kit for the EvoX, Ryan Gates runs one on his car; maybe PM him about it. It's pretty nice, fits behind the back seat w/o much intrusion on anything else. Def a nice option, fuel cells suck, cutting up/out stock fuel tank FTL.
I was looking at the ones AMS makes, they do look super slick on the EvoX. I still don't know if I could pass tech with it in the drivers compartment without some sort of fire wall around it. If they had a bolt in kit for a 2g, I'd probably be saving my pennies for that kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
Why anodize the cell? Cuz you run e-fuel? I run corn gas, and my rail, and the 1/2" hardline to the rail from the tank is all aluminum..
E-85 will start to eat away at an aluminum cell. There is no way it will put a hole in the cell in a year, but will start to tarnish and eat away at it from what I've read from peoples experience with cells and the full blown's hanger. If I did get an aluminum one I would get it anodized for peace of mind, cells are expensive for a poor recently out of college kid so I'd like to spend a little extra and have it anodized if I ever went that route.
Old 01-02-2010   #7
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

get a mechanical pump ya baller
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #8
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I am keeping an eye on this thread. The surge tank just allows, almost a reserve area, for fuel so when it is suddenly demanded its instantly there? I thought it's purpose was mainly to avoid fuel starvation with high g's from cornering?
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #9
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
get a mechanical pump ya baller
I am about as far from a baller as one could be. Plus I don't think I'd ever need something that crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
I am keeping an eye on this thread. The surge tank just allows, almost a reserve area, for fuel so when it is suddenly demanded its instantly there? I thought it's purpose was mainly to avoid fuel starvation with high g's from cornering?
Yep pretty much, it's really big with road racers and people that auto cross. Its nice too for drag racers so you can have an empty tank and really worry as much about it all sloshing to the back and running out of fuel.

I was looking a them because it seems like it will solve the problem 2g awd guys have about not being able to get low base fuel pressure with a big pump and seems like I could probably piece together the whole thing for the same price if not cheaper than a nice fuel cell.

Keep the comments and ideas coming, there is always something I forget or don't think about.
Old 01-03-2010   #10
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
I was looking at the ones AMS makes, they do look super slick on the EvoX. I still don't know if I could pass tech with it in the drivers compartment without some sort of fire wall around it. If they had a bolt in kit for a 2g, I'd probably be saving my pennies for that kit.
Well, gates races on the open track with it, so there must be some rules surrounding it that they've met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
I am about as far from a baller as one could be.
effing right ginger!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #11
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

If someone is looking for a surge tank setup: http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-en...urge-tank.html

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote