MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-22-2012   #1
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4
Looking for some info

So. For the past couple weeks I have been running my car fairly hard. I have the MBC set at 15psi and with the 3 inch exhaust it will creep to 18psi.

The problem I have been having is that I keep blowing my dipstick out and blowing oil into the engine bay.

I have replaced the PCV valve already and that didn't help anything. From the reading I have been doing it seems as though I can have either bad rings or possibly bad headgasket. I jsut replaced the HG with a felpro one, had to when I got the car, and I added ARP standard headstuds to it also.

Now, if it is the rings, is it possible to replace them with the motor in the car? If it would be easy to, would it be possible to swap out the old stuff with my 2g piston/1g rod setup i have?

I plan on doing a leakdown test tomorrow. So I will hopefully know where the leak is. I am just trying to get some info before I get that far so I know what I am dealing with. And I have been searching, but haven't found much about replacing rings while motor in car.

Info on the car
AFAIK Stock shortblock with unknown miles on it.
Headgasket and studs were put in about 2 months ago. ARP studs where used though.
still running the 13b turbo.
2.5 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhaust after that.
I am not sure what else you would need to know.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012   #2
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000
Re: Looking for some info

If your leak down test confirms rings are shot (to me it sounds like they are), do it right and pull the motor. It's damn near impossible to keep the filings from getting down into the crank case, and since you'd have the head and oil pan off, it's not that much more work to pull the engine all the way out.
Old 03-22-2012   #3
Perkul8r

That is true. I was just hoping not to pull the motor cause I dont have anywhere to work on a motor. Except outside....I dont have a garage or personal shop anymore. And my boss's shop is to full right now to get anything into.

thats the only reason i was looking at doing them with the motor in the car.
Old 03-22-2012   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Honestly there is probably nothing wrong. This is a common problem on 1g's. The rubber piece on the end of the dipstick gets old and doesn't grip well and it just slides right out. There are several fixes out there, I haven't seen a very nice one. I crimped the end of mine just a bit so it bites harder, I have seen people zip tie it in and also a contraption with hose clamps.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5
dsmghost

Drives: 1gb Talon TSi AWD
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmghost

In my opinion, before doing a leakdown test you should run a compression test. But if your shooting oil out of the dipstick you do have excessive crankcase pressure. Most likely rings or a damaged piston. But compression test for sure.
dsmghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #6
Perkul8r

I already tried crimping the end of it too. and it will still shoot it out past the rubber part.

The other thing i forgot, and I dont know if this was caused by any crank case pressure or not, but the other day when i was giving a buddy a ride i got on it and last I seen was 17.2psi on the boost gauge. And than all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the engine bay. Somehow the gasket between the oil filter and the filter housing blew out.

The car was fully warmed up I wasn't even full throttle yet. My buddy said it was loose, but I remember making sure it was tight when i installed my WBO2 sensor a couple days before. It hasn't done it since, but I have been alot nicer to the car since than.
Old 03-22-2012   #7
Perkul8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmghost View Post
In my opinion, before doing a leakdown test you should run a compression test. But if your shooting oil out of the dipstick you do have excessive crankcase pressure. Most likely rings or a damaged piston. But compression test for sure.
I wish I would have thought ahead of time about doing a compression test. I could still do one, the motor is pretty much just a longblock right now just sitting in the car.

I would have to find a tester though.
Old 03-22-2012   #8
dsmghost

Drives: 1gb Talon TSi AWD
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
I wish I would have thought ahead of time about doing a compression test. I could still do one, the motor is pretty much just a longblock right now just sitting in the car.

I would have to find a tester though.
you can rent them from the many auto parts stores. you pay a deposit and get all your money back when you bring it back to them.
dsmghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #9
Perkul8r

I wish I had that option here in town. I moved from a town that had three Oreillys, one of which i worked at, to a town with two different companies, and neither rent tools.

the closest Oreilly's now is an hour away.