Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer
Re: FFWD Connection Camshafts

What about Crower cams??

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #22
brando

Drives: gutlass
Send a message via AIM to brando Send a message via MSN to brando Send a message via Yahoo to brando

old man crower know's his shit but thats all beside's the point. we could start another thread for cam discussion but i would just like to find out about these cam's. so far we have talked about pretty much every other cam rather than the one's i was wondering about. why shouldn't i run em? what's bad about them? i need hard evidence. people can talk but i need people who know what they are talking about
brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #23
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Attached is my dyno sheet with the DKS 272's. Take it for what it's worth. This was on pump 92, bolt on 50 trim, right around 20psi, stock 1G intake manifold, fmic, typical supporting mods for that kind of setup. This was after the tune was complete. I did have knocking issues also, so take that into account as well. I went back to LSE (same dyno) maybe 4 months later, with basically the same setup, but with HKS 272's, and made 285hp. I swapped out the DKS's and swapped in the HKS's the same day. Right away I noticed the lopey idle with the HKS's, which gave me a feeling that these cams were actually doing something. And the care "felt" faster. The DKS's idled just like stock, and I honestly just didn't "feel" any gains up top like I always hear from people who just upgraded their cams.

Here is his warrantee statement straight off the site...
If you see any pitting of the lobes, breakage, or fracturing of our cams within a year of purchase date, we'll replace that defective component at no charge!
Well I had some issues where I bent some valves on my head. When I removed the cams (that were not a year old yet), I noticed one of the dowel pins was broken on the cam. So I wrote him, looking to get a replacement under warrantee. Emails went back and forth quite a few times. Me being polite and calm, keeping my cool, and basically kissing his ass. And him replying, in not so polite of a tone, and putting up a fight before honoring the warrantee. Of course I saved all the emails and still have them. Here was one reply he sent me...

All I can say on that pin if blame was to be pinned it would be Mitsu because we're dealing with a part manufactured by them. We just merely used the product as a base and modded it from there. We didn't make the pin….we didn't press it in there…we didn't pour the casting for the cam. I think you know where I'm going with it.

So I was supposed to go to Mitsu with this 15 year old cam and get them to warrantee it? I understand it's a reground cam, but I thought I was buying a FFWD product in the end. I'm not sure if you have a head built by them, and you find a big problem with it after you receive it back from them, if that's out of their hands as well, because all they really did was modify a Mitsu OEM part, they didn't make the head, pour the casting...? I still don't know what caused that pin to break. But either way, he says it has a 1 year warrantee right on his site. He did eventually honor it, but it was like pulling teeth to get him to honor it. He also started to get a bit less friendly when we started mentioning short blocks, and I told him I decided to have a local shop build my motor. Soon as I got his replacement part, I sold them because I didn't want to run any of his parts anymore.

I wish you the best with your purchase, whatever your choice. I personally could care less. Just sharing my personal experience. I may be a rare case here, but never the less, it was my experience. And the way it sits right now, we have some great local vendors whom I will continue to support before I ever think about trying to deal with him again. Good luck to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno 6-23 pump 20.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7848  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 10-26-2008 at 10:15 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #24
hippiekiller

^That's too bad, Darren has shipped out stuff for me on days they aren't even open, shipped things for free and things of that nature multiple times.
hippiekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #25
TsiEagleTalon92

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Palisade

What about webcams? I got their cams and they seem amazing in my talon.
TsiEagleTalon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #26
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Maybe I was a rare case. He was very nice, friendly, and helpful at first. Until I had an issue, and until I mentioned I was considering others to build my motor as well. After that, his personality changed. And that's when my opinion of him and his shop started to change.

Again, I may be a rare case here. So good luck with whatever route you take Brando. IF he's great and friendly to you, then hey you go with what you feel is best for you.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #27
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsiEagleTalon92 View Post
What about webcams?
Those were the hot-street-setup back in '02.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #28
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

I vote HKS if you can find a good deal on a set. I think I paid 350 shipped for mine.
Old 10-27-2008   #29
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

webcams are decent on top end but murder you on the bottom end much worse then any other 272 cams, still an upgrade but the lowest of the 272 family
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #30
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

If you're getting them for free, go ahead and use them. Otherwise you have many many other options, Comp, FP, HKS, Crower, Brian Crower, Crane, and I'm sure some other Japanese cam, and probably more.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #31
TsiEagleTalon92

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
webcams are decent on top end but murder you on the bottom end much worse then any other 272 cams, still an upgrade but the lowest of the 272 family
Would you be willing to tell me a little more about what you are saying in reference to decent top end but a murdered bottom end? I am just a little comfuddled with what you mean. (newbyish)
Old 10-28-2008   #32
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

if i can find the comparison graph ill show you
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #33
TsiEagleTalon92

are you referring to hp and torgue bottom and top end on a dyno? I understand then.