MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 05-13-2013   #661
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4
Re: The Gun Thread

A few new rimfire acquisitions in the last weeks

Henry .22 Levergun from local pawnshop

And a Ruger MK II Target from a friend of a friend.
Stainless, 10" bull barrel and upgraded grips

Old 05-21-2013   #662
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

Added a red dot right and magnifier on a swing out mount.
Old 05-21-2013   #663
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

NICE!!! what did that combo set you back? if you dont mind me asking?

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #664
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Rented some .380s at Bill's with the lady. We liked the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard over the Ruger LCP.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #665
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Picked up 80 rounds of 556 62 grain. Been trying to find some non 55 grain for my gun. I want to try some 75 grain even at some point. The 1:7 twist demands it!
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #666
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsXtUrBo98 View Post
NICE!!! what did that combo set you back? if you dont mind me asking?
Just shy of $300 all said and done.
Old 05-23-2013   #667
Murlo26

Some late night ammo ordering.

Bought a few different kinds of match grade ammo, want to test higher grain counts got a few 69 and 75 ones.

I am ready to go shooting soon, who else is in Next weekend we should have a day!
Old 05-24-2013   #668
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I hope to go shooting this weekend at my parents' house, need to fix the extractor and hopefully the scope on my .308. Otherwise it's scope shopping time! I really don't understand why a good scope costs 10x as much as a cheap one, surely they can't cost that much more to make?

Murlo, what kind of ammo did you get? Once I get mine fixed I want to do a side by side comparison of my surplus 7.62 vs Federal match 168g vs Winchester match 168g. Funny thing is the federal and winchester both use the Sierra King bullet, just different casings/powder.

Last edited by asshanson; 05-24-2013 at 12:50 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #669
Murlo26

I bought some Winchester ranger match 69 grain stuff and Prvi Partizan 75 grain stuff.

We shall see how they do.
Old 05-24-2013   #670
asshanson
immune from paybans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I bought some Winchester ranger match 69 grain stuff and Prvi Partizan 75 grain stuff.

What does that stuff cost a round? I think my Winchester ranger match was about $1/each, kind of sucks.
Let us know how they do. Do you have a scope or anything (thought you gave GH his acog back), or iron sights? What range are you going to be shooting at?
Old 05-24-2013   #671
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
What does that stuff cost a round? I think my Winchester ranger match was about $1/each, kind of sucks.
Let us know how they do. Do you have a scope or anything (thought you gave GH his acog back), or iron sights? What range are you going to be shooting at?
The ranger stuff was like 1.50/rd I think, I think it was 30ish a box, I only bought one. I just want to try heavier stuff in my gun.

No scope, straight irons Money spent on car stuff, I think I am going to pick up an EOtech in a few months.

No idea on the range, just want to shoot it, been a while.
Old 05-24-2013   #672
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Quote:
I hope to go shooting this weekend at my parents' house, need to fix the extractor and hopefully the scope on my .308. Otherwise it's scope shopping time! I really don't understand why a good scope costs 10x as much as a cheap one, surely they can't cost that much more to make?

Murlo, what kind of ammo did you get? Once I get mine fixed I want to do a side by side comparison of my surplus 7.62 vs Federal match 168g vs Winchester match 168g. Funny thing is the federal and winchester both use the Sierra King bullet, just different casings/powder.
It does cost that much more to manufacture.

Ever shopped around for camera glass? Same thing with firearm glass, but high end scopes have to sustain recoil, drops on the ground, being banged around HMMVs all day, etc. What you pay for in a high end scope is ruggedness, clarity and in-spec turrets. A lot of the low end scopes turrets are actually way off. 1/4 Moa advertised might actually be 1/3. First focal plane vs second also has a huge effect on cost. Same with etched glass.

The Viper PST line is by far the best bang for the buck IMO.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #673
blackawdtsi

Also, when you say "just different casings and powder" makes it sound like not a big deal. FGMM actually weighs and keeps VERY close tolerances for their brass. If you look at used brass, you'll see a huge difference in what surplus, FGMM and especially Lapua brass will net someone.

Powders act the same way as fuel in our cars, different flame fronts, burn times, pressure, etc. All of them have a huge effect on the consistency of your grouping.

I had Federal Fusion 165gr shoot a .317" group at 100 yds. I can't remember what 168 FGMM did but I remember it was worse out of my rifle. Conversely, we used the same box of FGMM 168 in my friend's accuracy international ae308 and I did a .214" group at 200 yds.
Old 05-24-2013   #674
asshanson
immune from paybans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawdtsi View Post
It does cost that much more to manufacture.

Ever shopped around for camera glass? Same thing with firearm glass, but high end scopes have to sustain recoil, drops on the ground, being banged around HMMVs all day, etc. What you pay for in a high end scope is ruggedness, clarity and in-spec turrets. A lot of the low end scopes turrets are actually way off. 1/4 Moa advertised might actually be 1/3. First focal plane vs second also has a huge effect on cost. Same with etched glass.

The Viper PST line is by far the best bang for the buck IMO.
Those look pretty nice, I like the 6-24x50 model. What is the difference between the first and second focal plane? It is about in the price range I was looking for, I might check out Bushnell too because I can get a discount on trade in for my broken one.

Quote:
Also, when you say "just different casings and powder" makes it sound like not a big deal.
I didn't mean to say those things aren't important, I just thought it was interesting they used the same bullet.
Old 05-24-2013   #675
blackawdtsi

Quote:
Those look pretty nice, I like the 6-24x50 model. What is the difference between the first and second focal plane? It is about in the price range I was looking for, I might check out Bushnell too because I can get a discount on trade in for my broken one.

I didn't mean to say those things aren't important, I just thought it was interesting they used the same bullet.
First focal plane reticles zoom in and out with the magnification. This is useful for ranging targets with hash marks and math. It's also useful because no matter what magnification you're at, the hold overs are the same value for wind and elevation.

Second focal plane is most useful for 600yds+ target shooting. The reticle always stays crisp and doesn't change. This is the type of scope most people are familiar with.

Rifle intention dictates what you should use. If you may be going after moving targets (varmit, deer, etc.) I like the FFP. If all you're doing is bench shooting I prefer the SFP.

You can do both with either type but one is easier for different things. I like to use hold overs instead of dialing turrets, so I tend to gravitate towards FFP.
Old 05-25-2013   #676
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post

I would be down for about 5pm on Sat. I get done with work at 4:30 and need to break in my 9mm still!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #677
AJ
Area code 166 represent

I may be free as well JET, kinda depends on how far along I am with class work.
Old 05-28-2013   #678
asshanson
immune from paybans

Quote:
First focal plane reticles zoom in and out with the magnification. This is useful for ranging targets with hash marks and math. It's also useful because no matter what magnification you're at, the hold overs are the same value for wind and elevation.
Thanks, that is cool. I've never had a nice scope before, so I'm not used to high end features or good glass. Having the MOA marks always be accurate will be nice for ranging targets more quickly.

I'm actually thinking about the 4-16x now instead of the 6-24x. I'm not going to be shooting over 400yds very often, and even at 1000yds the 16x zoom would be like shooting at 60yds with no zoom which isn't bad at all.

I was home this weekend and was talking with my dad about scopes, The Vortex Viper FFP was his second choice, he ended up going with an IOR Valdada FFP because he could get one in 42mm instead of the 50mm. He wanted a lower center because he doesn't have an adjustable cheekrest and thought the 50mm would be a little too high up. The only problem is it's in MRAD instead of MOA. Not a big deal but not second nature to think in metric.
Old 05-28-2013   #679
blackawdtsi

IOR Valdada scopes are also really nice. They're a bit heavy but use the same glass as Zeiss so the clarity is amazing.

I like Mils / MRAD much more than MOA. Since everything is multiplied or divided by 10s, it makes the math much simpler.
Old 07-28-2013   #680
Murlo26

Impulse buy today! Kind of...going to be my carry gun eventually.

It's a Walther PPQ M2 9mm...it felt so good when I picked it up I had to buy it. Got 350rds of 9mm with it too so I will go run 100-200 through it to break it in.