MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 07-14-2008   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question XTD Stage 4 clutch (opinions needed)

Hello everyone.

Does anyone have first hand experience with XTD clutches? Are they any good. I've read alot of good comments about them and of course like anything else, some bad. My SouthBend took a shit over the weekend. It won't go into any gear unless the car is off. Slave & Master are good. Slave has full travel on the rod. My guess is the pressure plate is shot and won't disengage. And this happened not even screwing around. I'll probably never race again so I'm not spending another $450 on a race clutch. I can throw a stocker in for about $150 and hope she never slips. Or something like what's in the link below to have piece of mind and still be on a budget. It says they hold 545hp. Even if that was BS and they held 400hp or so, I'd be happy. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-S...spagenameZWDVW
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: XTD Stage 4 clutch (opinions needed)

Do it. I'm sure its the same thing as a lot of the brand name clutches only painted a different color. I have my suspicions as to which brand name clutches its identical to.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #3
Onefast99gsx

Thanks for the post Kracka. I'm with you. I also tend not to following what many people say. People told me not to buy cheap Wanli tires off ebay for use at the track. Well I cut a 1.64 60' with those $200 Wanli tires that I bought. My 1st clutch was a ACT 2600 and that shit out too. So it's not like the name brand of clutches are bullet proof.

It says it's a 2300lb PP which if I remember is about the same as my SouthBend DXD. I have a '99 GSX which I don't want alot of pressure anyways like a 2600 or 2900.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2008   #4
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

I have the stage 4 kit, but had them substitute the stage 3 disk (only difference is it's sprung). I have somewhere around 15k on it. So far it's held well, though I haven't pushed it anywhere near it's limits. I had it out recently and noticed some grooves worn in the fingers of the pressure plate. The friction surface may be a little more worn than I'd like, but that was just me eyeballing it. Didn't measure or anything.

FYI, I was running with my tranny loose from the block for a little while (I was unaware) and the clutch put up with that abuse.It's possible that explains the unusual finger wear.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #5
Onefast99gsx

Hello xvegan- I appreciate the 1st hand experience info on this. Yes, the slop in the motor to tranny would probably cause unecessary wear on the plate fingers. Looks like the Stage 3 setup is good for around 350hp. When I ran my best time of 11.97 I was probably around 400hp. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want a stage 4 disc? I guess what exactly does a sprung vs. unsprug disc do? I'd prefer the stage 4 for the same price unless the lack of springs is gonna make it be a bitch to drive especially in the city.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008   #6
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

My understanding is an unsprung disc will be less forgiving on the street. The springs give you a little lee way with slipping the clutch, which is better fro street driving (VS dumping it at the track). Even my sprung disc is pretty "grabby" since it is a 6-puck.

The power potential is why I went with the stage 3/4 mix. I believe stages 1-3 are all near stock pressure plates, but the stage 4 is 2,300lbs. I think it gives you good power holding while keeping a little more streetability. They did not charge me any extra to mix and match.
Old 07-14-2008   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I would do the sprung hub since its a street car.
Old 07-14-2008   #8
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

definitly go sprung, an unsprung disc (especially if its a puck) will be a bitch on the streets, and will beat up the crank over time.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #9
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

I have an XTD Stage 2 clutch and pp. I love it so far, no slipping at all and I don't treat it nice.

Go for it. Good clutch for a good price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #10
Onefast99gsx

Thanks guys for the quick information. I will request a sprung disc even it's only good for 350hp. To tell you the truth when I ran a 11.97 I was running a boost level & horsepower # that I won't hit 99% time that I drive it daily.

xvegan- So does this end up being a stage 4 pressure plate and Stage 3 disc. Or is this whole thing a Stage 3 kit period? Are the PP's the same for both?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

From how he worded it, sounds like a Stage 4 PP and Stage 3 disc.
Old 07-14-2008   #12
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Not a bad price. I'd definately go with the sprung disc as well. I used to have a cheap ebay clutch on my car a long time ago with my 50 trim setup. It was called "pro clutch". Just a standard sprung 6-puck setup, held just fine at 280HP on LSE's dyno.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #13
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'm really tempted to try an eBay clutch on my car when the stock clutch goes out.
Old 07-14-2008   #14
Onefast99gsx

Well guys i'm gonna go for it tomorrow morning. There's an 800 number on the ebay ad so I'm just gonna go around ebay and order it direct and speak to the sales guy to order the combo. I'll see if I can get a HP number on what the stage 3/4 setup is good to.

I generally have pretty good luck on ebay stuff. People told me not to buy ebay HID headlights kits. I paid $175 for mine a year ago and they're still perfectly fine.
Old 07-14-2008   #15
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Clutchs are rated for torque at the flywheel normally, not hp.
Old 07-14-2008   #16
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx View Post
xvegan- So does this end up being a stage 4 pressure plate and Stage 3 disc. Or is this whole thing a Stage 3 kit period? Are the PP's the same for both?

I ordered it as the stage 4 kit, but requested the stage 3 disc. I would guess the friction material is the same for the sprung and unsprung disc so the power holding capabilities should be similar which ever disc you use. The big difference is the pressure plate. That's where your holding power difference comes from between stage 3 and 4. So go with the stage 4 pressure plate and stage 3 disc for the best of both worlds. (holding power and streetability)