MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-14-2012   #1
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
First Evo X Stock ECU w/ Speed Density

Made this thread over on EvoM and figured I would post it here too. I am liking that more and more tuning abilities are coming on the X. Hopefully it will catch up to the 8/9 or surpass it sometime soon Also I had 3 posts over there on this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...ne-i-know.html

It really should say MAFless or something as Evo X's use speed density in conjunction with the MAF on the X's. They then compare both readings of load and use the lower (?) I believe.

I spoke with Tephra about doing speed density and he saw no reason on the X. So I am curious to know what the boys at Cobb (I assume Cobb as its one of their tuners posting it) think going just SD is going to accomplish. However, Tephra is essentially Cobb employed so maybe he cooked this up.

To my understanding the MAF is a restriction on 8/9's but isn't really on the X's with the X having hotwire and being able to go to a bigger intake.

I am all for doing it if its worth it.

What does everyone else think?

Ok, found some more info on EvoXforums here:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60395

Here is what Jon from Cobb says:
The maf isn't a restriction really. Since the maf stays in still for intake temps.
Large maf housings are not great and cause turbulence, which then skews the maf reading resulting in jagged load reading. Load is the basis for fueling and timing vs rpm. The smoother the load the smoother the car/timing/fuel/etc

And then Tephra:
yeh its not totally maf-less - it just removes the MAF from the load/fuel/timing calcs

So they keep the MAF in there I guess for IAT. I would love a rock solid idle, mine isn't horrible at all, but this would probably remove any shittiness.

Here is a nice pic...you can see with the 3.5" MAF tube which most of us built motor guys end up with how jagged the MAF gets down low. But this shows when it ignores the MAF and uses just the MAP signal...its smooth as butter.

Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: First Evo X Stock ECU w/ Speed Density

meh. idk, its neat but I'm with tephra, really not needed. It's cool that they removed some of the MAF from the load calculations as a tuning option I guess, probably worth trying.

Hrm, kinda excited to play with this some day, could be kinda fun when I max out my 3.5" maf
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #3
Murlo26

I would've agreed with you, but after seeing the above pic and how rough the MAF signal can get down low I am guessing this is a very good thing. My car will idle pretty consistent for a while then blip and get a little out of whack and then go back to consistent, then repeat the cycle while idling for a long time.

Also coming to a stop I have had issues before.

It could be your cams are just that much smoother than GSC s2's and your idle could feel better. If its easy enough to do and helps the car smooth out a bit I am for this. But we will see how it pans out. Still early in the process.
Old 03-14-2012   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The MAF isn't a restriction on the Evo 8/9, it's main problem is that it can only read so high and you can't just move to a bigger pipe like the Evo X. Other cars like Mustangs and Subarus that have the same style MAF as an EVO X have the same flaky readings, idle problems, bucking at part throttle, etc when they goto big MAF pipes too.
Old 03-14-2012   #5
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

How much time and effort to people put into proper maf scaling when they change pipe size? When I monkey with cars that have a "cold air intake" I have to spend a lot of time monkeying with that maf transfer.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Half of the tuning time on some cars is getting the MAF scaling dialed in and doing what it is supposed to.
Old 03-16-2012   #7
Murlo26

With something as jagged as the above MAF reading, I don't know how you could even get that buttery smooth. I am guessing mine looks like that (the above is a 3.5" intake just like mine).