View Poll Results: Pump & meth or E85
Pump & Meth 2 5.00%
E85 38 95.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2009   #21
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7
Re: Pump & meth vs. E85

The best mileage I've got on E85 was 23, the best on gas was between 25 & 26. Even in town I only lose a couple MPG's. I save like $10 per tank, and only lose a couple MPG's, I'm still saving money while making the most HP. I was running the stock o2 on gas, and was running my LC1 for closed loop when I got my best E85 mileage of 23, and it was set for around 11.5:1 (17.25:1 gas equiv AFR) and I was still using the 95 EPROM ECU at the time.

I've been running E85 for a few years in my DSM's and I've never noticed a difference in AFR's throughout the year, and I drive mine all through winter too. If you run closed loop it shouldn't change as open loop uses the high fuel trim (even though loggers don't show it that way), at least on 1g's and 2g's. I'm running full open loop now and I still don't see a difference, even though I'm sure the gas percentage has went up. One of these day's I'll test the fuel to see for sure.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #22
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

At 370 stations serving E85, Minnesota has the largest capacity in the nation by far. I Recommend you take advantage of it... while you can.

I use my DSM only for personal entertainment. It is running on a stand alone in open loop only (~11.5 afr, 25* timing) I get 14 mpg with a heavy throttle and small turbo. At the same AFR, just cursing to Duluth, a few triple digit bursts here and there, I got 18 MPG. I am sure if I lean it out and increase the timing at cruising, I could do mid 20's (AWD). I haven't tried DD e85 though, so it might be a PITA scheduling fillups.
Old 11-24-2009   #23
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Thanks for the insight guys a good thread here, a lot better posts.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #24
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

I voted E85. I love it and will never go back to pump gas as long as its available.

I almost always fill up at the same station on my way home from work. Ive never had a problem with my injectors gumming up since my station has a new e85 tank. The gumming problem usually only happensif you fill at a station that uses a storage tank that was used for gasoline before E85.

The lower cost of E85 will make up for your loss in fuel milage. The only downfall would be the availiblity and cold starting Isues. If your tune is conservitive you shouldnt need to retune mutch between the blends. You also have to factor in the added cost of a good meth kit and the meth its self.
Old 11-24-2009   #25
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

I would say just stay with e85 since you have the holiday just down the road from you and there are a few other ones in the blaine/coon rapids area. I love the extra power with e85
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #26
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Shane will be converting me to E85 on Monday.

I originally planned to go with meth but after looking into it, I decided that I wasn't comfortable with the safety level (at least on the X since it doesn't have ECU map switching yet). If anything goes wrong then it's all up to your failsafes to keep you from losing the motor. E85 doesn't have that (rather large) caveat and it's a lot less complex.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #27
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Well after driving home from OK (14hrs each way), I have decided that yes I will keep E85 when I get home, but just have a pump tune.
Esp. now that link has switchable maps (they have had it for a while, i just found out about 2 months ago)

thanks for the helpful words.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #28
deadeye

Drives: 95 TSi AWD POS

I got to say thanks for posting that thread. I have been on the fence about what I should do with my car and its appearing that E85 is the way to go.

I am thinking when I get the Flash ecu for my talon this spring E85 is what its going to get set up for. Should be pretty sweet.

Last edited by deadeye; 12-01-2009 at 04:54 PM..
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #29
Fran05

Drives: DSM

One obvious con of pump+meth: What if meth injection fail right in the middle of the pull? Just those split seconds of knock can be devastating.

E85 will never fail like that. If injectors get dirty/gummed up, it will be slow and gradually, you will feel the difference.
E85 is magical. It burns so much cooler. It is cheap, smells better than gas too I was able to get away with 23* of timing with 11.5-12.0 AFR's with stock SMIC, heatsoaking through the gears in 90*F day. NO KNOCK.
Fran05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #30
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran05 View Post
One obvious con of pump+meth: What if meth injection fail right in the middle of the pull? Just those split seconds of knock can be devastating.
With the proper setup the system is failsafe and fool proof. Scheides has his meth injection system dialed in to be as safe as possible aside from a severe malfunction.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #31
Forced Fed
Banned

Drives: FS-T

I keep it simple and stick to just BP 92, maybe someday if I go to something else it would be E85 because I only like to fill up one tank . Just sucks to have to worry about the change in the grade of the E85 through the seasons.

Last edited by Forced Fed; 12-01-2009 at 09:23 PM..
Forced Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #32
Owned
Banned

Drives: 2g

is there a write up on a meth injection for a DSM?
Owned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #33
scheides
flips McGee

Yea, pretty much any thread with Evo info is applicable to a dsm. Do some research and then start a thread with any questions you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #34
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing

Personally, I have never ran meth. But the idea of just filling up your tank with e85 sounds a lot better than having to fill up both your fuel and meth tank. And, like many others who have posted I am weary of the "what-if's" associated with meth injection. I think it all comes down to where and how you will be using the car. I can see both being viable options.