MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 01-09-2007   #21
CDeutsch

Re: Kirkey racing seats. Streetable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black97civic View Post
Well, that harness issue is true with any seat and I don't plan on running 4/5 point harnesses for a while.
Yep, but with the seat you posted you'd be F'd with a factory belt as well with those bolsters.
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #22
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeutsch View Post
Yep, but with the seat you posted you'd be F'd with a factory belt as well with those bolsters.
Not in a quest, it would just take a while to thread the belt through the little holes near the bottom.

I like those DAD seats. 2 in buckskin, please!
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #23
CDeutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
Not in a quest, it would just take a while to thread the belt through the little holes near the bottom.

I like those DAD seats. 2 in buckskin, please!
I think you missed my point. In an accident you need to be able to slide to the side if the roof crushes in on you. You can't do that with those bolsters and a factory belt, and you can't do it with a 4-5point harness with any seat.
Old 01-09-2007   #24
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I know that, I was responding to the belt-working issue you said, I should have said that when i responded.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #25
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Again, only what I've "heard" but those DAD seats are basically Sparco's. The frame and everything is the same. But It'd be interesting to see for sure, since that is only hear-say. Steve you willing to cut up your Sparco's to compare?

And Corbeau's I've always thought were decent too. Research up a little on them before knocking them as cheap and brittle crap.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #26
CDeutsch

If you have questions and don't want to buy junk, go here:
http://www.apexspg.com/

He's local and he knows his stuff and he's a really nice guy.
Old 01-09-2007   #27
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!

I rocked that same Kirkey (minus the side bolsters) in my CRX as a daily driver and did a few trips up to Bemidji (3.5-4 hours each way) with it in there. Absolutely very comfortable. The only thing I had to do for long trips was put a small amount of foam under my butt. As far as the belt, I unbolted mine from the floor and passed it through the left side hole and then bolted it back down to the floor. Then when I sat in it, I put the buckle through the right hole.

As far as the roof collapsing in a roll, the back of the seat is higher than your head. It will take a good amount of force to buckle the top. Of course mine doesn't have the large bolsters like that. That back is also a hell of a whiplash saver as well. You're probably ten or more times likely to be hit from behind then you are to roll over. And if you're rolling the car, either A: you're driving absolutely stupid, B: you slipped on ice travelling way too fast causing a spin (again, go back to A in most of these cases, but not all of course) or C: went off the road due to either high speed cornering or a freak part failure on the car. In a daily driver or a weekend crusier, you SHOULDN'T be seeing any of these possibilities except for part failure. I would, however, suggest at least a main hoop with supports if you do put the seat in seeing as it will probably be seeing some spirited driving from time to time and probably a little track time as well.

Of course I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibilities that you could roll over in any kind of accident, just highly unlikely with normal driving.

You would be very surprised at how comfortable that seat is even with the little bit of padding it has. It holds you in all the right spots. I can't speak for the bolsters as I don't have those. I set mine up on sliders with a slight recline. Never had a complaint.

Damnit, all this talk about those seats and now I'm itching to put the CRX back together and drive it rather than sell it off like I'm trying to do.

Incidently, if I do sell it without the seat, I"ll have a seat available for those with narrow butts.

Another option is to set it up with brackets so you can take it out and put the regular seat back in whenever you want to. That way if it's used for more daily driving, you can use your original seat if you don't feel comfortable about crashing. I mean hell, it's only 4 bolts.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote