MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-29-2008   #1
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Transmission Opinions/Advice Wanted

As some know my transmission let go about a week ago mid 3rd gear pull so I'm currently looking at building the transmission. I figure its a perfect excuse to upgrade

Little info on my car and what I use it for. Car made 455 at DB this past fall and kind of hoping for a little more come summer, shooting for 500 but who knows if I'll get it that high. Car isn't exactly my daily driver but I will take it to work/class whenever its nice out and feel like having fun on the way there. I do like to beat on the car and plan on going to the track once or twice so the trans needs to be able to take some abuse. I'd also like to only buy a built tranny once so I was kind of thinking on going all out. It's sad think I could possibly spend more on a trans than I spent on the car, but you gotta pay to play. Right?

I was looking at the TRE stage 2.5 and 3, Shep 3 & 4, and the Jacks premium build.

Does anybody have one of these transmissions or has anybody bought a tranny through one of these 3 companies? I'd like to hear about how well the transmission has held up and satisfied you are with it and how ordering went.

Also is a welded diff really that bad of an idea? I don't ever take u-turns and don't plan on doing an auto x'ing with it, just race it at cedar/rock falls. I also realize it'll suck for parking but I figure that'll just be something I'll get used to like not having an idle motor.

But if it is really that bad of an idea throw out some opinions on the other options.

I'm not really set on anything yet so I'd like to hear some opinions and advice on which one you guys think I should go with.

Thanks in advance
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #2
DSMPARTSGURU
Keeper of the lost toys!

Drives: 1977 pinto,1994 farm truck, 04 4-door mustang
Send a message via MSN to DSMPARTSGURU
Re: Transmission Opinions/Advice Wanted

powerglide? and rear wheel drive conversion an option?
Old 12-29-2008   #3
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I have a Shep stage 3 but only make half the horsepower. Its awesome shifting at redline with no worrys, actually being able to downshift, and having a nice smooth tranny. Car has a 4 spider center diff, double syncro 2nd, "HD 3/4th gear", the stronger Chromoloy forks (option I paid extra for), etc. All the weak points are addressed, but honestly just get a Shep Stage 4, its a few hundred bucks more. I'd also advise against a welded center diff or spool. Get the 4 spider.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #4
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I'm running just a TRE stage 1 with the 4-spider diff option. I never really pushed it yet, but so far I have no complaints. Great guy to deal with. He was very helpful on the phone, and willing to answer any and all of my questions. He threw in some shifter linkages for me as well since my tranny situation was all goofy.

He also didn't charge me a core charge, so I got to keep my old tranny and he just shipped me the rebuilt one. Nice because I only had to pay shipping 1 way.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #5
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

I would get a complete evo3 gearset installed by Jack.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #6
brando

Drives: gutlass
Send a message via AIM to brando Send a message via MSN to brando Send a message via Yahoo to brando

i would do the jacks premium, they have been proven to be more than good enough on more than one high horse street build.
brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I have a Shep stage 3 with billet shift forks also. I am making the same HP you are and it has held up well for 4 years (probably 15k miles). The welded center diff really does suck, get the 4 gear spider. If you want to lock them up going to the track, throw a welded VC on.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #8
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
I have a Shep stage 3 but only make half the horsepower. Its awesome shifting at redline with no worrys, actually being able to downshift, and having a nice smooth tranny. Car has a 4 spider center diff, double syncro 2nd, "HD 3/4th gear", the stronger Chromoloy forks (option I paid extra for), etc. All the weak points are addressed, but honestly just get a Shep Stage 4, its a few hundred bucks more. I'd also advise against a welded center diff or spool. Get the 4 spider.
Sounds like you're really happy with your shep and went all out with it. Thanks for the opinion Keven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I'm running just a TRE stage 1 with the 4-spider diff option. I never really pushed it yet, but so far I have no complaints. Great guy to deal with. He was very helpful on the phone, and willing to answer any and all of my questions. He threw in some shifter linkages for me as well since my tranny situation was all goofy.

He also didn't charge me a core charge, so I got to keep my old tranny and he just shipped me the rebuilt one. Nice because I only had to pay shipping 1 way.
Did you pay extra for no core charge? I'm really leaning towards the tre stage 3 at the moment and everything I've read about tre has been really positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
I would get a complete evo3 gearset installed by Jack.
Jacks premium build comes with evo 3 3rd/4th gear but comes with their own machined double synchro 2nd and 1st and is an extra 380 for an evo 3 1st. With the extra evo 3 first it makes it more expensive than the shep and tre which already have the evo 3 1st.
Any reasoning behind reccomending Jack, what do you have in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
i would do the jacks premium, they have been proven to be more than good enough on more than one high horse street build.
Jack does have a lot of good information on his website and seems everybody has really good things to say about Jack as well. I've still got a lot of more reading to do before I spend so much money on a tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I have a Shep stage 3 with billet shift forks also. I am making the same HP you are and it has held up well for 4 years (probably 15k miles). The welded center diff really does suck, get the 4 gear spider. If you want to lock them up going to the track, throw a welded VC on.
Dang, only 15k in 4 years?! I put 3k'ish miles on my car in the 2 months I drove it and did at least a quick pull to get up to the speed limit every time I drove it

Have you had any problems at all with itl in the 4 years you've had it in the car? Have you always been making as much power as you do now? Also how come you guys went with the steel forks?
According to Jack they really aren't needed with their double synchros
Link

Thanks again for all the opinions and the posts. Really does help the decision process. If anybody else just has good info, please post the links. I always like to do a lot of reading before I blow so much damn money.

Oh yea, anybody have a welded center diff that I could get a ride in and maybe scare me away from it?
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #9
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Oh yea, anybody have a welded center diff that I could get a ride in and maybe scare me away from it?

Talk to Shane, Mara's Talon has a welded diff.