MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-01-2005   #1
scheides
flips McGee

Leaky Transfer Case? Pics...

Ok, Identify that leak #8,784:

more pics here

Damn it, since I bought this damn 2G it's been leak after leak after leak. I've replaced every damn hose in the coolant system, several oil gaskets, and now this. I'm thinking it's the yoke in the rear transfer case, anyone want to second that? The only thing that takes my attention away from that is that there is oil all over the bottom of the tranny. You can see the various wet spots on the ground, one under the transfer case, one under the tranny. I topped up both the tranny and the transfer case with oil just to be sure, and the transfer case was a bit low.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Leaky Transfer Case? Pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides
I'm thinking it's the yoke in the rear transfer case, anyone want to second that? The only thing that takes my attention away from that is that there is oil all over the bottom of the tranny.
Well, I think it is the transfer case (not the rear one :P ). It looks like it is spinning off right by the yoke. There may possibly be a tranny leak too, but it does look like the transfer case is leaking. Is the car modified much? If not, just take it in for the recall.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #3
scheides
flips McGee

Sorry, I meant the rear OF the transfer case!

Will they not cover it if it is too modified? This car has a 6-bolt swap, aftermarket clutch, big fmic setup, maf-t, tail bov, wideband, s-afc, and injectors, and ...well, yea, it's modified. The only redeaming factor might be that it has a small 16g on it (stock appearing). Anyways, why would there be oil dropping off the bottom of the tranny? Maybe with it spinning out of the transfer case it it gets sprayed up on the back of the tranny, and the accumulation on the bottom is just it draining down the side of it?
Old 06-02-2005   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

That could very well be. Who knows how the air swirls under the car. I would probably take your transfer case in to the dealership and see if they will fix it. Then they won't see the mod's.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #5
1ViciousGSX
Admin

A recall is a recall, regardless of mods. They have to do the recall if it applies and hasn't been done yet, per the Federal Gooberment.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #6
desolate
91 TSi AWD

Drives: red 91 TSi AWD auto

Mine leaked forever until I siliconed the yoke before installing it. Let it dry and add fluid. No more leaks period.
desolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolate
Mine leaked forever until I siliconed the yoke before installing it. Let it dry and add fluid. No more leaks period.
That's what the recall fixes, leaking yokes.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 06-02-2005   #8
desolate
91 TSi AWD

Drives: red 91 TSi AWD auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX
That's what the recall fixes, leaking yokes.
yup that is imo the only place it leaks I've done this to 3 dsms now. No more leaks. The only time you'll have to take out the transfer case off the yoke is probably when it blows up from a hard launch or something similar.
desolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #9
scheides
flips McGee

Well, how ironic; mitsu is not going to cover it because I have a 6-bolt in the car.

There's a few different methods listed on vfaq on how to fix this, but I'm thinking I'm just going to yank out the driveshaft and replace the yolk and seal, maybe put some RTV in the yolk like vfaq recommends. Anyone for or against this method?

By the way, three cheers to brookdale mitsu for attempting to take care of this for me. Chris in their parts dept got me replacement parts asap, it their regional manager shot down the recall.
Old 06-09-2005   #10
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides
Well, how ironic; mitsu is not going to cover it because I have a 6-bolt in the car.

There's a few different methods listed on vfaq on how to fix this, but I'm thinking I'm just going to yank out the driveshaft and replace the yolk and seal, maybe put some RTV in the yolk like vfaq recommends. Anyone for or against this method?

By the way, three cheers to brookdale mitsu for attempting to take care of this for me. Chris in their parts dept got me replacement parts asap, it their regional manager shot down the recall.
A dealer and/or a manufacturer cannot refuse to perform a recall on a vehicle unless the part to be repaired per the recall is not original equiptment to the car or the car has been given a scraped/salvage/reconstructed title. If it is your original driveshaft yoke and transfer case, they have to do it per Federal guidelines.

Automobile - Vehicles and Equipment

Phone: 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (327-4236)

Fax: 1-202-366-7882

Write:
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation, NSA-10.01
400 7th Street, SW
Washington, D.C. 20590

On-line complaint form

Auto Dealers

Phone:
1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

Write:
Federal Trade Commission
CRC-240
Washington, D.C. 20580

On-line complaint form

(#Y#)
Old 06-09-2005   #11
1ViciousGSX
Admin

NHTS Administration

(#Y#)