Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Not the point of this turbo at all.
Yes, I realize.
Old 09-29-2009   #22
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance
Re: Damn FP, Kevin u should get his

seen it a few days ago. it is really nice but for the price I would just buy a gt35 or gt40. but that is just me
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #23
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Steve Hill, you need this turbo if you are going to a sleeper 16g setup like you say you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #24
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

the sad part is that its a big evo2 turbo, machined intake, stock exhaust housing, and they sell the damn thing for $925? thats ridiculous!!! you can get a big evo2 turbo, bore it our for a 20g wheel, rebuilt and have a evo3 thick cast exhaust housing for $600 said and done and make more power.

i think this turbo is a cool design but is a huge waste of money and time...

they should be more focused on making a 50trim extended tip fin design so that you can get more top end pull out of it. that would be worth the extra money!
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #25
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude View Post
the sad part is that its a big evo2 turbo, machined intake, stock exhaust housing, and they sell the damn thing for $925? thats ridiculous!!! you can get a big evo2 turbo, bore it our for a 20g wheel, rebuilt and have a evo3 thick cast exhaust housing for $600 said and done and make more power.

i think this turbo is a cool design but is a huge waste of money and time...

they should be more focused on making a 50trim extended tip fin design so that you can get more top end pull out of it. that would be worth the extra money!
Waste of time? Why, all the customer has to do is hit buy it now and it is theirs... If a normal person was looking into something like this, they probably wouldnt know about the turbo upgrades you just stated. Plus it is a billet wheel, lets see you get a billet 20g wheel in there for the $600 you stated.

On top of that, the normal person looking at this turbo wouldnt want to try to find a turbo, then have to find someone to machine the intake housing, find a 20g wheel, have the turbo rebuilt/balanced before they get the turbo. I personally think that is more of a waste of time.

In my opinion... Billet > all else

You are missing a point here, not only do you make quite a bit more power than an average 16g will give you AND you get faster spool/power than an average 16g as well. How can you go wrong if you are in the market for a turbo a little larger than a 16g but want something with the spool of a 14b/s16g...
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #26
jhaan_dude

for the average "consumer" i could understand, but with the awesome community here im sure that the average person would not have a hard time getting one made..*wink* *wink*...

if you wanna get a billet wheel thats cool, but you can also have titanium wheels (intake and exhaust) ordered and it would cost almost the same! not to mention they spool even faster! like i said, i just cannot see this being that good for $925...

Last edited by jhaan_dude; 09-30-2009 at 01:20 AM..
Old 09-30-2009   #27
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Quote:
for the average "consumer" i could understand, but with the awesome community here im sure that the average person would not have a hard time getting one made..*wink* *wink*...

if you wanna get a billet wheel thats cool, but you can also have titanium wheels (intake and exhaust) ordered and it would cost almost the same! not to mention they spool even faster! like i said, i just cannot see this being that good for $925...
Just stop talking.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #28
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Quote:

Some people like quality stuff, not half-assed junk.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #29
jhaan_dude

wow superbleeder that was very rude, and btw fp used to offer titanium wheels that were a hell of alot cheaper than what they offer now. i wouldnt consider it half assed junk because they used to sell and create it!

so before anybody come up with anymore "stupid" comments about what i say, maybe you should call them because they have been doing what i do for alot longer and its still the same!

and kevin define quality of a shitty billet aluminum wheel vs. a billet machined titanium one? same diagram they are being made for but the titanium wheels take 30 times more pressure before failure.

its amazing that when somebody posts up knowledge about a part and describes why it would be better, people who have no idea how they are made, or even how they are test, open up and shoot other people down who have been there and test hundreds of ideas to come to the same conclusions and results!
Old 09-30-2009   #30
jhaan_dude

this article talks about all the "stock" evo turbos that came with titanium aluminide wheels, not full titanium but you get the gist, and an article from Borg Warner talking about versatility in motors

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...iants-20g.html

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/product...Impellers.aspx
Old 09-30-2009   #31
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^I can honestly say that I am interested in the knowledge u have sir, please send me a pm and thank u for the links i will try to read them soon.

Back OT. As i stated it has the usual FP price tag, but as i also said the customer is usually extremely pleased with it.
I can say that if this was out when i got rid of my 16G i might of got this thing considering how ginormous the HX35 is.
We are posting about this on link hopefully they jump on there and chime in, if not curt brown is on there hinting about one for his DD he said he could make 520-550 on it.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #32
Jaei Sun
4G63 X 2 = 8G63

Drives: 06 EVO, 92 TSi AWD

Is anyone on the Link forums (or any other for that matter) running one of these bad boys yet?
Jaei Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #33
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

No not yet
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #34
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

If I had a spare $1K laying around I'd be all over this.

Looks like a good roadrace turbo.

As far as it being expensive. When I bought my old ported/clipped Big 16G/34mm gate from TRE back in the day it was 900+ brand new. That was back in around 2000 when a 20G was considered almost unstreetable

Last edited by 1QUICK4; 09-30-2009 at 10:32 AM..
1QUICK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #35
scheides
flips McGee

So jhaan_dude, sounds like you have found your way (or are on your way) to being on the 'inside' of the turbo parts community that is cloaked in secrecy these days. If you have the ability to produce these sleeper 16g turbos and other such things, that's awesome. Start a business and do it, way cool They DO have a billet 50-trim setup, but it's based on the new-gen gt3076. That turbo by itself is nothing spectacular, but the HTA3076 is the same wheel that's in the FP evo red and is quite a performer.

The on topic turbo in this thread, the hta68 (hta16g if you will) this is a dream come true. I had SBR's bastard20g and loved it, but always loved the responsiveness of the small16g I had on the car prior to that. I got about 280whp @24psi w/ simple AFC tuning, stock cams, and a little bit of 111 mixed in the tank. 300whp@27psi (on LSE's DD dyno). I'd be willing to bet that a well setup DSM with a basic FMIC, hks272's, this turbo, and dsmlink would do 260-280whp w/o pushing the setup too hard on pump gas. Guess what, we're in 50-trim and gt3076 (kevin) territory on a stock-appearing turbo with the transient response and boost threshold of a 14b or s16g.

That my friends is HUGE. The powerband alone (3000-7000) would make anyone grin and the peak numbers are not too shabby....and while the power may not be 400whp, I'd be willing to bet that anyone willing to make the switch to E85 (lots of dsm'ers these days) or make the investment in an alky kit would see nearly that (400) pretty easily with the right setup. Shane tuned a 'regular' evo3 16g car to 350whp last summer with E85 IIRC.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #36
scheides
flips McGee

Also, until we see some legit dyno numbers with info on the parts setup and tuning to keep it in perspective, this turbo is nothing but a 'what if' for me. It would be cool if it did all of the stuff I said above, but hey, it might suck.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #37
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Shane tuned a 'regular' evo3 16g car to 350whp last summer with E85 IIRC.
and 360 TQ !

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #38
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I wouldn't mind a billet Ti alloy wheel over a billet Al wheel.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #39
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
Some people like quality stuff, not half-assed junk.
I agree with kevin on this, I would take quality over cheapness anyday. I think you dsm guys are pretty lucky to be able to get a nice BRAND NEW turbo for under $1000 that just bolts on to your stock manifold. Us evo guys have to spend almost twice as much for a new upgraded turbo (hta green,Fp red, BBK full). I will be looking forward to seeing some dyno numbers on this hta68.
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #40
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Quote:
fp used to offer titanium wheels that were a hell of alot cheaper than what they offer now. i wouldnt consider it half assed junk because they used to sell and create it!
Prove it. Dont show me the TME Evo 6.5 unit, obviously FP didnt make that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude
and kevin define quality of a shitty billet aluminum wheel vs. a billet machined titanium one? same diagram they are being made for but the titanium wheels take 30 times more pressure before failure.
30 times? Did you just pull that number out of the air? commercial grades of titanium are about 50% stronger in tensile than equivalent 6061-t6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude
its amazing that when somebody posts up knowledge about a part and describes why it would be better, people who have no idea how they are made, or even how they are test, open up and shoot other people down who have been there and test hundreds of ideas to come to the same conclusions and results!
i think you've read a lot of forums and now you believe you're some kind of expert. You're oversimplifying a complex device. "oh ya just hog out the housings, throw some old 20g wheels in them, oh and dont forget to include some exotic metals!"
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote