MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 07-17-2011   #1
dsmdion

when do you know it's time to move on.

Well I've been working on my talon, and finally runs good now. It's got a few little issues left, but thats to be expected. The problem isn't doing the maintenence, It's got an all new motor with literally everything replaced E.C.T. The problem is you get these cars that have had 6 different owners, everything hacked up, and everything neglected and now you have never ending problems. When I had my engine apart it had tons of parts that had no business being there. Including a TB Tensioner with a 95 build date on a motor with 169, XXX mile. I worked on cars for a living for awhile, so I know how it goes, but man lol.

I may or may not sell it, I don't know yet. It really depends on how it goes the rest of the summer. It's really only had some little things ( and a couple big things) to sort out, so it's not too bad. If I have to replace a slew of other shit though it will probably be gone. It might be time for a newer car. It may be more expensive to mod and own, but it would be worth it in the end. It's one thing if It's little fixes, but it really makes no sense to keep pouring money into a car just to make it run right cause of the idiots before hand. It's not a race car or anything, It's a DD, and if it was anything else other than a DSM It would be gone lol

I'm Just getting tired I guess (never thought I'd say that ablout DSMs lol). I've had like 5-6 DSMs. I'm tired of most DSM owners, I tired of the cheapness, I'm tired of the Idiots, I'm tired of the dick head vendors, (MAP FTMFW I'll never buy anything from anyone else except MAP and extreme PSI ever again) I'm tired of having to dump loads of cash in these cars not because they are bad, cause they aren't, but because of all the Idiots who owned them before me, and now I have to go back and redo all the shit they refused to do right.

In the past I was ok with this, in the past it was "The cost of doing business" lol. but I'm sick of it now, and that's why it may be time to change things up, cause my atitude about it has changed. Ill see how it runs for now, cause It seems to be decently sorted out and runs strong except for a couple little things, so we will see.

Thing is, I got a new job making not quite but almost double the money I mad in automotive, I'm getting married in a year and a month or so, so maybe it's time to just make a change in the car category to. IDK lol,

Do I

Man Up, Keep the Talon, It's a built 2.3 built head, (otherwise stock except for 3" TBE air filter, and a 14B), Sort it out, DD it sometimes, track it sometimes.

Sell it and save up for an Evo 9 that I want.

Keep it and just Race it E.C.T and don't use it for much else

Those are my options as of now.

I don't want to sell it, buuuuut... lol. Do I have a valid point, or am I just Bitching out haha, IDK. Everyone in my family is like sell it, we hate it, my fiance is like I hate it, sell it, but... I can't.. I can't do it, not yet. but maybe after 6 years or so and 5-6 cars it is really time to move on.
dsmdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #2
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol
Re: when do you know it's time to move on.

I feel you pain. I bought my talon 2 years ago and it has been the biggest headache. In the 2 years I have owned I manage to get 180 miles on it. And most of it is from this year. The car was a total hack job. Wire harness was cut and chopped. I have put three trannys in it and one motor. but now the car runs great and is a total blast. Iam happy I stuck with it. I still have a ways to go to get what I want out of it. I say stick with it and decide what you want out of it.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #3
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Your car's barely even modded and you're already b!tching?

If you made any kind of power, you'd probably be on your knees by now. I'm not trying to sound condescending but I probably am. All I'm trying to say is with more power comes more crap breaking. If you can't handle the pre-existing problems, I wouldn't even try for more than stock power.

If I had the option I'd get an Evo in a heartbeat. Everything's more expensive than DSMs. But just wait. All it is, is a DSM with a pretty coat on. Prices will drop, all of them will be shitty and the circle will complete itself.

Even though I just got back into DSMs a month? ago. I've already found out how hard it is to find stuff that use to be really easy. Seems like these days you have to buy Eagle cranks because you can't find a used uncut OEM anymore. They use to be $50 and eaten like candy before I took my DSM break. Same with blocks and trans. $100 for each of those but now I can't even find one. Might as well own an Evo.

However the flip side is you think cheap highschool DSMers are bad? Take a look at the evom board. Everyone's 30-40 years old and has a giant head. If someone's wrong you're flamed to Cuba.

Last edited by blackawdtsi; 07-17-2011 at 04:50 PM..
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #4
dsmdion

Yeah I mean it's practically sorted out so far (atleast I think haha) It drives real strong now, It's just taken alot out of me, more than any DSM ever has. It was such a hack job with alot of stuff It just kind of makes me wonder...
Old 07-17-2011   #5
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmdion View Post
Yeah I mean it's practically sorted out so far (atleast I think haha) It drives real strong now, It's just taken alot out of me, more than any DSM ever has. It was such a hack job with alot of stuff It just kind of makes me wonder...
That's the fun of DSMs.

You don't know when anything will give out. I use to hate when I'd break an axle or something would die at Midway or wherever. But you know what it did? Created memories. With my friends. Ex-gfs. My now wife. Random people I'd ask to hold something or borrow a phone. This is what DSMs are. I love them. Embrace it.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #6
dsmdion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawdtsi View Post
Your car's barely even modded and you're already b!tching?

If you made any kind of power, you'd probably be on your knees by now. I'm not trying to sound condescending but I probably am. All I'm trying to say is with more power comes more crap breaking. If you can't handle the pre-existing problems, I wouldn't even try for more than stock power.

If I had the option I'd get an Evo in a heartbeat. Everything's more expensive than DSMs. But just wait. All it is, is a DSM with a pretty coat on. Prices will drop, all of them will be shitty and the circle will complete itself.

Even though I just got back into DSMs a month? ago. I've already found out how hard it is to find stuff that use to be really easy. Seems like these days you have to buy Eagle cranks because you can't find a used uncut OEM anymore. They use to be $50 and eaten like candy before I took my DSM break. Same with blocks and trans. $100 for each of those but now I can't even find one. Might as well own an Evo.

However the flip side is you think cheap highschool DSMers are bad? Take a look at the evom board. Everyone's 30-40 years old and has a giant head. If someone's wrong you're flamed to Cuba.

It's not really about "Making power" though. I've owned a powerful DSM, and so have many of my friends, I know all about cars breaking with more power, It's not exactly rocket science lol. And If the car was making alot of power it would be understadable. But it's the hackjob stuff thats annoying

Yeah Ive driven Evos before, and dressed up or not, most of the 9s I'd look at would have 40-50k So it's just less wear and tear, and It would be easier to find one that isn't hacked to death, so I wouldn't have to redo everyone elses stuff. And the fact that they will become shitty is a reason in itself to get one now lol.

Yeah I agree some evo guys have giant heads, and so do alot of DSM guys and a slew of other people.

Last edited by dsmdion; 07-17-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Old 07-17-2011   #7
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

I'm too lazy to read everything, but I feel like just about every dsm owner has had similar feelings of love/hate with their cars. I didn't want to sell my gsx back in the day, and I'm not sure if it was a good choice to do so or not, but the point is life goes on. It's just a car man and as soon as it starts to takeover your life I say move on.

p.s. there are so many of these threads that we could almost have a subforum for them all haha.
Old 07-17-2011   #8
dsmdion

The DSM shit has taken over my life for like the past 5 years or so. If I'm not working on one I researching things, or just browsing the forums to see what other people are up too. I was just obsessed with em lol. The main thing is the car had alot of hacked up shit done to it, so I always have that "whats next" feeling VS the other DSMs I've owned that I knew were fine.

EDIT: I think Brian is on too something also. Maybe it's just that the talon has just consumed my life between Fixing one hack job after another and I'm just kind of burnt out fixing the hack shit fr the past 2 years. Maybe It would be best If I just drove it how it is for awhile (basically Stock) so I don't have to mess with anything on it for awhile lol.

Last edited by dsmdion; 07-17-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-17-2011   #9
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

It's one of those things, you're getting sick of the car you've got, you're contemplating greener pastures... Honestly if you're getting married, there's always the family side of things to consider, and that's always when you see people dumping the DSMs. Starting to look at Evo IXs like you mentioned is probably a good thing to consider. In the end though, it's up to you what you want to do. Do I miss my old 2G? Of course. Do I look at the driveway and ever wish it was still there in place of my Evo? Not for a second. Between mods and maintenance, I've got less than half into my Evo over the last year and a few odd months than I had into my Talon inside the first year. It's a million times more practical and a ton more fun when you can drive longer periods between jackstand appointments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #10
scheides
flips McGee

When I bought my evo8 I honestly was super pumped to keep my 2G and have both. For a while the evo was MUCH more fun, it was plenty reliable, fast, fun, and basic (and the AC worked!). Just remember, the grass is always greener as they say. It wasn't too long before I had HG issues and was just dumping more and more money into it, all in the name of making it faster. Clutch, brakes, tires, it wasn't long before I realized I had just bought a more expensive DSM.

Go with what makes you happy, finance as absolutely little as possible (yes that includes credit cards), and just do what it takes to be happy. If it means rebuilding and rebuilding the dsm then don't give up! If it means fixing it to get it to an acceptable level and then selling it, so be it. If it means simply parting it out and putting all of the money towards an evo, that's cool too
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #11
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Not trying to sound like a dick, but it sounds like you got yourself into the situation you're in. It sounds like you bought a car with a lot of issues that you maybe weren't expecting to find? Maybe just inspect the car better before you commit to buying it, and don't buy one that 6 different people have hacked apart.
Old 07-17-2011   #12
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Like most people have been saying, evos are just more expensive dsm's. I sold my my 2g and parted out my other to get an evo and although it is fun I miss going fast. If you're looking for a 300awhp at db and will be happy, an evo is deffinetly the way to go. If you want to go fast keep the dsm and get a nice daily that you wont want to mess with. I've had a ton of stressful nights since having the evo and it being my only good way to get to work. I miss pushing the limits and knowing whatever happens as long as I get home I'll have a way to get to work the next day. You have to decide what you really want and just go with it.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #13
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

for me ive had 1 solid DSM. its been great anything and everything has happened with this car. Most of my close friends, ive meet because of my car or their car or car stuff in general. A lot of the events or activities i go to is because of my dsm. it runs good now, havnt driven it much lately (been getting into bikes), but i still hold onto it.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #14
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I love DSMs. There are more sketchy people though.

IF you do sell, partouts are usually the best way if you have a lot of money into it.

Good luck.

I'd take an evo 9, if you can get one then I'd sell and wait a year or however long.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #15
dsmdion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 1G Drummer View Post
Not trying to sound like a dick, but it sounds like you got yourself into the situation you're in. It sounds like you bought a car with a lot of issues that you maybe weren't expecting to find? Maybe just inspect the car better before you commit to buying it, and don't buy one that 6 different people have hacked apart.
My buddy bought the car, and it blew up on his way home haha, I figured well it's just a shit motor, no biggie. I bought the car non running, and there wasn't to much to inspect other than when tearing it apart. Of course having a non running car to start with I knew it would cost money so it was kind of whatever.

Problem was most of the stuff that was wrong was in the engine itself, but again knowing that it blew up on my buddies drive home it was kind of a red flag. Although I like to replace everything so i would have done that anyway. I don't know if 6 people owned it haha but it's a DSM so who knows.

Last edited by dsmdion; 07-17-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Old 07-17-2011   #16
dsmdion

I think Ill end up keeping the talon and, and get an Evo 9 or 10 later after the wedding and whatnot.

So Evos are kind of just more expensive DSMs. Everyone kind of acts like they are the holy grail. Obviously they are an upgraded to from a DSM, but I wasn't sure how much better they actually were. I'd be content with a stock turbo Evo 9 or 10, but I'd prolly be happier with having my 1G DD and my 2G talon that I can mod the piss out of.
Old 07-17-2011   #17
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST

When I can find and evo for $2-3000 dollars I will get one, until that time I'm sticking with my DSM. They are cheap to buy, are just as powerful as an evo if not better, And 1g's are now collectors and might be a classic some day considering everyone is crushing so many of them. It's the hot rod of our generation, turbo cars kick ass! And when a car is older then a few people in this forum you have to imagine your going to have to replace everything, it's like someone buying a car with over 150k, your going to have to replace stuff and if you don't your an idiot.
Old 07-17-2011   #18
dsmdion

Yeah I think I've fixed up so many now, that I want a car I don't have to mess with when it comes to that. But now that I've replaced all that shit on the talon, It may be worth just keeping at this point, and buying something newer later down the road.
Old 07-17-2011   #19
Onefast99gsx

I'm 41 now . Its time to move on. Been doing DSM's since 2001. Achieved my 11 second goal. Just sold my 99 GSX on Friday(the one that's in the classifieds here). Half the people that build modded DSM's use all their big HP when? Dyno sessions? Had fun in the last 10 years but would never mod a car again. Trading my 09 Pontiac g6 in and getting the 2012 Chevy Cruz ltz rs. 38mpg.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #20
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

I don't think I will ever move away from modifying a vehicle. It's in our blood now that the boost bug or modifying bug bit us. I always think about moving on but once you start talking to your friends about cars, it just makes you want to build your car faster and better. BUT, if I were beginning to get settled down (married+kids), obviously, the cars will come second or third. It really depends on the situation but no matter what, the boost bug bit me and I'm forever infected by it. Even when my car is down too.