Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 11-19-2008   #21
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest
Re: AMS Drag car pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63tcrazy View Post
It's sequential, smaller turbo to help spool up the bigger turbo. Which in their case was needed. haha
No, in that setup, the small turbo would not help spool the big one very much at all, it is there mostly just for lower end power. Those big blocks in the exhaust and intake of the big turbo are doors/valves that open up once the big turbo is ready to spool or the small turbo has already spooled. The waste gates vent to atmosphere.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #22
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

^^^ Correcto. I'm curious if the way they had it set up would actually spool the little guy at any decent rate

Last edited by b00stcreep21; 11-19-2008 at 09:25 PM..
b00stcreep21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #23
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
No, in that setup, the small turbo would not help spool the big one very much at all, it is there mostly just for lower end power. Those big blocks in the exhaust and intake of the big turbo are doors/valves that open up once the big turbo is ready to spool or the small turbo has already spooled. The waste gates vent to atmosphere.
If that is the case then tell me why the output of the small turbo is fed directly into the larger turbo. The gate in front of the large turbo must close so that the small turbo can pressurize the large turbo, then once the large turbo spools, the gate in its intake opens so it can suck in more air. I am sure it would take a lot of messing around to get the timing of all those gates right.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #24
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Fatty might be right for once. The large turbo is fed the full exhaust stream and the smaller turbo is being fed from the exhaust after passing through the hotside of the bigger turbo with a gate just after that. So I'm guessing the gate is closed building pressure in the exhaust and spooling the little turbo which creates a ram air effect into the intake side of larger turbo and once the larger turbo starts making a predetermined amount of boost, the exhaust gate is opened which stops the smaller turbo from making boost and becoming a restriction.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #25
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Jet, you kindof answered the question yourself. It goes into the intake of the large one, but to be effective it needs the intake gate closed. It does help the large turbo spool somewhat, I'm sure, but I think it's main purpose is just for boost until the large one is spooling up.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #26
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
Jet, you kindof answered the question yourself. It goes into the intake of the large one, but to be effective it needs the intake gate closed. It does help the large turbo spool somewhat, I'm sure, but I think it's main purpose is just for boost until the large one is spooling up.
I didn't have a question. If the only purpose was to provide low end boost, why would they route the output of the little turbo into the big one and not just bypass it all together? It has to be to spool the big one, otherwise it would be easier to run a staged system.

Old 11-20-2008   #27
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

But it's not spooling the bigger one, if it was, it would be directed to the turbine wheel, not the compressor wheel. That's simply forcing more air in, but not really helping spool the turbo.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #28
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Are you saying to aim the compressor outlet of the smaller turbo at the turbine inlet of the larger turbo? It could work the way it is if they are using a smaller turbine wheel on the GT28R to spool it quickly, then switch the valves before it chokes. It all depends on the turbine to compressor ratio's of the turbo.