MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 08-25-2011   #241
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Re: The Gun Thread

Nice! I was thinking about getting a handgun someday, maybe I'll have to pick your brain someday about guns.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #242
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Very cool!

I just picked up my first guns as well last week. Two basic hunting guns that I plan to use this fall for deer in MN and WI -(shotgun only in hudson area).

30-06 Remington 770 Bolt action rifle with scope.

Mossberg 500 20 Gauge Rifled slug deer barrel as well as turkey shot barrel. Just ordered a scope for that as well.

Next year id like to pick up a handgun of some sort too.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #243
User Name
Hates blue couplers.

BMX Ramp Champion! BMX Stunts Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: White 1Gb TSi
Send a message via AIM to User Name Send a message via MSN to User Name Send a message via Yahoo to User Name

I recently received a pistol just like that 1Quick4. I didn't know what it was for a while but then I had some people look at it on another forum and it came out to be a Star Ruby in .32, I won't be attempting to shoot it.

Won a cabelas giftcard at bingo, going to get a tac scope for the Saiga!
FP Turbo kit
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #244
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I recently received a pistol just like that 1Quick4... I won't be attempting to shoot it.
Why no shoot it?
Old 09-22-2011   #245
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

http://www.shtf1.com/

I'll be going to this on Saturday. It's an end-of-the-world themed 3 gun type shoot.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #246
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Damn shtf looks like a great time. I've always wanted to go to Outbreak Omega but have yet to make it.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #247
CarRacer

Drives: 91 Galant VR4

I'm looking at getting a cheaper rifle to have around. Nothing too exciting but maybe create a gtfo bag as an insurance policy for whatever.

It seems like the Keltec SU16C fits that bill and won't hurt my budget too much. Anyone have any opinions on them? Thanks.
CarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #248
blackawdtsi

A mini-14 would also be around your budget. I haven't used either but I've heard good things about both.

But if you're looking for something for a go bag, I'd go with a KISS AR15 or AK. AKs are stupid cheap but it's because of their cheap quality. I picked up one from Fleet Farm for $430 on sale with two mags. But the mags rattle and fitment definitely isn't great. The bolt kept sticking back until it worked off enough metal. The mag also rattles and some have canted front sights.

Ammo for AK47/74s is also A LOT cheaper than .223/5.56. This is because it's military surplus and is "corrosive". It doesn't eat barrels immediately but does require you to clean your rifle fairly quickly after use.

The AR15 is quite a bit more expensive to initially buy and practice with but IMO it has way more upsides.
Old 09-26-2011   #249
CarRacer

Yeah, i was looking at the SKS due to the cheap used prices and ammo. I figure for only a nominal budget increase I would get something far better with the SU. I don't really want to plunk down the money for an AR because I'll only shoot whatever I buy enough to get comfortable with it then stash it. It's hard to justify the money on something that I plan on gathering dust.
Old 09-26-2011   #250
blackawdtsi

Just remember, you will lose proficiency not practicing. You will lose muscle memory also. And you have to keep whatever you stashed oiled at least once every 6 months - year if you want to consider it grab n go or just to keep it in decent shape even.

It sounds like you just want something to plink with honestly. Get a .22 and have fun with $7/100 rounds. Or a glock with an exo coating that you never have to oil.

Oh and if you haven't looked it up yet, you'll need a permit to purchase. All gun stores require a permit for hanguns and assault type weapons (sks, ak, ar). Private parties don't but 95% of honest ones will ask to see one.

Last edited by blackawdtsi; 09-26-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Old 09-26-2011   #251
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Well if you want something cheap to shoot, easy to grab and shoot in a pinch, how about a old bolt action rifle? I bought a Mosin Nagant and 440 rounds for under $250 with a case. Its loaded and ready to go all the time unless I am headed to the range, and is fun to shoot. I figure it it takes more then 5 shoots I will just throw it at them.

~John
Old 09-26-2011   #252
CarRacer

Oh, I know there would be some upkeep in having a gun around. I used to work at the Horse and Hunt club, so I know how much work is required to keep things working right (and what happens if you don't). I'm not super concerned about being able to shoot tight groupings. I just meant able to work everything properly and get familiar with what I buy. I've also looked up the permit to purchase and know that all police departments process the paperwork for free. I've done a ton of reading so far and know there's a ton more I don't know. I know a bolt action would do exactly what I want, but I'd rather own a semi auto if given the choice.
Old 09-26-2011   #253
Scott

Drives: 2011 WW Evo X

I got my SKS a few years ago and I love it. Its more accurate than I am and its cheap to buy/maintain/shoot/modify.
Perrin shorty antenna
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #254
blackawdtsi

I love Mosins. $80 for a rifle that will outlast you. Ammo is ridiculously cheap for that gun also, 440 rounds for $78.
Old 09-28-2011   #255
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

I'd say SKS fits the bill for you. A permit to purchase is NOT required to buy an SKS. They are semi auto with a 10 round internal mag, there are few things that can go wrong. You can get one for $300 or less without the quality control issues that plague Century built AK's (any AK you can buy for under $600 is probably built by Century). I've owned a Yugo SKS for probably 5 years now with thousands of rounds through it. I have never cleaned it. On purpose. And note that only surplus ammo for these guns will be corrosive. You can easily find new manufacture Russian ammo for 20 to 25 cents per round.

If you're willing to settle for a bolt action spend a little more for a surplus Yugo or Czech Mauser in 8mm. Ammo is equally as cheap as for a Mosin but the function of the gun is smoother and faster. Reloading the gun takes 5 seconds, not 30, and the bolt wont get stuck every 10 rounds or so trying to eject a spent casing. If the SHTF I wouldn't take a Russian Mosin unless I needed it for a club.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #256
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45

I know I'm changing the subject but. Thinking on replacing my bird gun with one of these.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...model_3500.php

Check it out
Old 09-28-2011   #257
CarRacer

I was always partial to the Beretta AL390, It's a great field gun.

Can I tag along and try out somebodies SKS next time you guys go shooting if I pay for the ammo? I'd like to stick with a semi auto because I'm left handed, so working a bolt isn't the greatest for me (plus semi auto is more fun).
Old 10-11-2011   #258
98gstaherns
I need boost in my life

Drives: '14 chevy 1500
Send a message via AIM to 98gstaherns

Any one have any input on a para ordnance gi expert 1911? Might be picking on up from my buddy. All of my gun use is old hand me down military guns that have had the tar beaten out of them. Thanks guys.
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_expert.php
Old 10-11-2011   #259
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Just bought my first official "firearm". It's just a stripped lower for an AR15, but it's the part that requires the permit to purchase. I'll slowly be acquiring the rest of the parts online to build it into a longer barrel varmint style setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0638.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	12043  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #260
blackawdtsi

Spikes makes some really good stuff. Almost everything they make is mil-spec. Pick up a Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier group if you can.